DVDVR Message Board

BLACK WIDOW (Spoiler Discussion)

RIPPA

General rules applies as how the TV threads have been working

No need for spoiler boxes if you are discussing things.

Please continue to use spoiler boxes if posting more than 1 image (or for giant fucking images)

So, pretty good, but clearly a middle-of-the-road MCU offering.

The plot points and developments in the last 30 minutes or so are some particularly ludicrous bullshit, to the point of being hard to swallow the rest of the movie.  In that sense, it's actually a lot like a less well-done Black Panther, which also had a lot of political and social things to say and bungled the landing. 

But, there's a lot that's good.  The Taskmaster reveal is something you can spot if you're paying close attention to the person in the suit, but even if you don't, it works.  Florence Pugh is going to do a great job with this moving forward.  And the end credit scene should make for an interesting movie or TV show itself.  But there was something missing throughout: the sense of humor or the sense of anticipation, or both, or the lack of energy from a theater that was 2/3s empty. 

Getting a lot more excited for Shang-Chi after seeing the trailer, though.

• Like 1

Twitter seems to be mainly discussing the Taskmaster identity. 

I mean, I don't like they gave him a backstory in the first place, even if I am online pals with FVL. 

So, what they did here is only a little worse in my old man book. ?

Saw it on D+ today.

Spoiler

I guess I went in with drastically different expectations from what was shown in the movie.  I had expected a kind of side quest post civil war.  But I was really hoping for more Natasha character stuff to otherwise help inform her sacrifice later on.  Instead you gotta wait for Hawkeye before any of that.  

Just watched it with the fam. Overall I really dug it, but this absolutely should've come out before Endgame - although the post-credits scene wouldn't have worked, but that's the only exception. Speaking of both that scene and the fucked up release schedule, The Contessa's debut in F+TWS was way better than in this.

I was expecting more of a Rogue One situation where you aren't surprised if everybody dies since it's a prequel, but I was happy to see at least the "family" walk away. Not sure where you go with Taskmaster, and considering that such an otherwise cool villain is now amongst the ranks of Ronan and Yon-Ragg, that's also kind of a bummer. Oh well? 

I'm excited for Florence Pugh being in further stories. She was awesome. 

• Like 1

Just got done watching it on D+ and I really enjoyed it. Parts of it felt a little like a Marvel Jason Bourne. Liked Hopper as Red Guardian and Pugh was really good and could be a lot of fun going forward.

The identity of Taskmaster was hiding all the way back in the first Avengers movie in the scene between Loki and Natasha on the Helicarrier when he was trapped in that Hulk containment unit. I love when they do shit like that.

16 hours ago, Leonidas said:

You can just say that there is more than 1 Taskmaster. Same equipment, suit etc. Then we can have them vs Spiderman and other Avengers. 

Taskmaster might not be mind controlled anymore, but she still has the chip. She could easily choose to keep being the Taskmaster, whether it's as a hero, villain or anti-hero. But, like you said, it's the "Taskmaster Protocol", so there's the possibility that someone like Ross or Valentina (or both, together) have recovered the tech and they use it for their own purposes. Lots of ways they can go with this, and me, personally, I think a version of Taskmaster will be on Valentina's team with Yelena and US Agent (so far).

I think this ranks up there among my favorite MCU movies. Funny, really good action scenes, introduces characters that are fun and interesting, and closes the book on a huge part of the MCU and opens a lot more doors as well.

I really liked this one. I thought this was one of Marvel's better offerings actually. I have read a few graphic novels over the years so I had no background for who did what in the comics.

This felt a little darker than previous films and had less forced humor which have always been my main complaints with the series. The group I watched it with all thought this was one of their best movies.

I really enjoyed this film particularly Florence Pugh. My only gripe was that Natasha pretty much says repeatedly in End Game that the Avengers were her family. No mention of her Russian crew. Other than that, super fun and I can’t wait to see more of Yelena.

