DVDVR Message Board

Across the (WWE) Universe - SDL - 7/16/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Lazy. They've been hyping new sets for months and all it amounts to is a single 25ft screen? Meh. They've also been touting more augmented reality graphics. Am I the only one that fucking hates those? They all look like shit. A bunch of rainbow birds flying out of Riddle's feet? Why? Am I officially in old man yelling at could territory yet? The Raw sets from 1997 - 2002 were the sweet spot. Big screen, but also stage elements that made it more than just a screen. Nitro's first set was also pretty fucking good even without a screen.

Maybe I'm the only one but I feel like just a big screen is very plain and unoriginal with no other design elements.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

First look at the new set:

Well that's a letdown. I miss the distinctive sets of old.

5 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Lazy. They've been hyping new sets for months and all it amounts to is a single 25ft screen? Meh. They've also been touting more augmented reality graphics. Am I the only one that fucking hates those? They all look like shit. A bunch of rainbow birds flying out of Riddle's feet? Why? Am I officially in old man yelling at could territory yet? The Raw sets from 1997 - 2002 were the sweet spot. Big screen, but also stage elements that made it more than just a screen. Nitro's first set was also pretty fucking good even without a screen.

Maybe I'm the only one but I feel like just a big screen is very plain and unoriginal with no other design elements.

You have me for support.

• Like 1

Yeah, there's that (Vince laughing at Kickstarter etc.), but Corbin is still one of the most distinct jerks on the roster. His new look is hilariously bad too. They need to have him receive party store (not the same, Detroiters) plastic crowns in the mail all the time from an anonymous wrestler. 

So we get Vadercito vs. Cesaro for exactly three minutes or something, thanks a lot. Still a nice bit of work. 

The new display is trippy but seriously, no ramp?

Edited by Curt McGirt

Hope main roster works out better than some of 2018-2019 did for Finn Balor. Finn had a great run back in NXT regaining the NXT Championship with standout matches vs. Kyle O'Reilly and Pete Dunne. Least Finn's on Smackdown and not the purgatory of RAW.

See this is why I wish there was a reality show on the network about the WWE creative process. Just watching people explain things to Vince. Like Go Fund me. This thing with Corbin is so dumb though. I did get a good laugh at the canned spaghetti line though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

That Corbin segment ruled. Great whiny heel with a cool twist with his rip-off GoFundMe shtick. Why do people not like that? 

Only one person here called it dumb so far. I’d expect the consensus view of it was favourable. I know I enjoyed it, I just find it funny to think about some of the behind the scenes talk and the ways people might be inclined to read into it.

Best part of the show was either that or my discovering Otis (!!!) might be in some sort of semi-push.

I did not like this show. I don't want to be TOO negative tho because having a live crowd back was 50x better than not having one.

-Vince starting the show by mumbling a one liner and walking away was... a choice...

-As was the first 15 minutes of the entire episode being videos and entrances. A bit excessive. But that six man tag was solid.

-Having Finn back on the main roster is nice. But he already feels like just another guy to me. Maybe that's a me thing tho. I really hope they have a plan for him and he gets back to where he was when he got initially injured. That was such a breath of fresh air having him squash Reigns to qualify and then winning the Universal title. Feels like a lifetime ago.

-Challengers beat champs week one. So now they get a number one contender's match with... the champs in week 2? That make any sense? Liv was over after that beat down. That was a cool moment I didn't expect.

-The Corbin thing was a fine bit. I just don't like where the angle is probably heading. They filed a trademark on "Happy Corbin". Count me out of that horse shit lol.

I get the sense having the crowd back will help them sail through the summer. But the problems didn't go away. They just have a band aid covering them up for now.

There was something I noticed, it seemed like they were re-explaining a lot (and maybe all) of what was going on during the episode. Like do you really have to explain who Cesaro is? That's shameful; you have a viewing audience, people aren't showing up for the first time just because it's live.

Then again I had most of it on mute and was watching The Sopranos on the laptop so I could be completely wrong

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

There was something I noticed, it seemed like they were re-explaining a lot (and maybe all) of what was going on during the episode. Like do you really have to explain who Cesaro is? That's shameful; you have a viewing audience, people aren't showing up for the first time just because it's live

Yeah I got this sense too. I know these shows tend to be recap heavy which is why nobody should ever watch live, but this felt worse than usual? I haven’t watched in a while so I guess it helps to know that Nakamura didn’t win the KotR tourney, but is this how they’d have presented this if it wasn’t the return to crowds? Brutal stuff. 

Co-sign @NoFistsJustFlips‘s  dissatisfaction with the first 15 minutes. Actually, very little was paced well here. The immediate dive-fest leading to the break in the main, holy shit learn a new trick. 

• Like 1

The six man tag was fun.

The women's tag was alright but served as a nice moment for Liv in the post match segment.

Bianca/Mella was solid. 

The Corbin segment was fun. I dug Corbin being such a massive asshole that he kills any potential sympathy for his financial woes. 

The main event was short and fine. Not sure why it and the six man tag wasn't reversed. 

Hope E messing with Heyman was the start of him going after Reigns. Finn back on the show is good. I really want to see him vs. Roman. Their matches in the past have been good and it feels like both are better than ever right now. Did feel like Vince could have said a bit more than his one-liner when he started the show. At the same time I'm kind of happy they didn't focus too much on it and moved on.

The show was generally decent, but having a crowd around definitely gives it more energy.