DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

36 minutes ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

AEW sure could use someone like Meiko Satomura on their roster.  They really need…the female equivalent of a Christian Cage-quality worker.

Ayako Hamada? Cheerleader Melissa? Lufisto?

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
15 minutes ago, Ace said:

Ayako Hamada? Cheerleader Melissa? Lufisto?

I don't know what you'd get out of Ayako Hamada that you're not already getting out of Hikaru Shida. Especially since Ayako appears to have just been sporadically popping up on lucha shows for the last couple of years since her arrest in Japan. Could she even get a visa because of that arrest?

Are Melissa and Lufisto still wrestling? I remember hearing that Lufisto had been having health issues, but I haven't seen Melissa's name pop up in a couple of years.

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I feel like they should worry less about farming the records on Dark and just get their contracted and (mostly) competent ladies fighting one another all the time.  Like, why is Serena Deeb ever wrestling enhancement talent.  Get her in there teaching these greenhornes how to do it.  

You could say this about the mens side of thing too. Have Dustin/Billy Gunn working with the Varsity Blondes or Bear Country every week instead of squash matches. I think that would pay off in dividends. Someone like Jade isn't going to improve by doing 3 minute squash matches everyweek unless you want her to be the next Sid. It would be great if she could work ten to fifteen minute matches agains Mickey James or Cheerleader Melissa at house shows.

As for announcers I think lack of quality PBP men is a product of the death of the territories. Like imagine if the first ten years of Mark Henry career as a wrestler had happened not on national television and then showed up as Hall of Pain Mark. Same thing with announcers no where for people to develop and Vince just seems to want "tv" people on his product 

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

So here's a thought. Lots of people feel AEW's roster is too large, but unanimity on who exactly should be cut seems hard to come by.

So with that said - is there anybody out there willing to stand up for the Gunn Club as a useful part of the roster?

They let me exercise my fast-forward button. 

Speaking of Jade Cargill, wasn't the idea of pairing her with Smart Mark Sterling to let him do the talking? Because for all that she has The Look, she has about 0 charisma once she opens her mouth. She doesn't even sound convincing hitting her contractually mandated catch phrase.

• Like 1

I think Paul Wight would improve a lot if Taz got put in with him. When Excalibur was suspended last year, and  Tony had to take over for that month or so, he sounded so much better when playing off just Taz. The same could happen with The Giant. Heck he could somehow turn into a play by play guy when working with Taz.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I don’t know why anybody would hate the commentary of Excalibur & Taz especially after they both got into a conversation about watching TV’s off a reflective surface on today’s Dark.

This show has been going on this way for almost two years, and Taz never runs out of anything to say on commentary.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

Speaking of Jade Cargill, wasn't the idea of pairing her with Smart Mark Sterling to let him do the talking? Because for all that she has The Look, she has about 0 charisma once she opens her mouth. She doesn't even sound convincing hitting her contractually mandated catch phrase.

Jade Cargill is a convincing promo to me. 

I haven't been so thrilled with the Mark Sterling pairing.  First and foremost he takes away from her stature.  She seemed so much bigger before she started standing beside him.  I like hearing her talk shit.  I want more than the catchphrase.  I need to know what Jade's thinking.

1 hour ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Are Melissa and Lufisto still wrestling? I remember hearing that Lufisto had been having health issues, but I haven't seen Melissa's name pop up in a couple of years.

Melissa had a couple surgeries in early 2020 (knees I believe) and hasn't wrestled since late 2019. I don't believe she is retired, I think the surgeries were supposed to keep her out for at least 6 months and then maybe being in the pandemic just made her decide to shelve it for awhile. Seems like she was transitioning more into training before the world went kerblooey.

When the Dark Order was in their early Uno/Stu sex freak stage, she did a lot of joking lobbying on twitter to get in.

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Just caught up on Santana, Ortiz & Hager v FTR & Wardlow, really enjoyable stuff and Young Bucks dropping the strap at Arthur Ashe would be a great moment for the two New Yorkers.

3 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I don't know what you'd get out of Ayako Hamada that you're not already getting out of Hikaru Shida. Especially since Ayako appears to have just been sporadically popping up on lucha shows for the last couple of years since her arrest in Japan. Could she even get a visa because of that arrest?

Last I heard, Lufisto spent the past couple years getting back into shape since Team PAWG was no longer a thing.

Another idea would be to try to coax Kagetsu outta retirement.

20 minutes ago, Ace said:

Another idea would be to try to coax Kagetsu outta retirement.