Edited by WholeFnMachine
  • Like 3

On 7/10/2021 at 4:49 PM, Nomad said:

Just got done watching it on D+ and I really enjoyed it. Parts of it felt a little like a Marvel Jason Bourne. Liked Hopper as Red Guardian and Pugh was really good and could be a lot of fun going forward.

For a minute, I thought you meant Dennis Hopper played Red Guardian and was really confused.  Then I remembered Dennis Hopper died about 10 years ago and was even more confused.

I've never watched Stranger Things, so the reference was lost on me.

Caught it earlier today. Thought it was pretty good, probably somewhere in the upper middle of Marvel films. Florence Pugh was a revelation to me as its the first thing I can recall seeing her in. She was so good and fun in general. She will do well in future films/series. It was good finally getting to see Natasha's background come fully into play. Its interesting seeing how the film kind of is a true side story. Its doesn't really build into the greater MCU aside from its post credit scene. It might take place during Phase 3, but it wouldn't have really fit in with everything else they had going on. 

Biggest complaint I have is pretty much the same as everyone else's in the waste of Taskmaster. I don't think the story beat they did was bad, but the Taskmaster from the comics is far more interesting as a character. I'm surprised they wasted that potential here. 

• Like 1

I liked it a lot. Better than any Iron Man film, easily. It's the little things that put it over the top like Yelena mocking Natasha's fighting pose. Also, I assume Natasha got the idea for the parachute save from watching Moonraker. Nice.

The Taskmaster reveal instantly made me think of this:

Spoiler

deadly-friend-basketball-gif.gif

Edited by Execproducer
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Biggest complaint I have is pretty much the same as everyone else's in the waste of Taskmaster. I don't think the story beat they did was bad, but the Taskmaster from the comics is far more interesting as a character. I'm surprised they wasted that potential here. 

That's the biggest difference from comics to movies, I think. Every villain has to connect.

You never get a bad guy just trying to accomplish something, and when you do, he ends up your girlfriend's dad.

I'm not good at ranking stuff, so I can't say where BW falls in the MCU for me, but I'd say that Florence Pugh and David Harbor put in two of the best performances of anyone in the MCU.

Edited by Log
Frances?
  • Like 2

My favorite thing about Harbour's performance is that there's really barely any silver lining. With Drax, you get him saying "oh you're not really hideous." With Tony, you see the moments of heroism and bravery and humility. Rocket's a big softy in the end. Pym is cranky but lovable. With Red Guardian though, he's just a complete waste, just 100% lacking in every meaningful way, and because you can understand and admit that, you learn to not expect anything meaningful from him and can just appreciate the positives for what they are when they come.

• Like 2

Went to see it with my daughter and thought it was pretty good.  It wasn't Black Panther great but it wasn't Iron Man 2 meh either.

I enjoyed the new take on the "Taskmaster".  Tasksmaster being able to do what she does because she's an Olympic level athlete and a walking VCR thanks to chemical conditioning and a microchip in the brain makes a lot more sense than stupid "photographic reflexes."

I was pretty down on Taskmaster being Dreykov's kid.  It was a get out of angst free card for Natasha and she is a much better character when she is the conflicted assassin that wants to help humanity but only knows how to kill people.  

I am looking forward to Florence Pugh taking over..  She is going to be huge.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

wait so I had to watch falcon and winter soldier show to know who that was on the post-credits scene?  I haven't watched any of the Disney shows.  Do I have to watch them in order (wanda / falcon / loki) to understand? 

I want more Antman

7 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

wait so I had to watch falcon and winter soldier show to know who that was on the post-credits scene?  I haven't watched any of the Disney shows.  Do I have to watch them in order (wanda / falcon / loki) to understand? 

It's my understanding that people would have seen that post-credits scene prior to the release of F&TWS if COVID hasn't messed with the schedule. 

I'd say you can watch the currently available shows in any order. A more eagle-eyed viewer might disagree, but there's not been any real overlap between the three.