DVDVR Message Board

Bask in Raw's Glory - 7/19/2021

Dolfan in NYC

So they reintroduce Keith Lee... to have him lose. (AKA Back in the box with you)

And then they introduce Kross... to have him lose. (AKA How dare you debut and not eat shit first time out)

But then they gave Nikki the belt so FTW, everything is cool by me. Also, Rhea was beating the bricks off of Charlotte for a minute there. That dropkick and those suplexes esp.

I wasn't paying close attention but did Elias blade?

Most of this show was good tonight. It's rare I am willing to say that about RAW, but most of it was good. I just don't get having Kross debut without Scarlett and to top that off you have him lose. Now unless they're setting up a Jeff Hardy in NXT run (which could be fun), it made no sense.

I was glad to see Keith Lee return from the abyss they had him in. I was not happy seeing him lose only for it to be an after thought because Goldberg was back.

Well him and Lashley spearing each other for five minutes should be fun.

Congrats to Nikki.  She's made the most of this and it's paid off.

Cena's opening was nice enough. Does feel weird having him state his reasons for returning are about humbling Roman on Raw instead of Smackdown.

Six-man tag was alright. 

Was good to see the sommelier leave the women's division finally. I'm fine with him in 24/7 hijinks.

Lee returning was nice though it would have been even better if he got a victory. Felt like a waste. Should have fed someone else to Lashley. Not super interested in Lashley/Goldberg though the crowd seemed up for it.

Kross losing to Jeff was dumb, but I can't even be pissed about it with how much I don't give a fuck about Kross. My sympathy is more for NXT looking bad with Kross as their champ.

Charlotte/Rhea got solid as it went along. I was fine with the dq finish. Nikki cashing in last minute was a welcome surprise. I doubt she will hold the title for long, but its good to see Nikki as champ

This felt like the best Raw in over year. I don't even think it was anything especially good, but the crowd helps out so damn much.

• Like 1

Yeah,  i thought the show was really bad...   

i don't care about kross too much but to take away Scarlett and his entrance and then have him lose to Hardy all while he's holding the NXT title is just,  there are no words for how dumb it all is.  it's very stupid.   

Goldberg looks terrible.  How am i supposed to buy him challenging and then probably winning the title off a dominant Bobby Lashley?  That's going to be brutal.  

Lee comes back after 6 months and they have a chance to sorta redo his debut for the audience and nah.. they ain't doing shit with him either.  

And Charlotte losing.. while it's great for nikki right now..  we all know they are just rushing her to 16 so she can do some sort of send off with Ric.   4 more to go. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

Happy for Nikki to have that moment.  That was a great ending to a horrible show.  

That about sums it up. First time I sat through all three hours in years and beyond the opening with Cena I struggled to stay with it for the rest of the night. For the first show back with fans it really felt like any other episode of Raw. 

Totally don't get how NXT has been building up Kross as "undefeated in singles competition" only for that to happen, like do the Raw writers know what happens on NXT? At least No More Words is still a banger.

I really hope Bray is back soon. I try to get into the Alexa's playhouse stuff but it feels like a dollar store version of Firefly Funhouse. She's so much better with Bray to play off of (play with)?

Positives, Lee/Lashley was pretty good Cena really got the crowd hyped. Thought it was weird asshole got censored but MVP got away with a bullshit later, cursing's okay after 9 I guess?

• Like 2

Trivia for you from me...This is the THIRD time someone has successfully cashed in their MITB championship match any time on Charlotte Flair: Carmella on Smackdown Live in April 2018, Bayley at Money in the Bank 2019 and Nikki Cross AAH on RAW, July 2021.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

It’s crazy how it took the Old Man and Podcast Prichard less than 24 hours to shit all over the goodwill they built up last night. The Nikki cash-in was good. I was convinced she’d get screwed over, but now she’s forever a world champion, and they can’t take that away. Well, they can, but we shouldn’t bring that up…

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't like Karrion Kross, he's essentially an entrance to me but to get called up without Scarlett and as NXT Champion to lose to Jeff Hardy. Oh dear. Doesn't look good for NXT itself or Karrion Kross.

Edited by The Natural

8 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Trivia for you from me...This is the THIRD time someone has successfully cashed in their championship match any time on Charlotte Flair: Carmella on Smackdown Live in April 2018, Bayley at Money in the Bank 2019 and Nikki Cross AAH on RAW, July 2021.

Wish they weren’t so determined to job out Charlotte.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Eivion said:

the sommelier

I had/have NO IDEA who that guy is. 

Until you guys reminded me that Nikki is just a transitional champ I was thinking that Vince just knows merch money when he smells it, which is why he tossed her the cash-in. Probably both things really. 

The funny thing about the Keith entrance is that even the crowd didn't know who it was supposed to be until they went "oh, yeah, him". He's already changed music twice since the baller NXT entrance, right? 

I tuned in to Raw for the first time in I don't know how long. Here's how it went!

The Cena promo was good! Then Riddle came out and I expected, perhaps, some sort of challenge from him to Cena?  Instead the two of them just acted like idiots together.

Then Morrison was wheeling out Miz in a wheelchair, with Miz making these bizarre screaming noises like he'd sustained some sort of brain injury.  With two back-to-back stupid things, I kind of lost interest, half-watched the six-man, and turned it off afterwards.  My Twitter timeline hated the Elias-Ryker match so that made me feel like I made the right decision.

Better luck next time, I guess.

• Haha 1

Can we talk about Raw's selective acknowledgement of NXT? No one recognizes Dijak and Piper Niven, but the NXT champion comes out with the belt and somehow doesn't get the "Flair in '91" treatment.

• Like 2

I thought the show was decent enough, though my standards for the WWE's weekly shows is pretty low.

As indifferent as I am towards Cena, he sounded legitimately happy to be there. The trope of part time guys thinking they can come back out of nowhere and get a title shot just by demanding it is stupid. While I get they wanted a pop for their post-ppv Raw, him challenging the champion who isn't even on the show also makes no sense. We'll obviously get a response from Roman and company on Friday, does Cena have to go through the Usos first to earn a shot?

Yay Keith Lee coming back. Nay on him losing his first chance out, even if he did look good. I'd have rather him come out and actually get a win but there's still time to do something with him. Goldberg has looked like crap in his comebacks and lost quickly and decisively to Drew a few months ago. There's no reason whatsoever he should be in a position to demand a shot or be seen as a credible threat.

Is there some rule Elias has to be in one of those instrument street fights every so often? Those matches always bug me because of how expensive instruments are.

Kross looked like an absolute chump in his debut. I'm fine with him as a wrestler, but they took away the things that made him interesting in his entrance with Scarlett and his quickly steamrolling/choking people out.

Charlotte and Rhea had another good match followed up by one of the better MITB cash ins that made sense and sent people home happy. I hope Nikki gets a good regin out of it, but am not optimistic.