DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 26: Makhachev vs. Moisés (7/17/2021) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

Surprised Islam isn't going straight for Gaethje, Chandler and Dariush. RDA is the only viable option between him and the Top 4, but who really wants to see that when you could see him go against those other guys. It's time.

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Surprised Islam isn't going straight for Gaethje, Chandler and Dariush. RDA is the only viable option between him and the Top 4, but who really wants to see that when you could see him go against those other guys. It's time.

Well, if you're one of those top LWs, Makhachev is an extremely high risk, low reward fight. He beats a former champion in RDA with a long dossier himself, and it forces the issue.

Gamrot submitting Stephens in a minute gives me life. K-S-Dub! K-S-Dub!

Nobody in the top 5 is touching Makhachev except maybe Gaethje because he seems to like a challenge. It sounds like it'll be Gaethje/Chandler later this year though. Dan Hooker said he's open to fighting Makhachev. Either Hooker or RDA, whom I agree doesn't take the fight again, would be ideal next opponents. Looking at the LW rankings and they're a joke but we already knew that. Get McGregor and Ferguson outta there. 

Lemos looked Great tonight! It will be interesting to see she matches up with in her next fight. Tate winning in her Return was great and will be very interesting to see who she faces next in her quest to get another title shot. 

UFCStats.com.

6: Lightweights in UFC history to win eight consecutive bouts. With his triumph on Saturday, Makhachev joined Khabib Nurmagomedov, Tony Ferguson, Charles Oliveira, Donald Cerrone and Gray Maynard as the only athletes at 155 pounds to accomplish that feat.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Makhachev looks like an absolute nightmare to face. Maybe Gaethje would fancy knocking him out but I see Justin getting swallowed up.

Is it just me or does the UFC feel like they've got a lot of new fringe contenders but many of the established contenders are not exactly promising/exciting or have already lost to their division's champion? It's like we are waiting for big fights a year or two away and in the meantime going through the motions. 

Makhachev looks very good but I don't see him as unbeatable yet. He was taken down by a BJJ practitioner and almost caught a few times (though admittedly never too concerned). His standup is coming along, he's got good hand speed and is great at controlling the gap, but he's very patient offensively and probably isn't going to win a lot of fights standing. Years ago, a fighter in his position would feel rightly slotted in at 6-10 but now he feels like the division's best contender. There are similar examples, to a lesser degree, throughout many of the divisions. I suppose this is what happens when you start throwing so many fighters at the wall to see who sticks and aren't very good at creating narrative arcs for many of your top fighters like they used to back in the mid 2000s when there were far fewer shows and fighters to focus on. More importantly we have several dominant champions that have defeated most of the established top challengers so guys like Islam, Chimaev, and Prochazka are fresh challengers that could put a dent in people that have looked so far unbeatable, and in Islam's case he could fill the void his mentor has left. Would love to see Charles and he fight though, don't get me wrong. Don't think there is anybody who is more aggressive and quicker to slap on submission attempts, especially from his back, in the UFC than Oliveira. Koike and de Souza in Rizin are the only guys I've seen that can compare in agility on the ground and tenacity for submissions. I'm rambling and ranting on not enough sleep, sorry! This is nothing new but the reactions to Makhachev got me thinking about this transitional phase we are in. 

I think part of it is Makhachev has been around for a minute now. It would be different if he was just this guy who was 2-0 or 3-0 in the UFC with all this hype, and we haven't seen him be tested. He's been in the UFC six years. Khabib himself was still very much on his way up when Islam entered the promotion. I think people have been waiting for him to come along and finally prove his worth after some starts and stops in his career. It just seems natural that once Khabib was out of the division and pretty much replaced his own late father as a mentor/trainer for these guys that Islam Makhachev get prepped for a run.

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Well, if you're one of those top LWs, Makhachev is an extremely high risk, low reward fight. He beats a former champion in RDA with a long dossier himself, and it forces the issue.

I get that, but I just figure that if you get a live mic you ask for the big fish, so media and fans can press the issue for you. 

The guys ahead of him are are Gaethje, Dariush, Chandler, Ferguson, RDA, Connor(LOL) and Dan Hooker. 

I figure both Dariush and Chandler would've been better call outs. Call out Chandler who was doing the live studio analysis so he has to respond. Put it on the record. And Dariush is someone that Dana White can probably entice with a title shot if he beats Islam. That feels like a totally doable fight. 

I guess I would have figured Islam would've been a little bolder and tried to position himself a fight away instead of two more fights away. Because based on the promo videos UFC seems more than okay for the hype train to explode down the tracks as soon as possible.

You can't say people are running from you if you don't show everyone publicly that you're running after them.

45 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I get that, but I just figure that if you get a live mic you ask for the big fish, so media and fans can press the issue for you. 

The guys ahead of him are are Gaethje, Dariush, Chandler, Ferguson, RDA, Connor(LOL) and Dan Hooker. 

I figure both Dariush and Chandler would've been better call outs. Call out Chandler who was doing the live studio analysis so he has to respond. Put it on the record. And Dariush is someone that Dana White can probably entice with a title shot if he beats Islam. That feels like a totally doable fight. 

I guess I would have figured Islam would've been a little bolder and tried to position himself a fight away instead of two more fights away. Because based on the promo videos UFC seems more than okay for the hype train to explode down the tracks as soon as possible.

You can't say people are running from you if you don't show everyone publicly that you're running after them.

People seem to turn down guys all the time now especially without naming them. For example, see what Luke Rockhold is doing right now. They're not offering top or name guys complete bums. Guys in that position are trying to see how they fight in a title eliminator or for the title without actually winning multiple fights. If guy like Rockhold was naming names, it would look bad on him because it's likely he should be fighting those guys coming off some really bad losses. Luke Rockhold hasn't won a fight in four years, but he wants to be treated like Nate Diaz who can go on a 15 fight losing streak and still get a #1 contender like Leon Edwards since he's a draw. So a bigger name can say he isn't going to fight a Makhachev as long as he's legit top guy because Makhachev just fought in his main event last night. 

I think Makhachev called out RDA since he was suppose to fight him twice last year before COVID and injuries got in the way. That and Dos Anjos isn't really in the position to turn that fight down like those others guys.

Surreal to see Miesha back after 5 years and a solid comeback win. Sad to see Marion go, always a big fan of hers ever since she got robbed against Ashlee Evans Smith and then went on a nice win streak after that for a little bit.  Now she ends her career getting stopped for the very first time.

Lemos 30 second knockout of Montserrat was wild, as was Gamrot's submission of Jeremy Stephens. 

Since he has dropped to strawweight, Amanda Lemos has looked like really good. Maybe it's the level of talent as far as her opposition is concerned, but she has an eye catching performance every time out. She has this supreme confidence also where she performs like she belongs there. In a really tough and deep division, that's critical. 

• Like 1