DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

2 hours ago, Dog said:

Regarding Page and whether or not delaying his title win makes him look worse:

What if Omega puts Punk down, then loses to Page? So Page beats the guy who beat Punk?

I'd be fine with Omega losing to someone else, then Page beats that someone, but has impostor syndrome because he didn't beat Omega.

• Like 1

All viable ideas. But again I see this as Hogan vs Sting in a lot of ways. Hogan lost the title to Luger 4 months before the Sting match. Didn't hurt that buy rate at all. So Punk vs Darby on Rampage. Punk wins (in some disputed fashion). Punk beats Omega at All Out. Goes back to feuding with Darby. Omega wins rematch down the line due to Darby. Hangman gets to defeat Omega at Revolution. Perfect two year story arch when Hangman beats the guy he needs to beat, two years to the day the story really started. You get the major momentum of Punk being champion / capitalizing off of his popularity. But you still payoff what you've been working for. Win-win-win.

• Like 3

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I really do feel like this is a critical time in AEW history very early on for them. Whatever the next 3-6 months brings, this very well could be what brings them to the dance and puts them at the (hehe) head of the table in the wrestling world. I do think that the AEW fans who've been there since week 1 won't care if it's Punk vs. Omega at All Out as opposed to Hangman vs. Omega. Basically, I guess what I'm saying is an Omega/Punk match would bring in more eyeballs and wouldn't lose nearly any fan support - whereas a Hangman/Kenny match probably wouldn't bring in the exposure that a Punk world title match would.

My thing is, they just gonna have Punk jump the entire rankings? I get beating someone ranked in the T5 or even #1, but any of you who follow sports know when unranked Tennessee knocks off #1 Alabama, they don't move into the T5 instantly. I personally could give two shits less, but you know that'll be ammo for some of the snarky fans out there. All that to also assume he wrestles Darby on Rampage in Chicago.

• Like 2

Punk had a fast-track to a title match written into his fat contract providing he prove he could still deliver the goods, which a win over Darby would satisfy. Tony's a fanboy, of course he bent over backwards to give Punk everything he asked for. And Punk made him wait and beg for opportunity to do so.

Boom. Solved. Fuck ya top five. Wouldn't be Punk's first or even second time holding a wrestling promotion hostage. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

Glad to know this is the quality of posting I can expect over the next few months. Are people getting upset at their own fantasy booking?

You don't need Punk or Danielson challenging for any belts for awhile. They are going to draw just by virtue of being there. They can wait until the first night of honeymoon being over before mixing it up with the title scenes and the long-term storylines around them.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 10
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Glad to know this is the quality of posting I can expect over the next few months. Are people getting upset at their own fantasy booking?

You don't need Punk or Danielson challenging for any belts for awhile. They are going to draw just by virtue of being there. They can wait until the first night of honeymoon is over before mixing it up with the title scenes and the long-term storylines around them.

Who's getting upset?

They certainly took Page out of the title match for some reason. I guess we'll see who does get that All Out title shot opportunity.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

You don't need Punk or Danielson challenging for any belts for awhile. They are going to draw just by virtue of being there. They can wait until the first night of honeymoon is over before mixing it up with the title scenes and the long-term storylines around them.

It's equally possible to do either with Punk. But I'm just saying Punk coming in and winning the title in front of a rabid Chicago audience is a hell of a moment. Imagine what that crowd looks like. Imagine what the pictures and videos look like when people who have stopped watching WWE see that moment on social media and decide to check out AEW. You certainly don't HAVE to do it. But it's a cool as fuck visual and definitely a way they COULD go with it.

I'm not gonna be upset by either choice. I'm just happy AEW is growing and thriving. I am of the opinion that striking while the iron is hot as fuck is the better move here, instead of waiting for a moment down the line when the shock and heat of the moment has tapered off. And I have no possible explanation for why Hangman's match would get changed for any other reason. But if there is another reason and it's unrelated to Punk there's no anger coming from me.

• Like 2

You don’t need to hot shot the belt onto the incoming Punk. Kenny’s reign has been a TV draw for quite a bit now, and really started clicking after the 3-way. Stopping it now would be a mistake. Unless of course he can’t go anymore.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

I don't wanna see Punk with the title (would kind of be "admitting" that WWE guys can easily kick the crap out of AEW guys), but I agree this is no time to be conservative. All indicators show that AEW is rewarded for pushing things (look at the ratings on the Gage match), so yes, book big matches now, get people's attention while the buzz grows, and try to keep those eyeballs locked going forward.

Can't let Vince and sleep win this three-way war! ?

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Kenny’s reign has been a TV draw for quite a bit now, and really started clicking after the 3-way. Stopping it now would be a mistake.

We're all just sharing opinions and such. Omega has been great. I love what he's doing. AEW is doing 1.1 million viewers a week. That's great in today's TV landscape.

Food for thought, Raw was doing 4.5 million last time Punk was an active worker. That's neither an indictment against Omega nor an endorsement for Punk. Just a note to keep things in perspective when considering there is a lot of room to draw beyond 1.1 million if AEW keeps up the momentum.

• Like 1

That’s a different time and I don’t see Punk drawing those numbers today. If him and Bryan are such draws, then they don’t need the belts when they’re on TV, them showing up will just draw the fans. It narratively wouldn’t really work unless the idea is that Punk is some sort of super heel that is pushing the old heel out. 

