DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

2 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Red Velvet's Final Slice is pretty nasty - possibly the best looking Overdriveplaymaker I ever saw. The step-up definitely helps.

I wish I was seeing what you’re seeing.  I like Velvet but that finish to me doesn’t look like it does anything to her opponent.  What is the effect supposed to be?

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I would like the same. I think shitty reffing is at the top of that list. I think I dislike Knox more than Red Shoes. At the very least, Knox sucks way more than Red Shoes. AEW's other ref that isn't Aubrey or Remsburg is also really bad.

Speaking of which......do Hebner and Chioda still work there?

2 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Speaking of which......do Hebner and Chioda still work there?

I think Chioda just started some wrestling promotion in Mexico or something and Hebner hasn't worked there in a long time.

EDIT: Chioda would have been a great addition to their ref roster. And someone else pointed this out, but wrestlers in AEW are consistently late for their cues to run in and it always makes those spots or angles look bad. I'd like to see some improvement there as well.

Edited by Craig H

53 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

I think people are overthinking the Final Slice tbh - I think a lot of moves don't look like much if you overthink them. As Taz pointed out, if nothing else it could wreck their shoulder.

Not overthinking, just simple plain thinking.  Is the idea if you shut your mind off that it looks awesome?  

I have no problem suspending my disbelief on a swinging neckbreaker.  Wrestler synches in a headlock and pulls the head to the side where it ought-not-go while taking the opponent to the mat.  All that said, outside of prime era Honky Tonk Wayne Ferris, it's not really a move that makes me think 'game ovah'.  This leg spin around Red Velvet finisher makes that horrible Matt Cardona leg bullshit seem legit.  Nah, they're both awful.  Or to each their own.  

Dante Martin has wings on his wrestling boots.  Either that or PAC loaned him his anti-gravity belt for the night.

I agree with Taz.  I was kinda annoyed that Pillman's plug did not include putting Dante over.

Edited by J.T.

16 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Random thought --

How long until "Happy to be here in AEW" doesn't matter as much as money?  Who will be the defector? 

It's not at all sure it will become relevant exactly when, but at what point do some of the earliest AEW contracts come up for renewal? While it would be a pretty bad career move at that point, I can see MJF being a contender for it. Brian Cage, pehaps? Even that Dentist Lady (as Lisa C. Yankem?), the way she's been improving since she was last seen on NXT!

I know Jericho’s original contract is up at the end of this year. He’s certainly put himself in a position to ask for more money on his next deal, and you know WWE will be lining up the trucks full of money to steal one of the competition’s biggest stars. That will be interesting to watch.

I know most of the original young talent were signed for 5 year deals, but there are some exceptions. I think Jungle Boy’s Hollywood agent (wisely) negotiated for less than that. So he might be coming due soon, as well.

40 minutes ago, EVA said:

I know Jericho’s original contract is up at the end of this year. He’s certainly put himself in a position to ask for more money on his next deal, and you know WWE will be lining up the trucks full of money to steal one of the competition’s biggest stars. That will be interesting to watch.

I know most of the original young talent were signed for 5 year deals, but there are some exceptions. I think Jungle Boy’s Hollywood agent (wisely) negotiated for less than that. So he might be coming due soon, as well.

Yeah, I did remember Jungle Boy, but holy shit would that be a dumb move at this point! I mean, I understand by the time he's Jungle Man, the move will be too late, but at this point he'd lose his awesome theme song, his dinosaur, they'd make him cut his hair and take away everything else that he's good at! They'd probably give him a public speaker gimmick, or something!

...No wait, maybe some Brian Austin Green-type gimmick, or worse yet, Ian Ziering gimmick and have him fight all those F'n sharks!

Edited by Shartnado
...Oh no!

21 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I wish I was seeing what you’re seeing.  I like Velvet but that finish to me doesn’t look like it does anything to her opponent.  What is the effect supposed to be?

It looks a lot more neckbreaker-y than the Overplayofthedriveday but I am still not fond of that finisher, and I don't particularly care for Abadon's leg DDT thingie either.  She may be a zombie, but she is also a hoss gal.  She needs to be killing girls with gorilla bombs and standing back sentons and shit.

Even the business exposing stomach claw she used in the indies would be better.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

You know Jericho is "going home" before retiring. I just don't think he'll do it yet, but should he leave at the end of the year that would be totally fine with me. He has absolutely served his purpose at this stage and anything else is gravy. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

There was that whole story about her having heat with Britt getting all the praise/push after their Lights Out Match.

Odd, I have heard the stories about both of them geeking out together after all of the positive reviews came in after the match.  They sound like they are as thick as thieves.

I have, however, noticed that she's seems to be working a bit stiff with some of the rookie and indie workers for a while now.  Her match with Julia Hart last night was a bit too snug for my liking and she's recently been rather shooty with workers like Megan Bayne and Myka Madrid in her matches on Dark and Dark Elevation.

Edited by J.T.