DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/21/2021 - Fyter Fest Night Two

6 hours ago, Goodear said:

I hate the 'you can pick the gimmick' stipulation since you could easily stack the deck to a ridiculous degree but you won't.

Yeah, that stipulation only works if there's at least an unstated assumption that the rules have to apply equally to both competitors. That would still let the heel stack the deck, but they'd have to be slightly clever about it. Otherwise, why not just make the final labour a "Jericho can't win" match?

6 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Yeah, that stipulation only works if there's at least an unstated assumption that the rules have to apply equally to both competitors. That would still let the heel stack the deck, but they'd have to be slightly clever about it. Otherwise, why not just make the final labour a "Jericho can't win" match?

Because this isn’t WWE where wrestlers can just come out and make matches on their own right before they happen—it’s been pretty consistent that they can make challenges but Tony Khan has to actually approve them. Khan probably wouldn’t sign a match in which the stipulation was that one of them can’t win.

To their credit, Tony and Jesse are pros and explain the rules properly. Gary Michael Capetta is the real fibber with the 30 second rest periods shortening to about half. The match is indeed pretty disappointing and just a slow rambling wreck with an awful finish -- but man, they got some good juice! Foley looked to be opened from his eyebrow and cheekbone from Vader's punches and Vader emerges from the grave with a very nice bladejob. But other that than and the disgusting splattering of Jack, this one was pretty poor.

it's supposed to be "pick your gimmick" not "make up your own" which is what is supposed to preclude the "only I can win" stip.

Besides, even the most delusional heel cannot claim a fair and square win in an "only I win" match; heels are vain and proud and the point of trapping faces in a deck-stacked gimmick match is being able to claim in bad faith after the fact that the win was totally fair ["both teams had to play in the sloppy conditions" "the strike zone was inconsistent for both teams" etc etc etc]. and/or torment the fans with the illusion of hope, since the heel hates the fans as much as they hate the face wrestler.

• Like 1

I like them using the IWGP US title as sort of a second secondary title. I don't know what the behind the scenes relationship between the two companies but I'd be cool with letting guys who arn't in the World/TNT title mix fight over it and even appear on Strong or in Japan 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I'll disagree to an extent. Nyla Rose is a good on promos, sure, but she gasses out quickly and has been borderline dangerous in multiple matches. She's very good when she has someone to carry her, but as good as Britt has become, I don't know if Britt is going to be able to carry Nyla like Shida or Riho did. Every time Nyla goes for that power bomb late in a match, she looks like she's about to drop her opponent on their head. 

I'm not saying she's Nia Jax levels of bad or dangerous, but she's had more than a few near misses. Conversely, she also has all the tools to be awesome if she could add conditioning to the mix.

The Nyla is dangerous argument seems to have been hung onto well passed its expiry date.  Kilynn King almost killed Yuka last week.  Will we claim her dangerous before every match now?  Er how bout Karl Anderson Owen driving Mox last week.  Will we discuss him as dangerous from here on out?  Seems like it’s been awhile since she’s done anything to deserve her this rep.  Or is there a recent example?  I’m not suggesting Nyla’s a top worker but she’s done very well with what she’s been given.  You could argue Riho carried her a year or so back, but Shida’s inconsistent and not much of a carrier.  Nyla held her own in those bouts and gave Shida a couple of her better title matches.  Again, here’s hoping she can prove her value beyond the tired criticisms.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

That sucks because Archer desperately needs a win right now after everything. They can do a title switch back to Mox with another big gimmick match I think, and since Archer is alumni I don't see NJ having a problem with it.

Not at Moxley's expense he doesn't. Count me out on the 50/50 booking. A win just so he can lose it back a few weeks later? No thanks. If you want to keep your big stars looking like big stars, they shouldn't trade wins back and forth. I like Archer but he's not in the same stratosphere as Mox. That's a pointless change that just weakens everyone in the long run, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I'm not saying she's Nia Jax levels of bad or dangerous, but she's had more than a few near misses. Conversely, she also has all the tools to be awesome if she could add conditioning to the mix.

She's far worse. Jax is sloppy but Jax also generally doesn't do stuff as dangerous as Nyla attempts. Nyla is the worst. Legit in that tag match Vicki Guerrero, who has had like 4 matches, is the ring general and directing Nyla who is lost. She's got terrible conditioning. She's dangerous. She does a beast gimmick but gasses out so bad she can't throw solid strikes. There's not one person on The AEW roster worse than her.

(I feel the need to point out this is strictly a comment on her on air / in ring performance. I have no issues or negative things to say about her life choices / who she is behind the scenes. I am all for that and support her for it. I am not taking shots at her for any reason other than the actual paint she puts on the canvas so to speak.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Because this isn’t WWE where wrestlers can just come out and make matches on their own right before they happen—it’s been pretty consistent that they can make challenges but Tony Khan has to actually approve them. Khan probably wouldn’t sign a match in which the stipulation was that one of them can’t win.

But Tony Khan is okay with something as one-sided as "one guy can use a chair"?

