DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

I bet they started with Spears to get people thinking it would be Jericho having to go through all the Pinnacle members only to throw the surprise of Nick Gage out there

• Like 5

Motherfucker, so this *wasn't* the plan. I'll be honest, that's pretty disappointing. Unless the thought process is: let's use the new signings to grow the show so more people see Hangman win, let's say at Winter is Coming or Revolution or something. But we'll never know unless it actually goes down that way, I guess.

This company has earned enough goodwill with me that I’m willing to play the “Let’s See How It Plays Out” card, but this immediately strikes me as a bad decision. At least in terms of their plans of making Hangman a top guy. Like, you can always come back to him later, but I don’t know if the timing/situation is ever going to be as perfectly set up as this. Everything was peaking for him at just the right time.

• Like 6

I agree. I've said it before and I will say it again, Hangmans time is now. The ONLY reason I could see them pumping the breaks is because his wife is pregnant and they know he's gonna take time off sooner rather than later.

However I argue that a short title run and being "taken out" for a few months is probably better than just straight up waiting. I also am willing to wait and see where it goes, but I'll be honest, I hate this move. The last 16 months have been for Hangman and now we pivot just because of Punk or Danielson? That seems to go against what Punk or Danielson would want (you'd think they wouldn't mind Hangman fulfilling his storyline), but maybe they do wanna wait til Revolution?

Someone said that's their Mania. I disagree, I think it's All Out but AEW does do a fantastic job of making all their PPVs feel BIG.

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

This company has earned enough goodwill with me that I’m willing to play the “Let’s See How It Plays Out” card, but this immediately strikes me as a bad decision. At least in terms of their plans of making Hangman a top guy. Like, you can always come back to him later, but I don’t know if the timing/situation is ever going to be as perfectly set up as this. Everything was peaking for him at just the right time.

I agree with you, but can understand if you have Punk and Danielson possibly on that show.  That would push Hangman's win down on the list of "cool things that happened at All Out" list.  I think Page will get the belt at some point, but it might be better after the dust settles a bit on these new signings.  That way, he really gets his moment without it being too overshadowed.

• Like 1

I mean, the Page story still makes perfect sense to me. Dark Order told him not to be afraid of failure and that they'd stick with him even if he failed. With hindsight, for that moment to actually mean something, Page should probably fail at some point.  Then he lost the 5-on-5 match, so he lost his title shot at All Out.

"As soon as Page believed in himself and tried, he won the title" is imo not of good a story as "Kenny was also actually a really good wrestler and it took Page more than one try to beat him".  Bonus points if there's some story element that shows us another change Page has to make in order to get the win.

If Dark Order turns on Page, that's bad. If Kenny drops the title to anyone other than Page, that's bad. I don't think either of those things will happen. Whoever Kenny defends the title against at All Out, I see that as kind of a placeholder title defense. It might not even main event the show.

If we go into another COVID lockdown and they put the story on ice again like they did last time, that's bad. That one is a real danger.

• Like 4

On 7/25/2021 at 7:07 PM, Brandon Bones said:

I gotta say.  I really enjoyed the match.  

I’m genuinely afraid of Gage getting AEW into some trouble this week.

I am so smart.  S M R T!

I’m 1 out of a million in guessing shit right.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm a bit out of step with the zeitgeist on Page, I guess, as I kind of felt All Out was too soon to put the belt on him anyway. Of course, I expected him to earn the title shot but come up short on his first attempt, only to finally win it some time next year. Him losing the elimination match was a downer to me, but as SKoS points out it works narratively.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I agree. I've said it before and I will say it again, Hangmans time is now. The ONLY reason I could see them pumping the breaks is because his wife is pregnant and they know he's gonna take time off sooner rather than later.

However I argue that a short title run and being "taken out" for a few months is probably better than just straight up waiting. I also am willing to wait and see where it goes, but I'll be honest, I hate this move. The last 16 months have been for Hangman and now we pivot just because of Punk or Danielson? That seems to go against what Punk or Danielson would want (you'd think they wouldn't mind Hangman fulfilling his storyline), but maybe they do wanna wait til Revolution?

Someone said that's their Mania. I disagree, I think it's All Out but AEW does do a fantastic job of making all their PPVs feel BIG.

I think All Out should be their Mania too, but I want to say TK or someone else high up said they viewed Revolution as their Mania.

And I didn't think I would get tickets. Everything I clicked on that was supposedly available would come up showing that those tickets were gone. So then I'd try again and the same thing. I think I eventually just lucked out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

And I didn't think I would get tickets. Everything I clicked on that was supposedly available would come up showing that those tickets were gone. So then I'd try again and the same thing. I think I eventually just lucked out.

Sometimes a little luck goes a long way. Enjoy being a part of what could go down as one of the most important shows in wrestling history with maybe one of the biggest pops in wrestling history! 

49 minutes ago, caley said:

Nice. As much as I want this to be over and feel they should have done the title change during their residence in Daily's Place rather than holding off, people had become too comfortable with what they think they know about where things are going. Good to see Tony finally showing an inclination toward messing with the audience's expectations. Maybe he's not completely hopeless. 

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Nice. As much as I want this to be over and feel they should have done the title change during their residence in Daily's Place rather than holding off, people had become too comfortable with what they think they know about where things are going. Good to see Tony finally showing an inclination toward messing with the audience's expectations. Maybe he's not completely hopeless. 

Speaking only for myself, I think it's a bit of mild PTSD from the absolutely baffling shit the competition has been doing with regard to things like this in the last two decades. It becomes hard to see the "subversion" trees in a forest of "SWERVE, BRO!" if that makes sense.

Here’s how I feel about concerns regarding Hangman’s title win being overshadowed by Punk/Bryan:

If he’s really what AEW thinks he is, if he’s really The Guy, if he’s got the stuff to be a top star on the level with those type of guys...then he’s NOT going to get overshadowed. If anything, you’re helping him cement his status as The Guy by putting him over in a big way right when there are (potentially) a lot of new eyeballs on your show.

Not trying to make a perfect 1-to-1 comparison here, but this feels like if WWE decided to kick the can down the road on Austin in the run-up to WM14. Again, not saying he’s Austin 97 or anything, but these crowd responses are fucking HOT, man. Timing is everything with paying off a push, and you can’t squander it. Tough to recapture the magic of thousands upon thousands of people collectively willing something to happen. 

Edited by EVA
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I do feel like it was too inevitable. But I also feel like Kenny needs an actual threat to his title for all out, punk wrestling on the show or not. Nobody has felt like they had a legit shot because we were waiting for Hangman.

I didn't think it would be quite this fast but  come on now at the idea of them needing to book him in a match. If we know one thing in wrestling it's Chicago's love for Punk.