DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 8 (now with Results!)

The Natural

Full results since y'all were too lazy to post them (he says as he lazily copies/pastes results from puroresufan.com):

NJPW “WRESTLE KINGDOM 8 IN TOKYO DOME”, 1/4/14 (WPW/PPV/iPPV)
Tokyo Dome
35,000 Fans – No Vacancy

0. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Tomoaki Honma, Captain New Japan & BUSHI beat Manabu Nakanishi, Super Strong Machine, Jushin Thunder Liger & Yohei Komatsu (8:11) when Tenzan used a modified crab hold on Komatsu.
1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title – 4WAY Match: Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson © beat KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley, TAKA Michinoku Kaientai Dojo & Taichi and Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov (10:35) when Matt pinned Taichi after the More Bang For Your Buck (1st defense).
2. IWGP Tag Team Title: Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows beat Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. © (10:27) when Anderson pinned Archer after the Magic Killer to become the 64th champions.
3. NWA World Heavyweight Title: Satoshi Kojima beat Rob Conway © (8:27) with a lariat to become the 85th champion.
4. Special Tag Match: Yuji Nagata & Kazushi Sakuraba beat Daniel Gracie & Rolles Gracie (9:50) when Daniel was DQ’d.
5. Special Tag Match: Great Muta & Toru Yano beat Minoru Suzuki & Shelton Benjamin (12:04) when Yano used the Uragasumi on Suzuki.
6. King of Destroyer Match: Togi Makabe beat King Fale (15:05) by KO.
7. Special Singles Match – Hirooki Goto Return Match: Hirooki Goto beat Katsuyori Shibata (15:33) with the Shouten Kai.
8. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kota Ibushi beat Prince Devitt © (16:22) with a Phoenix splash to become the 67th champion.
9. Double Main Event I – IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada © beat Tetsuya Naito (30:58) with the Rainmaker (7th defense).
10. Double Main Event II – IWGP Intercontinental Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi beat Shinsuke Nakamura © (23:24) with the High Fly Flow to become the 7th champion.

Yeah, it was a live version of MUTA, the Muta version of Hold Out.

Speaking of Muta, I don't know how he does it.

They showed a close up of his legs as he was walking to the ring and he was basically dragging one leg. And then he has a stand off with Suzuki and basically falls on his ass. But he doesn't miss a beat with the slashing elbow or dragon screws.

Just as an aside, he is nuts.  One of the worst things with him starting his own promotion is that he is wrestling more since he is one of the few "draws" of the promotions.  He hasn't been able to run in probably ten years, he just hops from place to place, and the fool is still doing moonsaults.  He is a slightly less crazy version of Funk in that regard.  If he still loves wrestling, cool, and at this point I doubt he is damaging himself too much further as his knees are already gone anyway and at least its not his back/neck.  But he really really needs to be one of those "fights four times a year in super important matches" guys, not someone that wrestles on normal tour events.  I love Mutoh, I still enjoy his matches since his psychology/charisma is still there, but his physical limitations (like limping badly after doing a moonsault) are hard to watch.

Devitt - Ibushi

tumblr_inline_myvv1yDDBR1qhf2de.jpg

A new dude, El Desperado came out to challenge Ibushi after his Jr. title win. He debuts today.

tumblr_inline_myvwxgSrIX1qhf2de.jpg

Okada-v-- Naito

tumblr_inline_myvwuhTiSe1qhf2de.jpg

tumblr_inline_myvwvcdq8j1qhf2de.jpg

Tanahashi-v-Nakamura

tumblr_inline_myvvqvoEwo1qhf2de.jpg

Who is your favorite wrestler, and why is it Shinsuke Nakamura?

tumblr_myvnheKa5c1qkz8azo1_500.jpg

• Like 2

MOAR.

SakuGata!

BdH_Ug_CAAAZN9N.jpg

Devitt!

ibpWtnE7WZm6kR.gif

BdJzaCtCMAACBIH.jpg

Yano & Muta!

yano_muta71fys.gif

Harley Race meets NWA President Bruce Tharpe!

ibgrJachDqX4SG.gif

Karl Anderson

BdH2haCCUAEuUqs.jpg

Welcome back, Alex Shelley!

iblfEm2re3FreU.gif

Most pix and gifs by @SenorLARIATO

• Like 1

Eh, didn't think it was a horrible show, but it was far below my favorite Dome shows and one of my least favorite from the past several years.  Entrances were the best part.  The first six or seven matches were forgettable and wasted a lot of big names in what amounted to cameos (booking Mutoh and Minoru Suzuki in a 4 min tag match?).  I was looking forward to some of the undercard matches, and was mostly disappointed.

Last four matches delivered, but a couple suffered from "nothing we haven't seen before" syndrome (there have been a lot of great Tana-Naka matches over the years).  Nakamura's entrance was.... something.  Something good, though.

If you'd told me a couple years ago that Lance Hoyt. Harry Smith, the Young Bucks, and the guy best known as Festus in the WWE would hold tag belts at roughly the same time, I'd have laughed it off.

Any particular reason Devitt was made up as Carnage?

So, how many dicks did the Gracies' match suck?

All of them.  Seriously, this match was just awful.

Everything else on the card I thought ranged from solid/fun to great.  I didn't expect much from Fale/Makabe and Kojima/Conway, but both exceeded expectations.  I thought the last 4 matches were damn good.  For some reason I love the Yano vs Minoru matchups.  I was really really missing Yujiro and Ishii on this one though.  The presentation for the whole show brought it up a few notches for me.

• Like 1

The show was cool. With Ibushi climbing the ranks and having every female in the arena scream his name, would it be safe to say that an eventual Ibushi/Tanahashi matchup could be as heavily anticipated as the 96 Liger/Muta match? No, I am not saying Ibushi now is on Liger in 96's level. I am simply saying that match could be on the radar. Best Jr. vs Best Heavy.

So, how many dicks did the Gracies' match suck?

All of them.  Seriously, this match was just awful.

I actually didn't hate it. But then I might be the only one that liked IGF and their random MMA tags.

What I didn't care for was the late 80's/early 90's Wrestlemania non-finish to that match.

My biggest problem with the Gracie match is that they just really looked like they didn't belong.  They seemed lost a few times, and the smaller Gracie actually looked afraid at times.  It just never clicked.  I think a singles match with one of them versus either Nagata or Sakuraba would have worked alot better.

Show was pretty bad.  Great spectacle from a production value standpoint, esp. the entrances of Nagata/Sakuraba and the main event.  Of the matches, I thought Goto-Shibata and the main event each had good moments, but the undercard was worse than expected.  The Tag Title match in particular was lousy, especially for a Luke Gallows outing.  Bullet Club does nothing for me.

Opener was a waste of Honma.  The less said about the juniors 4-way, the better.  I'm a proponent of IGF and the MMA-tinted years in NJ, but the Gracies were totally awkward and untrained, and a waste of Sakuraba.  Makabe-Fale went on forever, with Fale looking like a guy who would be quickly fired from NXT.

Crazy to not have Ishii booked on a show with so many bad performances and listless matches.

On the upside: Kojima deserves a lot of credit for making that NWA title match into something the crowd got behind, given how lame Conway was.  Kojima's charisma came through and he was working his ass off.  I have no idea what Meltzer was talking about when he called it a so-so match due to Kojima's injuries.  Dude was hitting harder and working smarter than 90% of the workers on the show.