The whole purpose of bringing those two in shouldn’t be to replace the stars they have. This is not 1990s WCW, or TNA that needed a reset so they just threw Hogan in and changed the program completely. This is a company on the rise and they are doing it without rebooting themselves. You get these kind of guys so you can draw in fans so they see your actual talent and say “hey these guys are different and I like them”. That’s how I see both Punk, and Bryan fitting in.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dog said:

I don't wanna see Punk with the title (would kind of be "admitting" that WWE guys can easily kick the crap out of AEW guys)

With regards to this, two of the three singles world champions in the company's history to this point have been Chris Jericho and Dean Ambrose. The Revival came right in and scooped up the tag belts. Luke Harper destroyed Cody Rhodes to win the TNT championship. If this sort of mindset hasn't really presented itself until now, either among fans or from people within the company, I don't suspect it'll be a big worry going forward. Most people who make the jump over, regardless of whether they're long-tenured WWE folks like Jericho or rose to prominence there like Rusev, seem to be immediately embraced as "all elite." If anything, a company with this much momentum should be unconcerned with inferiority complex type thinking about whether their guys look weaker than people who've had long WWE runs. They should make the best moves for their business at any particular time and not think so small.

Now whether or not that's Punk with the title, you're of course welcome to your opinion. But I feel Punk with the title would not represent the sort of thing you're suggesting it might.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3

Let’s say the ratings bump up to 2.0 when Bryan & Punk arrive, and it stays around there for two months. At that point you have to look at the quarterly numbers and see if the fans are sticking around for the Darby segments, the Hangman feud, the Jungle Boy matches, etc… This way you get the idea the fans aren’t just wanting to watch the past established talent, but also these new acts. From there you don’t have to chicken out. You can have a likable babyface in Hangman be triumphant over guys like Punk, and Danielson. 

At the end of the day it’s about establishing a legacy with your own stars. Do you need to help build that foundation with stars from different promotions? Sure, but it has to be those young stars that need to be the defining point of this first decade.

6 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

You haven't heard? They've got other competition they're more concerned with.

Hide contents

MV5BYmY3NGJlYTItYmQ4OS00ZTEwLWIzODItMjMz

I just found out that the daughters of a dude I work with played the creepy twins in this movie. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That’s a different time and I don’t see Punk drawing those numbers today. If him and Bryan are such draws, then they don’t need the belts when they’re on TV, them showing up will just draw the fans. It narratively wouldn’t really work unless the idea is that Punk is some sort of super heel that is pushing the old heel out. 

The whole purpose of bringing those two in shouldn’t be to replace the stars they have. This is not 1990s WCW, or TNA that needed a reset so they just threw Hogan in and changed the program completely. This is a company on the rise and they are doing it without rebooting themselves. You get these kind of guys so you can draw in fans so they see your actual talent and say “hey these guys are different and I like them”. That’s how I see both Punk, and Bryan fitting in.

A few points in response to this:

• "If him and Bryan are such draws, then they don’t need the belts when they’re on TV" is a line of thought that, if followed, ends up in a very silly place where anyone who's seen as a draw shouldn't be champion. I don't know who you think they should be belting. It's never going to be exclusively young folks who just need a rub. So far, it's been their perceived draws.
  • Nobody's being replaced. Unless Chris Jericho is leaving, in which case yes please replace him. These big gets should be seen as complimenting the existing roster rather than replacing.
  • When they tweet the "X is All Elite" picture, Bryan and Punk will be counted among their "actual talent." Surely that makes them as eligible for title contention as anyone. 

I could be wrong but I really don’t think they’re abandoning the Adam Page storyline just to hot shot CM Punk or Danielson into the title picture.

To me, it just seems a little too soon to be taking the title off Omega. Personally, I think he only recently hit his stride as Champion with the heel Elite/Belt Collector stuff. I think Khan/AEW could feel the same way.

We’ll see on Wednesday but I really think they’ll be continuing Hangman’s story arc towards the title.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I really hope Punk and Bryan are not the cause here for moving away from Page/Omega. If so, I call shenanigans.

I have a hard time thinking of potential other reasons.

14 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

A few points in response to this:

• "If him and Bryan are such draws, then they don’t need the belts when they’re on TV" is a line of thought that, if followed, ends up in a very silly place where anyone who's seen as a draw shouldn't be champion. I don't know who you think they should be belting. It's never going to be exclusively young folks who just need a rub. So far, it's been their perceived draws.
  • Nobody's being replaced. Unless Chris Jericho is leaving, in which case yes please replace him. These big gets should be seen as complimenting the existing roster rather than replacing.
  • When they tweet the "X is All Elite" picture, Bryan and Punk will be counted among their "actual talent." Surely that makes them as eligible for title contention as anyone. 

This. Once talent is signed to AEW, they are AEW. NOT ex-WWE talent in AEW. Fuck that noise...leave that way of thinking to Vince & co.

Plus, Punk left in 2014. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I will say the question becomes how long can Kenny hold onto the Impact World or AAA Mega Title as well. In our fantasy booking, we want an AEW talent to be the first guy to pin Omega - but if we keep the strap on Kenny for the foreseeable future, he's going to have to keep the Impact World Title hostage in the process.