DVDVR Message Board

Bask in Raw's Glory - 7/19/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I'm happy for Nikki cashing in and becoming champion and having that moment for her, especially with all the garbage she's had to put up with the for last year when it seemed like WWE was outright ignoring her and she was relegated to posting plucky underdog videos on Twitter. It seemed like WWE wasn't willing to even book her or give her the time of day at all.

On the other hand, the rest of the booking for this show was abhorrent. Fans have been wondering and waiting for months for Keith Lee. He comes back tonight and jobs to Lashley right off the bat. Just how do you do that? Why not build up Keith Lee for a match with Lashley? Why are no enhancement or job guys just to make guys like Lashley or Kross look good for one night and say "Keith Lee is back baby! Welcome back Keith Lee! Get ready to bask in his glory for real this time!" 

Even if you're not a Karrion Kross, I don't know how the hell you walk away from that with any sort of positive opinion for his debut on Raw. Jeff Hardy has hardly been a serious face in the last year. A few weeks ago he was getting squashed on back-to-back shows by Jinder Mahal. So you give Hardy the big upset and now what? Kross' big speech after the match sounded ridiculous because the dude lost. He sounded like a loser. WWE decapitated a guy who has been a huge monster on NXT right off the bat. If Kross can survive this and come back from this, it will be a miracle. Where was the rush to call all these people up from NXT if this is how you're going to book them? If this was LA Knight, I can buy Jeff Hardy winning the match, but Kross has now been cut off at the knees right away. This feels like the post YOU ARE THE AUTHORITY ERA all over again.

Even Keith Lee's comeback was just used as a transition to bring back Goldberg, f'n 54-year-old Goldberg, to come in and feud with Lashley. This is really where we are in 2021. No serious contenders on Raw to face Lashley but you have to pull Goldberg from the mothballs again to wrestle for the WWE Heavyweight Championship. Goldberg, who works like 2 minutes tops per match. Sure Goldberg is in great shape for his age, but I still can't take this seriously.

The only thing different about tonight was the booking was still trash, but live fans were back, just like the same trash booking before the lockdown. 

• Like 4

What a fucking dumb, pathetic company. And cool. Nikki is champ, but that's like being happy that your collection of whatever is currently safe while the rest of your house burns down around you.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Seriously, why are they so hesitant to commit to her as a top act? 

She's engaged to Andrade, and she had issue about her false pregnancy test which she spoke openly about?

Edited by TheVileOne

Best RAW in awhile. Cena opening was great. Six man was fun. Enjoyed the Symphony of Destruction match, which Elias is now 0-3 in. Surprised Ryker seems to be somewhat over but I've been digging his work since the face turn. Live crowd definitely adds a ton to RAW. I watched last week's Smackdown in hopes of anything big happening, which started hot, but very quickly devolved in to just another episode of any other week. I'll probably check out this week again for Cena.

Keith Lee was a cool home state surprise. Only to lose in 5 minutes was rather strange. But I am hyped for Lashley/Goldberg. Tonight and last night, Lashley has been looking more killer than ever. I don't see how Goldberg is still a threat after his last two matches getting completely squashed, but I'm still going to love this regardless.

No More Words is BACK! and with that, No More Jobbing Jeff Hardy! Been waiting forever for this and I couldn't believe he actually beat Kross (in under 2 minutes at that). Awful for Kross, but as a huge Hardy fan, I absolutely love it no matter. 2008-2009 Jeff is one of my favorite runs of all time. Push him back to the top.

Rhea/Charlotte was fun again while it lasted. I knew something had to happen and was expecting either a Becky return or the cash in.
Charlotte's last 3 reigns = 1 day, 5 days, 5 minutes. While I get the whole pushing her to 16 thing, I am somewhat surprised that they are now ignoring both of Charlotte's NXT title reigns and calling her an 11 time champ when it would otherwise already be at 13. Overall with last night and tonight, things seem somewhat encouraging to get better for the WWE product compared to the past year+ 

• Like 2

Just now, TheVileOne said:

She's engaged to Andrade, and she had issue about her false pregnancy test which she spoke openly about?

