DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2021 - Bottom Half

Dolfan in NYC

The Padres/Nats game has been suspended/postponed as a shooting occurred right outside the park

Two shot - police say there is currently no active threat

It seems that things are fine in the ballpark but unfortunately there are a lot of panicked fans in the right field area that are frantically running out of the area and probably making it worse ?

The game has been suspending to no surprise.  

Meanwhile on a lighter note,  the Yankees and Red Sox are desperately trying to get to the 7th inning in a complete mess of rain right now .  Have to think it would have been delay if this was the 4th inning 

Edited by hammerva

The Ben and Julianna Zobrist stuff just gets worse and worse. For those that may have missed it, the two are getting divorced because Julianna was fucking their pastor and that pastor was also defrauding their charity organization. Julianna now want's an additional $4 million from Ben because Ben took a leave of absence from the Cubs, which forfeited $8 million in salary. A leave of absence he took because he found out his wife and pastor were both betraying him and stealing from his charity.

I mean, what in the fuck.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The Ben and Julianna Zobrist stuff just gets worse and worse. For those that may have missed it, the two are getting divorced because Julianna was fucking their pastor and that pastor was also defrauding their charity organization. Julianna now want's an additional $4 million from Ben because Ben took a leave of absence from the Cubs, which forfeited $8 million in salary. A leave of absence he took because he found out his wife and pastor were both betraying him and stealing from his charity.

She seems nice.

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Even the sclerotic corrupt overflowing toilets that are America's courts should have enough sense to tell this woman to go scratch her ass.

The Rangers have been shutout in their last 3 games, losing them by a combined score of 29-0

The last major league team to allow that many runs while being shut out in three straight games was the 1906 Brooklyn Superbas, who were outscored 31-0 between July 6-9.

Also

The Rangers have now been outscored 51-7 in their last six games, the worst run differential (-44) in any six-game span in franchise history and the worst by any team this season.

The City of Oakland and the baseball team continue to feud as we have reached the point where MLB themselves has said the team can get the fuck out of dodge if they don't get a new stadium

Oakland City Council members voted 6-1 in favor of a non-binding term sheet for the Oakland Athletics' proposed waterfront ballpark on Tuesday, but the session ended with confusion as to whether negotiations between the city and the team would continue.

A's president Dave Kaval stated during the session that the new term sheet, consisting of city amendments, "is not a business partnership that works for us," echoing his sentiments from Monday when he told ESPN that a "yes" vote under the city's terms was "akin to a 'no' vote." Kaval expressed concern that some of the amendments -- covering affordable housing and anti-displacement protections, among other items -- consisted of language that the A's were seeing for the first time and that the team was "still digesting" some of them.

The A's did not immediately respond to a request for comment at the conclusion of the session. In a joint statement, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, City Council president Nikki Fortunato Bas and vice mayor Rebecca Kaplan called the vote "a milestone in our mission to keep the A's rooted in Oakland and build a world-class waterfront ballpark district that will benefit the community for generations to come."

The biggest issue coming in stemmed from a $352 million payment in offsite transportation improvements and infrastructure upgrades that the city did not agree to subsidize by creating a second financing district at Jack London Square, which sits adjacent to the Howard Terminal site where the 35,000-seat stadium would be constructed. In its presentation, city official Elizabeth Lake ensured that the A's would be reimbursed for that payment through local, state, federal and other regional funds, saying: "We believe the city has solved the issue the A's identified as most critical."

The A's, seemingly, did not agree.

"There has been progress in the negotiation," Kaval said when it was his turn to speak. "We've moved and made concessions, the city's made concessions, but I think it is important to remember that the current term sheet, even with these amendments, is not something that the A's have consensus around. It's not a term sheet that we proposed, with edits that we have come together in mutual agreement, and I just really wanna stress that voting 'yes' on something that we don't agree with, or that we don't have consensus around, is not an effective path forward. And so I really wanna work with the council to see how we can get something that we agree to voted on before the [summer] recess, as opposed to voting on something that doesn't work for our side."

