DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

You guys know I love Bryan Danielson and Kenny Omega vs. Bryan Danielson is the biggest match available to AEW but I'd have done Kenny Omega dropping the AEW Championship to Adam Page at All Out with Page kicking out of the One Winged Angel. Feels like a wrong deviation of a path. I do see an argument for putting all the marbles on the line to make Omega/Danielson even bigger than it already is.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I agree. I've said it before and I will say it again, Hangmans time is now. The ONLY reason I could see them pumping the breaks is because his wife is pregnant and they know he's gonna take time off sooner rather than later.

However I argue that a short title run and being "taken out" for a few months is probably better than just straight up waiting. I also am willing to wait and see where it goes, but I'll be honest, I hate this move. The last 16 months have been for Hangman and now we pivot just because of Punk or Danielson? That seems to go against what Punk or Danielson would want (you'd think they wouldn't mind Hangman fulfilling his storyline), but maybe they do wanna wait til Revolution?

Someone said that's their Mania. I disagree, I think it's All Out but AEW does do a fantastic job of making all their PPVs feel BIG.

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think All Out should be their Mania too, but I want to say TK or someone else high up said they viewed Revolution as their Mania.

All In was the PPV that set up AEW coming into existence with All Out yeah? I can see the argument for All Out as AEW's WrestleMania. I'd go with Double or Nothing as it was AEW's first ever PPV.

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And I didn't think I would get tickets. Everything I clicked on that was supposedly available would come up showing that those tickets were gone. So then I'd try again and the same thing. I think I eventually just lucked out.

Yup.  Ticket sales are going well:

• Like 1

I have been a Bulls and Hawks fan my whole life, but I've always loved wrestling more than them so it's amusing that my first time in the United Center will be to see AEW.

Now watch this baby come early or on that day.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

All In was the PPV that set up AEW coming into existence with All Out yeah? I can see the argument for All Out as AEW's WrestleMania. I'd go with Double or Nothing as it was AEW's first ever PPV.

My logic as well being that All In set up AEW and All Out was just a play on that. However, they do a damn good job of making all the PPV's feel big. I will say Full Gear doesn't feel as big as the other three, but I think that's just because it takes place in the fall and I'm not a big fan of fall (boo winter, snow - yay football).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Speaking only for myself, I think it's a bit of mild PTSD from the absolutely baffling shit the competition has been doing with regard to things like this in the last two decades. It becomes hard to see the "subversion" trees in a forest of "SWERVE, BRO!" if that makes sense.

It makes sense, it's just a mindset I find it best to avoid. I don't think the best way to appreciate AEW is for people to view it through the prism of their decades-long baggage with other products. If something's perceived to be good, it's weirdly heightened a thousand times by people feeling so abused and deprived by other shows and "it's so different from X." If it's bad or deviates from expectations, people reflexively feel prepared for abuse because it's what they've known from other products. As always, it's best to take AEW on its own merits and not analyze it through comparisons to other companies' entrenched nonsense. 

Let Tony mess with your expectations and feelings without worrying he'll deprive and abuse you. If he's what people perceive him to be, surely he's earned that trust.

27 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I do feel like it was too inevitable. But I also feel like Kenny needs an actual threat to his title for all out, punk wrestling on the show or not. Nobody has felt like they had a legit shot because we were waiting for Hangman.

Yeah, but they just ran a PPV with Orange Cassidy in the title match and most people didn't get themselves in a twist over it. As much as we'd want it to feel like a title change is always possible, people aren't completely allergic to championship matches where the champ is the heavy favourite. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

Pleasantly surprise and happy to be wrong here. I underestimated AEW's demand. Doing 50k tickets over two weeks for 4 events in the same market is bonkers. Like that's some peak attitude era demand. Very happy for everyone involved. I think this coupled with the trending up ratings is a perfect storm for them. They are within shouting distance of at least equaling the competition. I'm very much enjoying what AEW is ding, and hopeful WWE will quit dicking around and start putting on better shows to compete.

