DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2021 - Bottom Half

Dolfan in NYC

I'm a little buzzed right now, but I'm at brunch right now, the tv has something on called Perfect Game TV.  

I've seen cameos from 90s second tier stars like Tim Gordon and Charles Johnson (!).  The years have been... Bountiful for C Jo.

I used not to mind Buck when McCarver was around, because I figured if Buck was talking then McCarver wasn't.  Then McCarver retired.

I had a clear view of Buck from above him where I was sitting during the World Series game I went to in 2019.  17 year old me could've probably hit him with a throw from where I was sitting.  48 year old noodle armed me was sorely tempted to give it a shot.

Injury updates

George Springer left last night's game with a mild ankle sprain. X-rays were negative

Turns out Mookie Betts has a bone spur on his right hip. The Dodgers and Betts are both hoping they can delay surgery until the offseason

Padres Drew Pomeranz will undergo surgery to repair a torn flexor tendon and is done for the year

Oh and Luis Severino is having another MRI on Monday after feeling tightness in his shoulder during rehab so that is swell....

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

To clarify - it wasn’t Gilbert’s debut. It was his first career start.

He had some bullpen appearances previously 

And it wasn't the debut for the guy in 1953 (Bobo Holloman) either.  Here's hoping Gilbert lasts longer than Bobo, who only pitched that one season (because he was terrible). 

10 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Watching Kevin Pillar relieve Brandon Drury put wind in my sails. 

Somewhere Tony La Russa is demanding someone throw at Matt Beaty

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 11:09 AM, RIPPA said:

The Dodgers are supposedly signing Cole Hamels

And Cole Hamels was already placed on the 60 day so he will not pitch for the Dodgers this year (if ever)

He felt shoulder pain while throwing a simulated game

9 hours ago, Rocco said:

The Mets fucking suck.  That's all I have to say really.  Frankly I'm ashamed and depressed.  

To be fair, they're in the midst of a 13 game stretch where all opponents are at winning percentages of .600+

Last time that happened was 1980. 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In his first start with the Padres - Jake Arrietta gave up 5 runs and then left the game injured

Sounds about right

I can't help but feel like this was an "injury".  

• Like 1

Two "cheating" related notes from last night

1) Arizona's Caleb Smith was ejected after "suspicious spots" were found on his glove. That was at the end of the 8th inning. He had passed a check after the 6th inning. Smith says they were just dirt. He almost assuredly will become the 2nd player suspended since MLB has pretty much acknowledged they just base the suspension on the ump's report. And on that note - the crew chief last night, Tom Hallion, was the crew chief when Hector Santiago was ejected and suspended

2) White Sox Lance Lynn was ejected after he chucked his belt at the ump during the foreign-substance check

After getting the third out in the top of the fourth inning, Lynn came off the mound quickly while third-base umpire Nic Lentz tried to track him down for a normal inspection of his hat, glove and belt for sticky stuff.

Lynn left his hat and glove on the dugout railing for inspection but not his belt.

"He was late getting over, so I left my glove and my hat, and then while I was going down in the dugout, trying to see the trainers because I'm dealing with something, he yells at me that he needs to see my belt," Lynn said after Chicago's 3-2 win. "So I toss it up and then he throws me out."

Lynn, manager Tony La Russa and the umpires argued for several minutes, but even La Russa admitted later that a player can't throw equipment -- or in this case a belt -- at the umpires.

I watched the video of Lance Lynn's ejection.  No question the umpire was late getting over there.  Lynn was already in the dugout and several feet away from the rest of his stuff by the time the ump got there.

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In his first start with the Padres - Jake Arrietta gave up 5 runs and then left the game injured

Sounds about right

To be fair, Crismatt had a worse day.

Detroit Tigers legend, and Detroit native, Bill Freehan passed away today at the age of 79.  He's been fighting a long battle with Alzheimer's.  Freehan is a forgotten great player - 11-time All-Star, 5-time Gold Glove winner, back-to-back top-3 MVP finisher - who is often overlooked because the end of his career overlapped that of Johnny Bench.  Freehan still holds the all-time Big Ten single season batting average record - .585 in 1961.  Mr. Tiger, Al Kaline, called Freehan the best teammate he ever played with.

Freehan is perhaps best remembered for successfully blocking the plate on Lou Brock at a pivotal moment of the 1968 World Series.  Here he is discussing the moment along with umpire Doug Harvey explaining his call:

https://youtu.be/VYv0FtTPhco?t=1873

RIP to Bill Freehan.