This is exactly like Lana getting tabled to death because the company had petty heat with Miro. It’s bullshit and it needs to stop. Justice for Charlotte! 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Seriously, why are they so hesitant to commit to her as a top act? 

The utter dogshit promos would be my guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Nikki won the women’s title and Kross looked stupid in his debut. Best RAW of the year.

All of NXT looked stupid. This is their UNDEFEATED, two-time champion who just beat the company's other FOUR biggest stars in ONE match. Does Vince think NXT is a rival promotion he bought? The Invasion didn't even bury WCW this deeply.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Vince probably had Kross losing tonight as a shot to HHH for losing the Wednesday Night WAR to AEW. 

51 minutes ago, Dog said:

All of NXT looked stupid. This is their UNDEFEATED, two-time champion who just beat the company's other FOUR biggest stars in ONE match. Does Vince think NXT is a rival promotion he bought? The Invasion didn't even bury WCW this deeply.

DDP says I lost to Sara so it could be a lot worse. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

I don't like Karrion Kross, he's essentially an entrance to me but to get called up without Scarlett and as NXT Champion to lose to Jeff Hardy. Oh dear. Doesn't look good for NXT itself or Karrion Kross.

And lose to Jeff Hardy, who in turn was squashed twice in one week by Jinder Mahal about a month(ish?) ago, at that! I remember how that caused some discussion.

Hey, I ended up liking MitB PPV quite a bit and was happy to read Nikki successfully cashed in the briefcase, but this is weak. Not so much for RAW, because c'mon, but this joyfully and quite on purpose pisses on, what, a year of NXT's booking? You'd think that the person who was constantly trying to split up Miro and CJ behind the scenes no longer worked for the company (with all the layoffs) but maybe they do, and have now found the next target? I mean that would suck, but at least it would serve a clandestine, sinister purpose, this seems to serve none at all. Unless, like it was mentioned, Jeff Hardy gets a NXT run out of this?

Edited by Shartnado
Typo
  • Like 1

As dumb as what happened with Kross was I do think some blame needs to be put on HHH and whoever else runs NXT. Fans have been saying for a year now that the guy is basically nothing without his entrance and Scarlet. Its been known for at least a month now the guy was getting moved up with rumors of it going back as early as January-February. We have seen for a couple of months now with fans back in the CWC how much of a shit they don't give about Kross. Why the fuck is Kross still NXT champ? 

• Like 1

Wait they moved him up without taking the belt off him first?!?!

Goodfellas GIFs | Tenor

I mean, he looked like he was gonna cry out there, but they really did shit on the whole division and not just him then. 

(Note, I only looked up and saw his reaction then the replay, so didn't notice if he brought the belt or not)

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Racking the world title reigns up quickly to get to 17.

Has anyone in the history of wrestling (or atleast WWE) had more forced title wins/runs than Charlotte? I mean hell I think she is a solid-to-good worker but she has to be the most over-pushed worker of the last 20 years. The idea that she is an all-time great, let alone in the same league as Ric, is mind-boggling.

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but it almost feels like they want her to go down as the greatest member of the Flair family because she's their creation.

Edited by killsteve
  • Like 3

Hahahahaha, they actually made Nikki champ. That's awesome. Pretty sure she'll drink in every day she has that belt.

Hopefully (LOL) they realise that actually jobbing her out *IS NOT* the thing to do here. They actually have a baby they can run with a little bit. Let her run. LOL as if. But then I didn't see this coming so who knows?

27 minutes ago, killsteve said:

Has anyone in the history of wrestling (or atleast WWE) had more forced title wins/runs than Charlotte? I mean hell I think she is a solid-to-good worker but she has to be the most over-pushed worker of the last 20 years. The idea that she is an all-time great, let alone in the same league as Ric, is mind-boggling.

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but it almost feels like they want her to go down as the greatest member of the Flair family because she's their creation.

I think she's decent... And booked basically like Lawler in his mid-south prime. She will have 40-50 reigns by the time she's done.