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

it's supposed to be "pick your gimmick" not "make up your own" which is what is supposed to preclude the "only I can win" stip.

I'm pretty sure "Shawn Spears and only Shawn Spears can use a chair" was not a pre-existing match type.

Edited by tbarrie

Last week's Dynamite was so good that it's a challenge to keep expectations in check.  Looking at this line-up it seems hard to imagine they'll meet last week's bar.  Chris Jericho doing anything but commentary, right now, seems like a wasted segment.  I feel much the same about MJF - minus the commentary, but willing to try him there.  That said, I'm hoping to be surprised by Spears-Jericho.  Also not expecting anything great from the Blade v OC, but Cassidy seems to have a knack for finding the magic, so who knows.  Kaz-Gallows feels like it may have benefitted an Impact episode more than a Dynamite, but Kaz is consistently strong and I like Doc (tho, to his critics, I only know him from this AEW run).  I forgot the first Moxley-Archer TDM before the New Japan show it was on was over, but I like both these sumbitches and expect to be surprised.  Nyla-Britt?  Well, apparently 'Nyla's the worst', but we'll see.  Hoping for a hot crowd to elevate this show, but will we get last week or Miami?

Well, yes, but we live in a post-ECW world where chairshots are just another hold.

And banning the face from using a given hold while allowing the heel to use it is among the oldest variant of the stop: taking the DDT away from Jake or not letting Lawler punch.

or in the reverse, the face wants the heel so bad he agrees to let the heel have their normally barred hold be selectively unbarred, like the piledriver or the heart punch, or to be on brand with Spears, the chair.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gordberg said:

The 5 Labors of Jericho: Chapter 1: Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Spears – “Spears Can Use A Chair, Jericho Can’t”

As I said last week, it would be a funny twist if Jericho were just to lose the first trial. That being said, it should be entertaining to watch the veteran work his way through The Pinochle. Presumably they have four or five more interesting stipulations in mind. The story of this one also pretty much writes itself, and I trust Jericho to come up with an interesting twist in the telling of it.

That makes me hope that one of The Labor of Jericho is a series of backstage segments where he tries to best Tully in an old man card game like Cribbage or Canasta

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Not at Moxley's expense he doesn't. Count me out on the 50/50 booking. A win just so he can lose it back a few weeks later? No thanks. If you want to keep your big stars looking like big stars, they shouldn't trade wins back and forth. I like Archer but he's not in the same stratosphere as Mox. That's a pointless change that just weakens everyone in the long run, in my opinion.

Here’s the argument for the title switching tonight… It’s an NJPW belt. Those things change back, and forth frequently. It’s only natural to try something like that with this belt.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

(I feel the need to point out this is strictly a comment on her on air / in ring performance. I have no issues or negative things to say about her life choices / who she is behind the scenes. I am all for that and support her for it. I am not taking shots at her for any reason other than the actual paint she puts on the canvas so to speak.)

Friendly advice from a trans woman, and this has little to do with you inasmuch as I've seen this pop up a bunch of times in relation to Nyla (or other trans folks)...

The more someone says that their negative opinion of a trans person's work has nothing to do with them being trans, the more it sounds like that's exactly the problem you have with them. What you may be seeing as getting ahead of being accused of transphobia instead comes off to folks like me as "I'm not bigoted, but..."

We're allowed to be bad at things too, y'all, and it's okay for us being bad at things to be pointed out without people having to go "but I swear I'm not transphobic". ?

Edited by Stefanie the Human

To me, Nyla's good in short matches, but will gas (most big wrestlers will gas)

Great promo, good squasher.

She's definitely someone I'd want to be friends with IRL if she was like, a local at something I went to.  She seems legit cool.

Edited by alstein

Nyla/Britt from February was one of my favorite matches of the year. Though I did like in that match more that Britt was the clearcut heel and Nyla was more of a tweener somewhat while this time around feels the roles have been reversed and the feud hasn't been very good. Nyla felt like the underdog there pulling off a major upset in eliminating the favorite. Hoping for the best though.

3 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Well, yes, but we live in a post-ECW world where chairshots are just another hold.

This thought saddens me to the core, but given how ineffective AEW has made its refs you're probably right.

3 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

And banning the face from using a given hold while allowing the heel to use it is among the oldest variant of the stop: taking the DDT away from Jake or not letting Lawler punch.

See, I don't like that, because the simpler stip of flat-out banning the face's finisher or favourite move is the sort of mildly clever thing I alluded to. It technically applies to both competitors equally but obviously hampers the face more. (Bonus points if the heel hits the move anyway while the ref is distracted, of course.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

That makes me hope that one of The Labor of Jericho is a series of backstage segments where he tries to best Tully in an old man card game like Cribbage or Canasta

BOCCI BALL DEATHMATCH

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I mean if you really want me to be impressed by Tony Khan, purchase the rights to For Whom the Bell Tolls next week from Metallica.  If he can get then his financial power knows no bounds. ?

Hey, everybody's got a price.