DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/7/2021

I know I didn

12 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Have you ever played tag? You just gotta touch the person for a tag and then they're it. That's where tag team wrestling came from. You tag your partner and they are it. You're making up your own set of rules here my man. The only rule that has been established is you need to be holding the tag rope for it to be legal. But 21st century has abolished the tag rope. AEW had it for a minute but even they decided against it.

But as far as I have ever understood, a legal tag occurs when you are in the ring and your partner is out of the ring and you touch signifying a change of who is "it" (or legal). You can reach in. You can have a foot on the bottom rope inside (lots of babyfaces do this to get an extra spring for speed on the hot tag). You can touch a back or foot. Just gotta be one in one out and touch.

I know I didn't just make these rules up in my head.  ?  Pretty sure I accumulated them watching WWF and NWA in the 80s, before all the rules went out the window in the late 90s.  I'm at least half right, as here are the rules laid out in Wikipedia (no idea what the source is, admittedly):

The following are standard requisites for making a legal tag:

• Both feet of the wrestler on the outside must be flat on the apron.
  • The wrestler outside the ring must be touching the tag rope tied in the corner (or the turnbuckle pad in-rings which have no tag rope) with hand outstretched OVER top rope, not through it.
  • Tags are legal as long as the two team members touch.

•  

17 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Have you ever played tag? You just gotta touch the person for a tag and then they're it. That's where tag team wrestling came from. You tag your partner and they are it. You're making up your own set of rules here my man. The only rule that has been established is you need to be holding the tag rope for it to be legal. But 21st century has abolished the tag rope. AEW had it for a minute but even they decided against it.

But as far as I have ever understood, a legal tag occurs when you are in the ring and your partner is out of the ring and you touch signifying a change of who is "it" (or legal). You can reach in. You can have a foot on the bottom rope inside (lots of babyfaces do this to get an extra spring for speed on the hot tag). You can touch a back or foot. Just gotta be one in one out and touch.

Have you never seen a tag match for pretty much anything outside of the WWF/E pre 95?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I'm a wrestler, I'm less concerned with tag rule etiquette and more concerned that a jabroni will come out on the next tv show and refuse to leave the ring until he gets a title match with me and not only will he get the match, the clueless gm will give me 30 second notice before the match starts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Eoae said:

If I'm a wrestler, I'm less concerned with tag rule etiquette and more concerned that a jabroni will come out on the next tv show and refuse to leave the ring until he gets a title match with me and not only will he get the match, the clueless gm will give me 30 second notice before the match starts.

Luckily, that only happens on those other wrestling shows where said clueless GM didn't book a main event! 

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Tomalakai Blend.

Dan Lambert is a massive wrestling fan. When he did this angle in Impact, he showed some of his memorabilia collection, and he's got things like The Road Warrior's AWA(?) Tag belts. Like unique, valuable, Conrad got outbid stuff.

He almost made King Mo matches watchable in MLW.

Lambert bringing in folks to get destroyed by Archer would be a good use of both.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

The Tommy End thing is a direct product of Excalibur once again stepping on a debut and making it worse with his know it all shtick.

Based on the merchandise it appears he is just going to be called Malakai but you’re talking about him having multiple personalities or something, I saw other people talking about him being possessed. Bringing up the name Tommy End just caused needless confusion.

Gee, sure is weird that they’re calling him Malakai Black aka Tommy End on their social media then, even in the signing announcement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Tommy End showing up got a good pop (though the crowd didn't seem miced that well all night?) but seeing as how he was going by a new name with a story attached, they really should have either done a warm debut by airing his promo video or have had him cut a promo after knocking Arn and Cody sideways and introducing himself. I'm sure they'll put up his vignette at some point, but when someone has a particular character and story they're trying to portray, it really needs some exposition ahead of time or else it's just kind of wtf. Excalibur calling him Tommy End then Malaki Black was a real noodle scratcher in that there's no explanation in how he should have somehow known that. I'm not wild about his first feud being with Cody but we'll see.

Excalibur obviously tripped all over this.  Let's hope, at some point, he learns from these mistakes.  

This debut was terrific.  It seemed clear he was coming in, but it being well before a traditional 90s days made for a nice surprise.  We have plenety of time to flesh out the story of who he is.   

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

If this is the best they've got, I guess I'm going to start taking people's concerns about the long-term health of wrestling seriously. I didn't realize things had gotten this bad. Thanks for giving it to me straight. 

