DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2021 - Bottom Half

Dolfan in NYC

The thing that many expected to happen months ago finally happened

Milwaukee's Corbin Burnes and Josh Hader combined to no-hit Cleveland

It is the 9th no hitter of the season setting the mark for most in a single season

There have also been 2 7 inning no hitters this year

Cleveland has also become the first team to be no hit three times in a single season.

Re: seven inning no hitters, I’ll get back to you in a few minutes about Keegan Akin...

Update: Vladdy singles on first pitch of the seventh. Then Bo homers. Thank god, that was depressing 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Scherzer has become the 19th member of the 3000 strike out club. Next closest among active pitchers are Greinke (2799) and Kershaw (2653). 

He also had an immaculate inning during the game.

ESPN had an article out this week that he might be the best tradeline acquisition ever and he definitely is in the conversation

56 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

ESPN had an article out this week that he might be the best tradeline acquisition ever and he definitely is in the conversation

Hosmer just 2B to break up the perfecto after 7.1 IP.

Edited by grilledcheese

13 minutes ago, Raziel said:

*looks around to see if all those people that wanted Girardi gone are just as adamant about Boone...*

Most seem to be, though between COVID and the injuries - there is a decent chance he sticks around.

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Most seem to be, though between COVID and the injuries - there is a decent chance he sticks around.

Yeah, I was gonna say...  Boone's head is firmly on the chopping block right now.  I'm just waiting for one of the NY media sycophants like Bruce Beck to turn on him.  Though, whenever this season wraps up, I fully expect them to say "and now tied for the longest time between WS championships" to begin their big red flag waving.    

(Yes, I know Highlanders-Yankees is technically the longest.)

Also in a sign the Yanks totally aren't panicking or anything

Gleyber Torres is being moved to 2B to "take some pressure off" per Aaron Boone

They will use a combo of Tyler Wade and Gio Urshela at SS with DJ LeMahieu at 3B

I mean the move was long expected for this offseason (considering there are like 842 FA SS). Heck many were calling for it this past offseason (or to just trade Torres)

It's not like Torres bat is worth the gaping hole at SS (now soon to be 2B).  

I'm also not convinced that this is totally a Boone problem, but a Cashman/Analytics team problem.  They team had their best stretch when everyone wasn't hitting for launch angle.  Everyone comes back and the position lineup is "back at full strength" and they can't hit shit.  

12 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'm also not convinced that this is totally a Boone problem, but a Cashman/Analytics team problem.

It is a both problem - Boone clearly isn't good at his job (especially handling the pen) but Cashman did them no favors this year. I mean the O'Day and Wilson signings were the abject disasters that everyone expected them to be.

But hey - Corey Kluber threw a no hitter!

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:

He's definitely right up there.  Doyle Alexander technically wasn't at the trade deadline - he was after - but he's the gold standard for these kind of deals.  11 starts in a month and a half, 88 innings total, and his team never trailed even once, while he put up a 1.53 ERA.

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

He's definitely right up there.  Doyle Alexander technically wasn't at the trade deadline - he was after - but he's the gold standard for these kind of deals.  11 starts in a month and a half, 88 innings total, and his team never trailed even once, while he put up a 1.53 ERA.

That last weekend of 87 was so traumatizing as a young Blue Jays fan.

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

Passan has it hidden behind the paywall but he teased it again via Twitter today - its Scherzer, Doyle, Big Unit and Rick Sutcliffe were the folks he was discussing (and it was now clear he was talking just pitching pickups)

Side note - Scherzer has an ERA of 0.88 in his first 8 starts with the Dodgers (LA has won all 8 games). That is the lowest ERA since it became an official stat that a player has had in their first 8 starts with a team.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Passan has it hidden behind the paywall but he teased it again via Twitter today - its Scherzer, Doyle, Big Unit and Rick Sutcliffe were the folks he was discussing (and it was now clear he was talking just pitching pickups)

Side note - Scherzer has an ERA of 0.88 in his first 8 starts with the Dodgers (LA has won all 8 games). That is the lowest ERA since it became an official stat that a player has had in their first 8 starts with a team.

Randy is disqualified simply for faking an injury to force the trade. Screw him. 

• Like 1