DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

Anyone else find it interesting that the angle; Kenny vs Cody that had a large hand in the idea that there could be a viable number 2 promotion as both matches drew decent houses hasn’t been revisited yet in AEW? And yes I know Cody has vowed to never challenge for the World Championship ever again and Kenny’s Champ right now but I think the angle could be big in AEW.

1 minute ago, Eoae said:

So does Punk still have the rights to his gimmick name?  I vaguely recall Vince convincing a few guys to sign over rights to their gimmick names back in the late 2000’s. 

Punk owns the name CM Punk.

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I wonder if Vince deep down relates to TK. Both are silver spoon brats, though the difference being that one didn’t grow up in this business, but TK has basically created a “Family Owned Business” out of a wrestling promotion. This isn’t like the Turner Channel owned WCW that was built off the shell of an almost dead Crockett Promotions. AEW is quasi something we haven’t seen work as well as this.

Uhhh whutt? Vince didn't meet his dad until he was 12 or so. He grew up dirt poor in a trailer park in North Carolina. Definitely not a silver spoon deal. Quite different than growing up so rich his dad would fly him to ECW shows as a kid like TK lol. There are zero similarities. And the premise that AEW is a "family owned business" is faulty. No one from the Kahn family has any input at all. His father gave him a bunch of money and he started his own company with it. That's it.

I'd actually even venture to say WWE is no longer a family owned business either. Sure Vince's grand dad ran it once upon a time, then his dad, and now him. But it's not the same company. This is a publicly traded corporation now. He took the family business and changed it to a decidedly not family business anymore. There are shareholders and a succession plan that is much different than father passes it on to son like it had been the previous two generations.

Crockett Promotions was a family owned business until Turner bought them. So it's weird you single them out. In like 1985 Crockett was basically just the southern WWF. Family run, national tv exposure, too big to be considered a territory anymore. Exactly the same. Just no vision for going national with acts that hit right in the big cities vs catering everything to Greensboro.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eoae said:

So does Punk still have the rights to his gimmick name?  I vaguely recall Vince convincing a few guys to sign over rights to their gimmick names back in the late 2000’s. 

I think what you're referencing is that during the duration of your contract you sign over your rights to the character name you own to WWE for the purposes of marketing and merchandise (if they use one you already established). So while Punk owns CM Punk, while he was in WWE he couldn't legally go make deals for the character name CM Punk. He allowed to WWE to control it. That way they don't need approval for every event ad he is listed on and every product he appears on. He 100% owns the character, just while under WWE he signed over control of marketing and merchandising the character name to them. But once his contract ends he gets full ownership back.

That's how it works with everyone that comes in with a prior use name. Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Hulk Hogan, ect. If you created the name before you were hired by WWE you own it. The only grey area is if the IP was created in another company that WWE now owns. The Dudleys were created by ECW. So while they used that IP before ever even signing with WWE, WWE bought ECW's IP. So they own those characters. But outside of that situation, if you used your name before WWE it's yours.

• Like 2

The Tony Khan Rich kid diss is weak.  This is a ‘rich kid’ spending the family money on weekly Wednesday night wrestling parties for all wrestling fans to enjoy.  He’s also saved American wrestling from drowning in shit.  I love benevolent rich kids like this.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I think what you're referencing is that during the duration of your contract you sign over your rights to the character name you own to WWE for the purposes of marketing and merchandise (if they use one you already established). So while Punk owns CM Punk, while he was in WWE he couldn't legally go make deals for the character name CM Punk. He allowed to WWE to control it. That way they don't need approval for every event ad he is listed on and every product he appears on. He 100% owns the character, just while under WWE he signed over control of marketing and merchandising the character name to them. But once his contract ends he gets full ownership back.

That's how it works with everyone that comes in with a prior use name. Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Hulk Hogan, ect. If you created the name before you were hired by WWE you own it. The only grey area is if the IP was created in another company that WWE now owns. The Dudleys were created by ECW. So while they used that IP before ever even signing with WWE, WWE bought ECW's IP. So they own those characters. But outside of that situation, if you used your name before WWE it's yours.

Not quite what I’m referring to:  I’m remembering that a few people signed the rights to their characters (names) over to the company, then discovered the rights to the name didn’t revert back to them when the company cut them and had to go by a different name on the indies.  But…. I can’t think of anyone in that position, so I’m probably either misremembering or it was just a rumor that turned out not to be true.

16 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I’m The Tony Khan Rich kid diss is weak.  This is a ‘rich kid’ spending the family money on weekly Wednesday night wrestling parties for all wrestling fans to enjoy.  He’s also saved American wrestling from drowning in shit.  I love benevolent rich kids like this.  