Carroll Fife, the lone Oakland City Council member who abstained from voting, circled back with Kaval to clarify his stance and stated: "I'm not exactly [sure] why we're even here today."

"If the A's are not happy with what was produced today," Fife went on, "and are still talking about leaving after the city has bent over backwards and provided some of their best work in the interest of Oakland residents, and come up with all of these concessions, even about how all of these wealthy owners don't have to pay for off-site infrastructure, I don't know where we go from here -- after doing somersaults, after receiving insults, after being disrespected, after all of the things Oakland A's fans and Oakland residents have gone through over this last little while. I don't know where we go from here if they're still telling us that they are not rooted in Oakland, that they are not willing to accept what the city staff has put together. ... It's not a negotiation. It's really, 'Do what we say, or we will leave.' That is not rooted. That is not respectful."

The A's have spent the better part of the past two decades hoping to secure a new stadium in the Bay Area, a pursuit that took them through San Jose, Fremont and multiple sites in Oakland, most notably around Laney College. Renovations of the current Coliseum site, where the A's have played since 1968, have been deemed nonviable largely because of they team's stated desire for a downtown location.

All that is seemingly left to prevent the A's from leaving Oakland -- and following the recent paths of the NBA's Golden State Warriors and the NFL's Las Vegas Raiders -- is this latest ballpark proposal in the Port of Oakland.

The A's made public proposals in April stating they would privately finance the ballpark, which will cost an estimated $1 billion, while also providing $450 million in community benefits and arranging for an additional $11 billion in private investment to eventually build up the surrounding neighborhood. But the City of Oakland made a counterproposal on Friday that Kaval said Monday "lacks details and specifics and really doesn't answer any of the questions that we have that needed to be addressed to continue to move forward."

The project also includes 3,000 residential units, up to 1.5 million square feet of commercial space, up to 270,000 square feet for retail, an indoor 3,500-seat performance center, 400 hotel rooms and up to 18 acres of publicly accessible open space.

The A's lease at what is now called RingCentral Coliseum expires after the 2024 season. If ultimately approved, the Howard Terminal ballpark wouldn't be ready until 2027 at the earliest, leaving the A's with at least a two-year gap to cover in Oakland.

In the meantime, team officials have continued exploring Las Vegas and its surrounding areas as an alternative. Kaval and A's owner John Fisher have made three trips to southern Nevada this year and plan to return there on Wednesday. Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred said before last week's All-Star Game that it would be "a mistake" to refer to the Las Vegas option as a bluff, calling it "a viable alternative for a major league club." Other relocation options -- including Portland, Oregon; Nashville, Tennessee; Vancouver, British Columbia; and Montreal -- could materialize if the A's deal with the city falls through.

"Based on our extensive negotiations, shared values and shared vision, we believe the A's can and should agree to the terms approved by the City Council today," the city's statement read. "This is the path to keeping the A's Rooted in Oakland in a way that protects our Port and tax payers and will produce the benefits our community demands and deserves."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31850304/oakland-approves-new-ballpark-term-sheet-say-not-effective-path-forward

I hope they DO get out of Dodge.  The folks in Oakland certainly have more pressing issues than spending a fortune to keep a baseball team in their city.

• Like 1

Skyline chili is fucking disgusting. A dude on my work team is from Cinci and he swears by it and always talks it up. It's like, that is some repugnant shit that someone threw together as a gag and called it an actual dish. We don't call the monstrosity in Elf where he has spaghetti with candy and pop tarts and syrup an actual dish, skyline chili shouldn't be one either.

• Like 2

First time seeing it and goddamn, I made it through the watery chili okay, but seeing them add all that cheese is making me retch. It would all stay room temperature and those plates don't leave any space for you to mix it together.

All I know about Skyline chili is from reading Peter King in the 90s and early Aughts and he would always talk it up. It all makes sense now

• Haha 3