DVDVR Message Board

BLACK WIDOW (Spoiler Discussion)

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

wait so I had to watch falcon and winter soldier show to know who that was on the post-credits scene?  I haven't watched any of the Disney shows.  Do I have to watch them in order (wanda / falcon / loki) to understand? 

I want more Antman

In the long run, you’re going to need the Disney shows. 100%. In the short term, just be surprised like we were when she showed up in the show. Same effect.

On 7/14/2021 at 3:16 PM, Log said:

I think, at this point, if you're interested in following the MCU at all, you should probably watch everything.

It's more connected than it ever was, but you still have the odd show floating around out there that's not connected to the MCU, like MODOK. But yeah, going forward, I'd just get a D+ sub and watch all the shows they release plus the movies. If you watch the next Captain Marvel movie, and not Ms. Marvel (and WandaVision to a certain extent) you'll be lost as to who these two other co-stars are. Monica was introduced in the first CM movie, but she was a child, and now she's a fully grown adult since it's 30 some odd years later or so. Kamala Khan hasn't even been teased at all, so her show is the first one on D+ to be centered around a completely brand new character.

God forbid they actually do a Young Avengers theatrical movie, and someone hasn't seen the D+ shows... those people will be absolutely lost. It's going to get harder to follow the MCU if you don't watch everything, but Marvel will likely give moviegoers a small refresher course in who these seemingly new characters are during said movies.

Not sure completism has ever been necessary with Marvel. Plenty of people saw and loved Avengers without taking in all of the previous films. I saw Endgame with people who hadn't bothered with Ant-Man & the Wasp or Captain Marvel and they managed. Most of this stuff isn't difficult to pick up on or infer, and any minor questions can always be answered, while the completionists always have stuff that's there for them to pick up on without the wider audience feeling lost. 

Considering how much hand-holding and recapping Marvel did in the Loki pilot, I have no expectation that they'll ever leave non-completionist audiences out in the cold. They're never going to leave anyone lost on anything of importance. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

Thought it was mostly good. Yelena and Alexei def the besr parts. 

disappointed we dud not get to see the Soviet Super Soldiers, apart from a non powered up Ursa Major and a ref to the Crimson Dynamo.  

• Like 1

watched this in the theater last night. excellent movie, i loved it a lot. The only D+ show i watched was Falcon & Winter Soldier because i knew it had the possibility to tie in with this film. Will watch WandaVision and Loki sometime before Spider-Man 3/Dr. Strange 2 come out.

Yelena ruled. I look forward to where her character goes. Florence Pugh did awesome. She looked familiar, but i haven't seen anything she's been in, so i dunno.  Alexei was also king sized. For a superhero that didn't really have anything to do with this movie, he excelled and made you interested.

i can see the criticisms about Taskmaster (i think the comic version is an excellent character) but the movie reveal was well done and i don't have a problem with it. I love the idea that she's not the only one.

Re: Madame Hydra in the post-credits scene, i loved it. She is amassing quite a team. Not-Captain America and now Not-Black Widow? this is gonna rule. 

• Like 1

Are they doing Dark Avengers? Are we getting Ares soon?

Although, they've already done Iron Patriot and I don't see Rhodey turning heel. Or showing up again any time soon, for that matter. Plus he had all the USA stuff taken off the armour anyway... unless Iron Patriot is introduced with his helmet on, and we only find out it's not Rhodey in the suit later. Who knows?

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Are they doing Dark Avengers? Are we getting Ares soon?

Although, they've already done Iron Patriot and I don't see Rhodey turning heel. Or showing up again any time soon, for that matter. Plus he had all the USA stuff taken off the armour anyway... unless Iron Patriot is introduced with his helmet on, and we only find out it's not Rhodey in the suit later. Who knows?

I feel like if you’re not going to just use Osborn, then Ghost should be the Iron Man character.

Was it just my TV or were all the Widows ScarJo fought Black or of Asian descent?  There was the one white woman holding her while the WOC kept punching/kicking her, but I think that was it.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm pretty sure all of the Widows were racially diverse. It's become a meme on YouTube and Reddit among people who blast the film, because, well, I think we all know why they choose to make fun of that bit in particular.

My Sister bought Black Widow (2021) on DVD a few weeks ago and I got round to watching it today. I liked Black Widow more than I expected to considering the character deserved a solo film years ago and if I had my way, a trilogy. Still think the movie should've been better though. I'd have switched Black Widow with Captain Marvel's release date of March 2018. I also think this should've come out last year on Disney+. Liked the family aspect the most between Natasha Romanov/Black Widow, Yelena Belova/Black Widow, Alexei Shostakov/Red Guardian and Melina Vostakoff/Black Widow. Florence Pugh stole the show by far. Looking forward to more of her in the MCU. The mocking of Romanov's pose from Belova was so funny and when she did herself, "Ugh, that was disgusting!" Had a crush for Rachel Weisz since I watched her in The Mummy (1999) at the cinema. Dreykov was a right bastard deserving his comeuppance. Taskmaster was wasted unfortunately.

While I liked the film, it had similar beats to much better movies in Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) regarding an organization working in the shadows/someone from the hero's past as an amnesiac villian, a third act set in the skies and Captain America: Civil War (2016) with multiple baddies waiting to be switched on by a head honcho. Third act was the weakest part what with the aforementioned floating fortress we've seen before, fucking pheromones stopping Dreykov's attackers and poor CGI. Didn't need to see the animal cruelty of a pig holding its breath, just hint at it and show the reactions to. Less is more.

My updated MCU rankings would look like:

24. The Incredible Hulk (2008).

23. Thor: The Dark World (2013).

22. Iron Man 2 (2010).

21. Iron Man 3 (2013).

20. Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018).

19. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017).

18. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).

17. Captain Marvel (2019).

16. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014).

15. Black Widow (2021).

14. Ant-Man (2015).

13. Thor (2011).

12. Doctor Strange (2016).

11. Black Panther (2018).

10. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019).

9. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017).

8. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011).

7. Thor: Ragnarok (2017).

6. Avengers: Endgame (2019).

5. Iron Man (2008).

4. Avengers Assemble (2012).

3. Avengers: Infinity War (2018).

2. Captain America: Civil War (2016).

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014).

---

Now to read the thread for the first time!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this over the weekend finally, and I quite liked it, mostly the things people have already mentioned like Pugh and Harbour. I thought it was well-paced so that the action wasn't wearing you out, while also never really dragging. Having her watching James Bond at one point was a nice touch, because it was a subtle reminder that she was a spy and assassin, and that this movie is going to have more "spy movie" beats than a traditional MCU movie.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We watched today and all of us enjoyed it. I insisted we watched it first just so we saw Pugh's introduction first before going to Hawkeye

Just so I know - was there an Easter egg dropped anywhere else in the MCU that explained where all the Russians were while Thanos was around?

Also - I really know I am getting old - I totally forgot that I had the JLD cameo spoiled for me back when the movie came out. (The usual - online site couldn't keep it in their pants and put it in a headline less than a week after the movie came out.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Just so I know - was there an Easter egg dropped anywhere else in the MCU that explained where all the Russians were while Thanos was around?

No though episode 5 of Hawkeye showed us where Yelena was.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...