Who dissed TK? I said growing up in a trailer park is very different than being flown to ECW shows in a private jet. I'm not hating on him at all. I much prefer AEW and what he's doing running it to whatever the fuck it is WWE is doing. I wouldn't call him benevolent tho. He's trying to make money. It's a business. He isn't just picking random twitter followers and flying his roster to their house to party and do private shows. He's a business man trying to profit off of running his business well. Certainly nothing to begrudge him over, but definitely not benevolent lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Not quite what I’m referring to:  I’m remembering that a few people signed the rights to their characters (names) over to the company, then discovered the rights to the name didn’t revert back to them when the company cut them and had to go by a different name on the indies.  But…. I can’t think of anyone in that position, so I’m probably either misremembering or it was just a rumor that turned out not to be true.

I don't remember hearing about this one so my mistake. Can't think of anyone who fits that description. Also it wouldn't stand up in court. Your IP is your IP unless you sell it. Or at least that's how I understand the law to be written. I'm just a simple bird law expert tho... so maybe I'm off the mark.

Who dissed TK? I said growing up in a trailer park is very different than being flown to ECW shows in a private jet. I'm not hating on him at all. I much prefer AEW and what he's doing running it to whatever the fuck it is WWE is doing. I wouldn't call him benevolent tho. He's trying to make money. It's a business. He isn't just picking random twitter followers and flying his roster to their house to party and do private shows. He's a business man trying to profit off of running his business well. Certainly nothing to begrudge him over, but definitely not benevolent lol.

I didn’t read your post.  It could be that I wasn’t referencing you.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Uhhh whutt? Vince didn't meet his dad until he was 12 or so. He grew up dirt poor in a trailer park in North Carolina. Definitely not a silver spoon deal. Quite different than growing up so rich his dad would fly him to ECW shows as a kid like TK lol. There are zero similarities. And the premise that AEW is a "family owned business" is faulty. No one from the Kahn family has any input at all. His father gave him a bunch of money and he started his own company with it. That's it.

I'd actually even venture to say WWE is no longer a family owned business either. Sure Vince's grand dad ran it once upon a time, then his dad, and now him. But it's not the same company. This is a publicly traded corporation now. He took the family business and changed it to a decidedly not family business anymore. There are shareholders and a succession plan that is much different than father passes it on to son like it had been the previous two generations.

Crockett Promotions was a family owned business until Turner bought them. So it's weird you single them out. In like 1985 Crockett was basically just the southern WWF. Family run, national tv exposure, too big to be considered a territory anymore. Exactly the same. Just no vision for going national with acts that hit right in the big cities vs catering everything to Greensboro.

Ehhhh… I think I got one out of those sixteen comparisons correct.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I’m The Tony Khan Rich kid diss is weak.  This is a ‘rich kid’ spending the family money on weekly Wednesday night wrestling parties for all wrestling fans to enjoy.  He’s also saved American wrestling from drowning in shit.  I love benevolent rich kids like this.  

I second this, but the majority of people who ever complain about this are strictly WWE fans or have some sort of a personal vendetta against AEW because they think they're going to put WWE out of business. Least of all, he's only 38 years old.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Anyone else find it interesting that the angle; Kenny vs Cody that had a large hand in the idea that there could be a viable number 2 promotion as both matches drew decent houses hasn’t been revisited yet in AEW? And yes I know Cody has vowed to never challenge for the World Championship ever again and Kenny’s Champ right now but I think the angle could be big in AEW.

That was a year long storyline about who is the real leader of the bullet club. I really, really, really don’t want any storylines involving evp’s and power struggles and all that. I’m sure one day they will feud and the past will be brought up, but I’d prefer them to make that as un-meta as possible. 

17 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Is there actually any issues or is it all hearsay?

Honestly I just heard it brought up on BTS. So I don’t know how true it is. It’s just weird I don’t ever see Cody around the Elite anymore. 

When was the last time Cody was seen with them? Stadium Stampede?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Weird that you're revisiting something from two months ago that the Young Bucks, Cody, and Kenny all made fun of back then. Cody not being on BTE =/= THE ELITE ARE NOT FINE~!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Honestly I just heard it brought up on BTS. So I don’t know how true it is. It’s just weird I don’t ever see Cody around the Elite anymore. 

When was the last time Cody was seen with them? Stadium Stampede?

Nah, Cody wasn't in the Stampede thing. He had a match with Archer on that show. IIRC, the last time they were together was on the first pandemic Dynamite or thereabouts. Opening segment was Elite stuff and the main event was Cody, Hangman, and Matt Jackson vs Santana, Ortiz, and Hager.

Wrestlers laughing off inconvenient rumours tends not to be the most reliably truthful thing in the world. Read the tea leaves however you like.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2