As for Hangman not getting the All Out match... it's a disappointment. But AEW has earned enough good will for me to trust them to do the right thing, even if it takes a detour. I mean if we were all analyzing WCW during the nWo like we do now... how many times would we have been pissed at the story twists and turns for Sting? They held that off for so long. They even threw in a Lex Luger title run. But in the long run Sting vs Hogan drew the highest buy rate in company history. I trust AEW to change the story and still make it cohesive. So I will again say I think Punk is Omega's opponent at All Out. And Punk wins. But I still fully expect them to get the belt back to Omega in time to crown Hangman at Revolution. Some nice symmetry to that being him & Kenny vs The Bucks where they started teasing the turn.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I have been a Bulls and Hawks fan my whole life, but I've always loved wrestling more than them so it's amusing that my first time in the United Center will be to see AEW.

i grew up a Bulls fan (like everyone else my age), but my first trip to United Center was for UFC 225 a couple years back.

31 minutes ago, The Natural said:

to me, All Out is their WrestleMania, but i'm probably biased because i was at All In and i'm only a couple hours from Chicago. They really do set Revolution up as top-tier each year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i grew up a Bulls fan (like everyone else my age), but my first trip to United Center was for UFC 225 a couple years back.

to me, All Out is their WrestleMania, but i'm probably biased because i was at All In and i'm only a couple hours from Chicago. They really do set Revolution up as top-tier each year.

Cool you got to see All in.

I'd rank the AEW PPVs as 1. Double or Nothing, 2. All Out, 3. Revolution, 4. Full Gear. Full Gear is the King of the Ring of WWE's Big Five from 1993-2002.

Edited by The Natural

2 minutes ago, twiztor said:

They really do set Revolution up as top-tier each year.

It's a great name for a show (I'm surprised it wasn't already copywritten TBH) but the whole green logo/graphics package and woman doing the voiceover reminds me of late '90s WCW Worldwide. Which as noted in the classic sets thread, I LOVE, but I dunno... save that for Dark, not your WM analogue

• Like 1

Regarding Page and whether or not delaying his title win makes him look worse:

What if Omega puts Punk down, then loses to Page? So Page beats the guy who beat Punk?

5 minutes ago, Dog said:

Regarding Page and whether or not delaying his title win makes him look worse:

What if Omega puts Punk down, then loses to Page? So Page beats the guy who beat Punk?

At the same time, we could also get Hangman beating Kenny and then leading into a feud with Punk. Granted, Punk is probably gonna be a face - but the drunk cowboy vs the straight edge megastar writes itself too.

• Like 1

Put another way, "Punk couldn't end Omega's rein of terror, but Page did."

EDIT: As long as we're all fantasy booking -- Punk beats Darby on 8/20 to earn the All Out title shot on 9/4, which he loses. Page beats Omega a week or two later on Dynamite, and Bob's still your uncle.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dog said:

EDIT: As long as we're all fantasy booking -- Punk beats Darby on 8/20 to earn the All Out title shot on 9/4, which he loses. Page beats Omega at Grand Slam Dynamite, and Bob's still your uncle.

FTFY ?

I think the real hurdle to get over is what to do about maintaining current storylines AND making it ok that Punk does a job in Chicago.

I’ll spitball the idea of an early in the show promo battle with Punk, Darby, Sting.  Set up a number 1 contender match.  This way Chicago gets a Punk win and an after match pipe bomb where he promises to win the title as Dynamite or Rampage go off the air.  

Punk would have to lose to a top rope OWA or something following a visual pin to sell it.  But Chicago would’ve got their fill of the long awaited return.  

I don’t know.  These are big moves converging all at once.  It’s going to be tough to cram it all in and make it work.

Then yeah.  Put Adam Page over.

Afterward… pivot Punk over to Colt.  DO WANT!

Edited by Brandon Bones

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

EDIT: As long as we're all fantasy booking -- Punk beats Darby on 8/20 to earn the All Out title shot on 9/4, which he loses. Page beats Omega at Grand Slam Dynamite, and Bob's still your uncle.

I swear to shit if they do this then I don't know what I'm gonna do seeing this live.  I'll hate going solo but feel even in the nosebleeds it'll be a fucking crazy atmosphere.

Now watch them have to go back to Jacksonville soon because of dumbasses all around.  I'll understand why but I'll be so fucking pissed if this doesn't happen there.

• Like 2