DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 8 (now with Results!)

The Natural

Naito winning would be horrible. Nobody buys it. I understand NJPW wants a #3 guy but he's not the dude right now.

Why exactly aren't people in favor of Naito? Is it his look? I hear that often.

Also, just getting ready.

▶ NJPW GREATEST MOMENTS NAITOvsOKADA - YouTube

Well you also have to remember that in Naito's absence, Shibata started having singles matches again and the fans got Ishii over enough to be in the G1. A lot of people thought this G1 would finally be it for Goto and he got hurt. It boils down to Naito came back and won the G1 at the worst possible time on top of the fact he hasn't really resembled pre-injury Naito since his return.

Naito is also lacking in other ways. Watching the tag match illustrates the difference between he and the others. They have fire from the very beginning, while he has to warm up to their level. He also doesn't seem to have the innate understanding of his character that the rest of them do.

Yeah, just watched the tag. Enjoyed it. Naito is just a step below the other guys. He's good, but the other three are next level (especially Naka and Tana).

Looking forward to the show. Really liked the fact that they did the fan vote for the final match. Seems like something that the WWE should try with their app for 'Mania. I mean, a lot of ill-placed main events on 'Mania probably would have been shuffled if the fans could vote (Shawn/Flair closing, Taker/Hunter closing over Miz/Cena, Shawn/Taker I over Hunter/Orton, and Hogan/Rock over Hunter/Jericho) and you can use it as storyline fodder for guys pissed off that they got voted out of the top spot.

Drunk New Japan thoughts - I'm pretty sure Tetsuya Naito is just Robert Gibson after getting You Only Live Twice surgery. Any time somebody in the crowd goes "Hey, man, aren't you just Robert Gibson?", he does that thing where he opens his eye up and says back to 'em "Does this look LAZY to you?".

Nah, he's still Mutoh. Replaced the snapmare > elbow with the snapmare > senton. Still has the same movements.

I thought the show was kind of disappointing. Didn't really pick up until after intermission. Some good matches, nothing mind blowing. Cool entrances.

What were the entrances like? Unable to watch the show yet.

Prince Devitt being spraypainted as Carnage (actual comic book fans feel free to immediately correct me on that) and Nakamura coming out as the evolved form of Yujiro Takahashi, with multiple pole dancers and the biggest shit eating grin in the world, were the highlights. Also, Yano and Mutoh had dragons.

• Like 1

Prince Devitt being spraypainted as Carnage (actual comic book fans feel free to immediately correct me on that) and Nakamura coming out as the evolved form of Yujiro Takahashi, with multiple pole dancers and the biggest shit eating grin in the world, were the highlights. Also, Yano and Mutoh had dragons.

Cheers. I like big entrances on the big show, makes them all stand out. What did you think to the show?

The TimeSplitters came out of a DeLorean.

KES drove motorcycles while Doc and Anderson had guns, army gear and facepaint like they were in Predator.

Sakuraba and Nagata had a bunch of kids in Machine masks while the Gracies had guys in gis

Muta had dragons and a band playing his theme

Devitt came out of a coffin and zombied his way to the ring. He looked like Carnage.

Tanahashi had Marty Friedman, formerly of MegaDeth playing his theme. Nakamura had pole dancers.

• Like 2

Time Splitters had a Back to the Future intro with the Delorean

KES came out on bikes again, Doc & Machine Gun came out in army attire

Sakuraba & Nagata spoofed the Gracie train with kids, while the Gracies came out with their gym

Muta had a live performance of his theme with dragons

Goto had live drummers

Marty Friedman of Megadeth played guitar for Tanahashi's entrance and Nakamura had an incredible entrance with strippers

• Like 1

Cheers. I like big entrances on the big show, makes them all stand out. What did you think to the show?

I thought it was very good on the whole, the double main event and Goto-Shibata in particular. Not sure if anything topped the best matches from the last G1, but the presentation was worth at least half the asking price by itself. I was disappointed Naito didn't win, but I'm almost always in favour of new Champions being crowned. Even when they're glaringly not as good as the current one, I feel bad for them for coming up short. The show also needed Yujiro and Ishii, even if it was just in a backstage segment with Mantaur, The Godfather and Mean Gene Okerlund or something.

Yeah, it was a live version of MUTA, the Muta version of Hold Out.

Speaking of Muta, I don't know how he does it.

They showed a close up of his legs as he was walking to the ring and he was basically dragging one leg. And then he has a stand off with Suzuki and basically falls on his ass. But he doesn't miss a beat with the slashing elbow or dragon screws.