MLB 2021 - Bottom Half

Dolfan in NYC

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

First I wanna see what they are giving up

Second - I am not exactly the biggest Gallo fan

Third - he doesn't pitch

But..... dingers!!

As for what they're giving up (copied from mlbtraderumors.com):

7:38 pm: The Rangers are acquiring a group of prospects in return. Trevor HauverGlenn OttoEzequiel DuranEverson Pereira and Randy Vasquez all seem likely to wind up as part of the return, report Adler, Weaver and Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic (Twitter link). Jeff Passan of ESPN (Twitter link) reports that Josh Smith is also part of the return. The deal is still pending review of medicals.

7:03 pm: The Yankees are acquiring Joey Gallo from the Rangers, reports Levi Weaver of the Athletic (Twitter link). Jack Curry of YES Network reported earlier this evening that the Yankees were making a push for an impact left-handed bat in the Gallo mold. Reliever John King is also likely to head to the Bronx, reports Lindsey Adler of the Athletic (Twitter link).

Edited by BrianS81177

Theoretically this will be the Yanks only move since they are now basically at the luxury cap

How one doesn't improve that pitching is beyond me but we shall see

15 minutes ago, elizium said:

Is this the Nats 3rd outbreak in 2 seasons? Didn't they have one last year and one earlier this year?

They had one to start this season as their first 4 games were postponed.

Last year I don't remember the details other than Juan Soto testing positive at the start of the city and DC proper not allowing him to return for awhile due to their protocols

• Like 1

Sounds like the initial reports about the Gallo trade were a little off:

The Rangers and Yankees are reportedly nearing agreement on a deal that would send Joey Gallo and Joely Rodríguez to the Bronx in exchange for a four-player prospect package. Once finalized, the expectation is that Texas will receive infielders Ezequiel DuranJosh SmithTrevor Hauver and right-handed pitcher Glenn Otto in return. (Initial reports had suggested outfielder Everson Pereira and righty Randy Vasquez might also be involved, but the expectation is now that those two players will remain with New York).

And the Yanks are getting Anthony Rizzo

5:47 pm: In exchange, Chicago will pick up two prospects — outfielder Kevin Alcantara and right-hander Alexander Vizcaino –– Curry reports. He adds that the Cubs will retain the entirety of Rizzo’s remaining salary.

5:29 pm: The Yankees are nearing a deal to acquire Anthony Rizzo from the Cubs, reports Jack Curry of the YES Network (Twitter link). The trade appears to be complete, with Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic reporting that Rizzo has been informed of the move.

It’s a surprising strike for the Yankees, who just yesterday swung a deal for another corner bat in Joey Gallo. The front office continues to bolster the offense, adding another above-average hitter to a lineup that has underperformed expectations over the course of the year. It doesn’t hurt that Rizzo — like Gallo — hits from the left side, adding balance to an order that was extremely right-handed heavy two days ago.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It appears that the Padres are getting Max Scherzer

So while they had a framework in place - the Nats were still taking other offers and they got a better one...

The Dodgers are getting Scherzer AND Trea Turner

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Cubs Twitter def not happy about the Rizzo trade. 

Nor should they be. We got a fucking 24 year old dude who is still in AA. Here's also the current state of the Cubs farm. That guy is probably either the #2 or #11 in our farm system now. I'm not even sure about the other player. One of them was described as being Dexter Fowler lite, which is fucking hilarious. Great. We got a worse Dexter Fowler, which is about everyone that sucks in MLB. I also don't know what the Yankees are even doing either. NY is making trades for positions they don't exactly need and the second city team is making trades to try to have the worst farm system in baseball while depleting the major league team of any talent.

Here's Kris Bryant's reaction to all of this, which is pretty sad:

Meanwhile, some how, some fucking way, the Dodgers are probably going to land Max AND Turner. I would love to understand how the Dodgers are able to do this shit every. freaking. year.

The Yanks need a 1B because Luke Voit is made of glass. In fact, reports are that Voit's name has come up in trade talks. They want to be able to move DJ off of first so they then can move Torres off of SS (granted the SS piece probably won't happen till the offseason when the market will be flooded with options)

They also desperately need OF help because that Aaron Hicks extension looks worse and worse every time he suffers another season ending injury, Brett Gardner was done 3 years ago, Stanton can't (nor should he) ever play the field again and Clint Frazier has vertigo so who the fuck knows if/when he can play (and he wasn't hitting when he was playing)

Plus Rizzo and Gallo are lefties in Yankee Stadium (and into a lineup that I think had 1 left handed hitter in it)

The issue isn't with those trades - it is them not bringing in pitching help

Just now, RIPPA said:

The issue isn't with those trades - it is them not bringing in pitching help

That's the part I'm focused on. I'm not a big Yankees follower, but Jomboy and his brother are, not to mention yourself, and the Yankees aren't doing the thing I understand that they need from the Yankees fans that I follow. Gallo and Rizzo will be good with the Yankees. Actually, Rizzo should be able to put on a hell of a show for the Yankees and maybe he'll be more motivated to play for a team that isn't determined to tank without any sort of rebuild plan. Oh well. Rizzo was awesome and hopefully someone in NY convinces him to get a vaccine. Aside from not getting vaccinated, Anthony is a hell of a guy and has been the new Mr. Cub for the entire time he was there. I really hope he works out well for you guys. It's not his fault that Jed Hoyer sucks and Tom Ricketts is a piece of shit.

• Like 1

I mean, I get the injury issues, and the Yanks had no outfield to speak of when Judge can't play and have had ZERO production at 1B, but their pitching has been melting down and they did NOTHING to remedy that, and even with Chicago footing Rizzo's bill the rest of the year, they still have no room under the Tax cap (that LA has ZERO issue ignoring) to get help.  

Getting Gallo and Rizzo to reinforce the position stuff is great, but, given that the fucking RAYS put up 15 today, you have to address the pitching unless this season is a wash.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Not all fun trade news today

EDIT - The Athletic says he is having surgery on his hip and his toes

That's a weird combo to have surgery on unless he's got circulation issues which could be really bad.