DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Climax 31.

The Natural

Taken from f4wonline.com:

NJPW have announced the dates for this year’s G1 Climax tournament.

The company’s Japanese website announced that the tournament will start on September 18 in Osaka, with the finals taking place on October 21 at Budokan Hall. Most years, the tournament takes place in August. However, the tournament has been moved to the fall in the last two years due to the Olympics taking place in Tokyo.

The schedule, which will feature 19 dates, is as follows:

• September 18th at Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium
  • September 19th at Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium
  • September 23rd at Ota Ward Gymnasium in Tokyo
  • September 24th at Ota Ward Gymnasium in Tokyo
  • September 26th at Kobe World Memorial Hall in Hyogo
  • September 29th at Korakuen Hall
  • September 30th at Korakuen Hall
  • October 1st at Hamamatsu Arena in Shizuoka
  • October 3rd at Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium
  • October 4th at Korakuen Hall
  • October 7th at Hiroshima Sun Plaza Hall
  • October 8th at Kochi Prefectural Gymnasium
  • October 9th at Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium
  • October 12th at Xebio Arena Sendai in Miyagi
  • October 13th at Xebio Arena Sendai in Miyagi
  • October 14th at Yamagata City Sports Center
  • October 18th at Yokohama Budokan
  • October 20th at Sumo Hall
  • October 21st at Sumo Hall

Last year’s tournament was also held between the months of September and October. Kota Ibushi defeated SANADA in the finals.

Thinking Jay White, Tetsuya Naito and Kazuchika Okada are the favourites to win. Can't see Kota Ibushi winning three in a row.

• Thanks 2

Last year we got:

Kota Ibushi, Sanada, Will Ospreay, Evil, Jay White. Tetsuya Naito. Kazuchika Okada. Kenta. Taichi. Zack Sabre Jr.. Jeff Cobb. Hirooki Goto. Tomohiro Ishii. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shingo Takagi, Juice Robinson, Minoru Suzuki, Toru Yano, Yujiro Takahashi, Yoshi-Hashi.

So lets speculate who is out and who is in?

Ospreay is probably not healthy enough by then. Suzuki felt like "we need bodies" last year so might not be in this year and Yujiro should definitely not be in this.

So in my opinion we got 3 slots open. Oka is definitely in. Finlay got far in NJ Cup and is getting title match at that USA show so I feel like he is definitely in as well. Who gets the last spot? Maybe Henare? Otherwise his heel turns feels kinda pointless.

• Like 3

I'd love if they could bring Tom Lawlor or Chris Dickinson over for the final spot. I'd guess someone from NJPW Strong.

Honestly, drop Yoshi-Hashi as well. Last year was probably his best run and I thought he was better in WTL. Throw in sometime else who can eat mostly losses. I know they won't but I'd rather see El Desperado or someone who is a fresh match up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sho and Yoh aren't getting any pushes at the moment. If Eagles doesn't leave Chaos I'm not even sure what is the long term future for them and if they have one.

Dave is saying that Chase is going to be in G1, I guess NJPW wants to reward his loyalty since supposedly he is always ready when NJPW asks him something.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great-O-Khan and Aaron Henare are distinct possibilities. We know Chase Owens is rumored. Yeesh. It'll benefit the first two to get some singles matches in. Owens is there to eat pins. 

Ospreay won't be back so there's another opening. If Hiromu beats Eagles I could see him enter the G1 tournament but that seems a lot after a lengthy recovery. 

I would love to see a split block G1 with Block A Gaijin and Block B Japan talent

Have Block A take place during AEW  with Block A and Block B winners meeting for the case.

Block A:

Moxley

Omega

Kingston

Hangman

Punk

Danielson

Darby

Miro

Archer

Christian

Block B

Okada

Tanahashi

Shingo

Great-O Khan

Sanada

Evil

Naito

Ishii

Suzuki

Tenzan

On 8/5/2021 at 9:56 AM, Archibald said:

New USA shows were announced during G1 that would put Juice, Finlay and White in USA. Will be interesting to see who fills the open slots.

Shame losing them, particularly White. I thought this year was going to be his. Felt that in 2019.

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

Shame losing them, particularly White. I thought this year was going to be his. Felt that in 2019.

Same here, but if they didn't want to give him G1 win this year then it might be better that he skips it instead of not winning it again?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

NJPW Resurgence spoiler:

Spoiler

Will Ospreay made a surprise appearance with the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship. Ospreay is cleared to compete again but he's not going to be in the G1 Climax. Instead he will defend the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship in NJPW Strong. In the main event at NJPW Resurgence, Hiroshi Tanahashi beat Lance Archer for the IWGP United States Championship. Unless there's another quick title change and there shouldn't be, you'd think Tana will bring it back to NJPW.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Horangi said:

For the replacements of last year's competitors, Owens and O-Khan are locks. I guess for the others, possibly Kojima and some juniors (Hiromu and Desperado?).

Yeesh at Owens and O-Khan. Hiromu Takahashi and Desperado would be welcome additions.

I can't see Hiromu in this or any juniors. I'd expect Tenzan in before any juniors. If they do the limited schedule like last year where you only wrestle your nine matches then it's feasible we see some older guys get a run.