It took the death/memorial of one of her wrestling wives for her to work a match so that probably isn't happening, especially for an American wrestling company with no connections to her.

The tape watching me would welcome any talent from anywhere in the world as long as they had a career of consistently reliable matches at a high level.  The 2021 version of myself would concede that this hypothetical yet realistic ideal veteran workhorse   needs to be fluent in English.

The sort who can put the likes of green as grass Anna, Velvet, Hirsch, Abadon and Jade through countless reps.  Then they are on their way to becoming several of the newest generation of US-based female fighters who set the pace, at least continentally, for women’s divisions anywhere…anywhere on the continent.  Of course!

She can have blips of being a star or main eventer but it is more important to be able to work heel or babyface, maybe has a WWE run, worked tours of Japan/UK/Mexico and perhaps a stint working in SHIMMER/WSU/etc as an “Indy darling”.

Amazing/Awesome Kong would have easily checked all those boxes.  I think she still works for AEW.  Did she retire because acting, injury or burnout.  I guess Ivelisse and Sara del Rey fit the description with bonus points for both being theoretically available. Ivelisse already had one go around with AEW.  She probably won’t be an option either because she is a really disruptive presence in the locker room and acts like a diva over everything.  I tried to use vague terms when mentioning Ivelisse’s name.  We don’t know her entire narrative as a professional except to say that she left early and/or on bad terms in almost every place she worked.  So…we are talking realistically maybe 3 places for a rep like hers to take hold.

Who knows what Sara del Rey occupies her time with nowadays?

Edited by Ryan Faulconer

1 hour ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

Amazing/Awesome Kong would have easily checked all those boxes.  I think she still works for AEW.  Did she retire because acting, injury or burnout.  I guess Ivelisse and Sara del Rey fit the description with bonus points for both being theoretically available. Ivelisse already had one go around with AEW.  She probably won’t be an option either because she is a really disruptive presence in the locker room and acts like a diva over everything.  I tried to use vague terms when mentioning Ivelisse’s name.  We don’t know her entire narrative as a professional except to say that she left early and/or on bad terms in almost every place she worked.  So…we are talking realistically maybe 3 places for a rep like hers to take hold.

Who knows what Sara del Rey occupies her time with nowadays?

Stevens had various injury issues and her contract was not renewed. I don't think she delivered many good performances the last few years based on what I recall being said of her.

What made you remotely think Sara Del Rey was available? She has been retired for nearly a decade and has been a producer in WWE most of that time. She still works there.

Maybe he was thinking of Sarah Stock. But wouldn't this "veteran, Christian Cage" like woman of their female division just be... Serena Deeb?

EDIT: Debbie Malenko just returned to the ring after 30 years. Sign her as an agent, fuck it.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Looking for bookings as of two days ago.

To add to that - if Cagematch is anything to go by, Cheerleader Melissa hasn't wrestled in over two years. I think she's focused on OnlyFans these days.

Before the pandemic, I was absolutely clamoring for AEW to book Madison Eagles, or collaborate with PWA Black Label in some fashion. There are plenty of well traveled and respected female indie workers out there they could go for if they wanted (some moreso than others, the first three are unlikely right now due to COVID) - Eagles, Nicole Matthews, LuFisto, Allysin Kay, Ruby Soho, Santana Garrett, Solo Darling, etc. 

I’ve never seen RSP before. I’ll admit I don’t care for his look, but he is a damn good worker. Very much in the Eddie Kingston breed of indie worker, and not in the Joey Janela variety. At least from this match I got that impression. Dante Martin also impressed too with his Mysterio offense to start. Not a squash like people here expected. RSP was pretty much in control before Dante turned it around. Very much worth a watch if you’ve become a Dante fan.

Edit: Who’s this Austin Green fellow? Not the greatest seller(Jobber Era Will Hobbs he is not), but he’s got really clean offense. Thumbs down on Skandor Akbar wannabe Diamond sheik, sadly.

Madi Wrenkowski should be the young inexperienced prospect with a contract. She already appears seasoned, good height, good look, and she has natural charisma to boot.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Just my personal opinion, but if they absolutely need to add a veteran that still has something in the tank and has top-level TV experience, and can help younger wrestlers improve their game significantly, the only name they should be thinking about should be Heidi Lovelace/Ruby Riott.

49 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Just my personal opinion, but if they absolutely need to add a veteran that still has something in the tank and has top-level TV experience, and can help younger wrestlers improve their game significantly, the only name they should be thinking about should be Heidi Lovelace/Ruby Riott.

Good shout, @Stefanie the Human.