DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 26: Makhachev vs. Moisés (7/17/2021) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

217977503_10159511576336276_512526092903

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 26: Makhachev vs. Moisés 
July 17, 2021
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Islam Makhachev (155.5) vs. Thiago Moisés (156) - Makhachev, SUB (rear naked choke), R4 (2:38)
Marion Reneau (136) vs. Miesha Tate (135) - Tate, TKO (punches), R3 (1:53)
Mateusz Gamrot (155.5) vs. Jeremy Stephens (156) - Gamrot, SUB (kimura), R1 (1:05)
Rodolfo Vieira (185) vs. Dustin Stoltzfus (185.5) - Vieira, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (1:54)
Billy Quarantillo (146) vs. Gabriel Benítez (145.5) - Quarantillo, TKO (punches), R3 (3:40)

ESPN / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Daniel Rodriguez (171) vs. Preston Parsons (169.5) - Rodriguez, TKO (punches), R1 (3:47)
Amanda Lemos (115.5) vs. Montserrat Ruiz (113.5) - Lemos, KO (punches), R1 (0:35)
Khalid Taha (135.5) vs. Sergey Morozov (135) - Morozov, DEC (unanimous)
Francisco Figueiredo (125.5) vs. Malcolm Gordon (125.5) - Gordon, DEC (unanimous)
Alan Baudot (246) vs. Rodrigo Nascimento (259) - Nascimento, TKO (punches), R2 (1:29)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Rodrigo Nascimento
Performance of the Night: Rodolfo Vieira
Performance of the Night: Mateusz Gamrot
Performance of the Night: Miesha Tate

Rating: 867,000 viewers

7 minutes ago, twiztor said:

not much for name recognition on this card, but i see some potentially fun matchups.

most excited for Miesha Tate's return!

It's pretty unique to have someone coming back from retirement vs. someone who is immediately retiring after the fight no matter what.

I haven't been keeping up with Tate's journey so I didn't even know she was returning until last week, any early signs on if this is a serious return to get back in the title picture, or just an "old timer" getting one more paycheck? I'm intrigued either way, always liked her.

26 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I haven't been keeping up with Tate's journey so I didn't even know she was returning until last week, any early signs on if this is a serious return to get back in the title picture, or just an "old timer" getting one more paycheck? I'm intrigued either way, always liked her.

it seems like a serious return to me, although 1) i don't think she'll get back to the top of the division, and 2) it likely depends on how this first fight back goes.  she's about to turn 35, so right at that neutral spot between prime and decline.

• Like 2

Tate's super rehearsed Oprah-esque was, uh, refreshing in an MMA context if nothing else. Definitely felt like Miesha. I think the outcome she's most hoping for is "Oh my God, Women's 135 is so shallow" and hoping she can get shot at a vacant title if Nunes retires early like she loves to hint at. I think the UFC wants to feed her to a prospect on a big show.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Tate's super rehearsed Oprah-esque was, uh, refreshing in an MMA context if nothing else. Definitely felt like Miesha. I think the outcome she's most hoping for is "Oh my God, Women's 135 is so shallow" and hoping she can get shot at a vacant title if Nunes retires early like she loves to hint at. I think the UFC wants to feed her to a prospect on a big show.

I was going to say the same thing. I think the division is in a worse off place than it was five years ago. Problem is the same woman she was in against when it looked like she would rather be anywhere else but the Octagon is still champion. The same reason that would motivate Tate to come back is probably the same reason that is keeping Nunes from retiring. At this point, Nunes could rack up some Carlos Monzon/Bernard Hopkins middleweight title defense numbers.

Miesha never got enough credit as an action fighter, especially given she was doing it when women's MMA wasn't an easy sell. Not just great to see her back in there - it's just as great to see that she's still one of my fave Round Three fighters of all time.

• Like 1

The complete Dagestani Invansion is still in play. An Islam Makachev / Askar Askarov / resurgent Zabit championship trio in 2022 is not impossible. Magomed Ankalaev is right there. Bellator has another Nurmagomedov and the scientifically perfectly named Magomed Magomedov (until they invent a Magomed Silva). The first wave has yet to break.