DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/7/2021

Dug the 6 man tag and the Mixed tag. Main event was a huge shmozz like an old Raw or Nitro which was a surprise. The ATT guy did good heel work in Impact during Lashley's last run so I'm not shocked he was good here. He must be a huge wrestling fan.

The Black segment would have came off better if he dropped Arn, picked up a mic and said his new name. Also the purple makeup on the cheek is silly and will look silly when it wears off during a match.

Live crowd helped make the show seem a little more wild than the limited/no crowd shows. The way the arena is set up it seemed like the crowd is right on top of the ring so it seems crazy. You know WWE won't look anything like that when they go back on the road.

2 hours ago, MrKothoga said:

Who brings a sign that reads "Persona 5 sucks" to a wrestling show? Persona 5 is fucking great and even if you don't like it, why would you bring that sign to AEW? So random and I can't stop thinking about it.

Instantly brought back memories of summerslam 98 in msg where a dude had a “Mitsubishi gallant sucks” sign up the whole show. My mom had a gallant so I couldn’t stop looking at it like wth?

6 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Maybe, but if so maybe he should have communicated to viewers that such a video existed, rather than seemingly pulling the new name from thin air.

I just watched the video. Perhaps if they made one a little more tv friendly (I know AEW had nothing to do with that one) they could have shown it in clips to build up his debut. I'm happy he'll be in AEW, but I hate these surprises. I mean if you're gonna rely so heavily on people reading the internet so they are in the loop, put out a press release on Twitter.

MALAKI BLACK IS ALL ELIETE. 

I thought TNT told them to knock off the unannounced stuff after Sting's debut.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

But is it too similar to the other Jackson brother’s name????

When will we get Page/Cage/Black vs Page/Cage/Black?!???!

5 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Live crowd helped make the show seem a little more wild than the limited/no crowd shows. The way the arena is set up it seemed like the crowd is right on top of the ring so it seems crazy.

The show was packed, but I have a sneaking suspicion they papered the building at the last minute. I could just immediately tell who were the very casual people walking in. Which needed to be done in order to make it look as full as possible.

For live reactions I would say all the talking segments were the most over live. With a toss up between, Hangman(And his Marty McFly old west gear) cleaning house, and Jericho/MJF face to face. A segment BTW that produced a “Fuck his mom” chant.

I gotta give Jericho credit, since turning back face, he’s been very disappointing with creating mid-promo quips that produce crowd chants. He won me back last night with his delivery. Especially after the fan run-in. Also MJF deserves credit too, as he really went in on the crowd during the commercial to build heat.

Enjoyable show for me, but I’ll admit that it was a bit of a let down when compared to Double or Nothing 2021 which was probably one of the all time best live experiences I’ve been to for wrestling. This was… Well…TV  wrestling. A show building to a bigger show down the road, and not the big fight feel of a PPV. Still at least after rewatching Clash II, and those two Nitro’s from this building, it felt good to see my first anything in the Knight Center.

P.S. Cocktail drinks were 5 bucks cheaper in Miami, when compared to Jacksonville. But the screwdriver in Jacksonville was a lot stronger. I should’ve just got a beer honestly.

Edit: Actually the Tommy End debut got the biggest reaction. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, cubbymark said:

Did Black whiff and miss on the Black Mass to Arn or did AEW Production Kevin Dunn that shit to look like Black missed? 

I would say the latter since Arn's old ass and fused neck should not be taking bumps, but seems to insist on doing it anyway.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

I would say the latter since Arn's old ass and fused neck should not be taking bumps, but seems to insist on doing it anyway.

He connected, but with the very tippy toes. Still Arn landing on that ring mat looked like the equivalent to getting smacked on the back by a fat broads palm.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

For right now I'm choosing to believe that Malakai Black is actually two different characters. I mean, we already have a wrestling zombie and alien on the same show, why not add in a good ol' fashioned possession angle too? That could play into the "bruises" on his face and whatnot as well.

To follow up on the 10 page AEW Jim Ross Dynamite thread from last week: I did hate the "Tommy End, or whatever he ends up calling himself" line from JR. And him always saying "Cowboy Shiznit" when Hangman is on the screen is really cringe, too.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

For live reactions I would say all the talking segments were the most over live. With a toss up between, Hangman(And his Marty McFly old west gear) cleaning house, and Jericho/MJF face to face. A segment BTW that produced a “Fuck his mom” chant.

How did the fan who tried to get in the ring and got clobbered by Jericho do? Because we just saw Jericho punching someone off screen (we assumed he was hitting MJF at first) and then a long crowd shot.