Pretty alright over here with Omega-Page being the best they've got.  They might even be my two favorite performers.  And stoked they waited to make this happen in front of a large crowd.  To each their own tho.  

• Like 1

I'd love to be bitter about the main event scene, but I've been looking forward to Kenny vs. Hangman since before the pandemic. It would take energy that I don't have for me to convince myself the build and the eventual match have been/will be bad. It's a sure thing.

• Like 2

I like that Evil Uno went from grotesque Batman Returns Penguin to traditional comic book aristocratic Penguin. The dude has surprisingly become very over.

I do think eventually the Dark Order needs to split. Evil Uno leading the heel side, and John Silver leading the face side with the eventual outcome being either a Stadium Stampede, or Blood & Guts. I’m leaning towards the former.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

haven't read this thread yet, so some of this is probably repeats. but here's my thoughts:

Cody/QT was a very by-the-books strap match. I like Cody. He is a solid pro wrestler. But he rarely has a match that i would consider "GREAT". And of course, he won. I thought this angle was going to put over some of the younger guys? This match was slow and felt like it never got out of first gear.
JR saying "excuse me Marc" to Excalibur literally took me out of the match. It shouldn't have been a big deal, but for the first time i wondered what X's real name was. So i looked it up on Wikipedia. thanks, JR.

that Omega-Hangman standoff was aces. that match is gonna do a huge number. i'm pumped.

Inner Circle/Pinnacle was good, but i was hoping for more between FTR and P&P. i look forward to the inevitable tag match.

Jericho/MJF segment was bleh. i'm real sick of these things. this one in particular was just painful. 

Britt Baker dropping a "blood money" immediately followed by a Saudi Arabia reference? harsh, but awesome.

This is my first time seeing Andrade wrestle. he's got a star aura. the match was a little more back-and-forth than i would have preferred, but Andrade's cavalier attitude about the match made up for that. very enjoyable and i look forward to more. They mentioned he was a third generation wrestler, i had to look up his ancestry.

this is also my first time seeing Malakai Black. good debut. crowd went banana. loved them chanting "TOMMY"

mixed tag was weird. i'm a fan of all 4 participants, but this just existed. the crowd only cared about Orange, and it showed. Even Statlander didn't get the reactions i expected.

that promo from Dan Lambert was AWESOME. legit my favorite moment of the night. 

Bucks tag match hooked me late. fun if overbooked finishing stretch. obvious outcome was obvious.

• Like 6

Love how hot the crowd was, perfect kickoff for the Welcome Back tour. "That's not Tommy End... that's MALAKAI BLACK!" cool debut there, great sell by Arn with the mic going flying. All the matches were good and delivered. Pretty fun main event. Always glad to see Hangman remain so over, though I hoped we would get Omega/Christian too during this title run. Surprised Moxley was coming back so soon with no real notice, just here's an IWGP US title defense next week but that's cool. Amused by the Dan Lambert segment, loved his Impact run and Murderhawk was the perfect guy to come take him out. Definitely wouldn't mind Lambert being a semi-regular here. The fighters didn't seem to care but it was cool to see them there. During the Impact ATT run, I loved when they had Colby Covington choking dudes out and the others there getting physical. 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

I love Britt, but she gets a little shooty with her promos and whenever she does that it makes me cringe. This was no exception. She's way too good to need to rely on shoot comments to get heat. Plus, I hate it when the wrestlers reference Tony Khan.

If Britt's the only one who does that, I'm okay with it. It could just be something she does.

Back in Steel City Wrestling, Reckless Youth would use "inside wrestling lingo" on the microphone like he didn't know he wasn't supposed to do it.

"Brother, that got over like a fart in church!"

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, twiztor said:

Cody/QT was a very by-the-books strap match. I like Cody. He is a solid pro wrestler. But he rarely has a match that i would consider "GREAT". And of course, he won. I thought this angle was going to put over some of the younger guys?

Just sharing the ring with Cody ought be rub enough for most. 

• Haha 1

Ogogo had to have eye surgery again, and Comoroto got exposed as JAG in the bullrope match.  Unfortunately, the Factory feud was kind of a washout for the guys they were trying to get over.  Ogogo flashed some potential for such a green guy, but who knows how much longer he has in the ring.

• Sad 1