DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

Personally I've never understood people giving Punk shit for the UFC stuff. It's not like he didn't train, and if Dana White offers you a boatload of money for your first ever MMA match to be in the UFC... I mean, I don't think I'd turn that down either. Maybe it's because I'm a huge CM Punk mark, I don't know.

If this happens, I fully expect an eventual Omega/Punk feud to mention that Omega has more MMA wins in his short career than Punk does, though.

I also don't think they should deviate from the Hangman/Omega story. Hangman is white hot right now, and I don't think Omega versus Punk or Bryan needs the title. Would it suck for newly crowned champion Hangman Page to play second fiddle for a while? Yeah, but it's not like Chris Jericho & Cody didn't do the same thing while Moxley was feuding with Omega. Hangman can be the champion, feud with... whoever, and you still have Omega versus one of the two at the top of the card.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I would say there were more real psycho white trash dudes in the territory days compared to now. You just have more of an opportunity to see them today  because of the Internet.

I just read Don Fargo's book. Dude was the trope codifier for "psycho white trash" and I lost track of all the cringy shit he talked about, but if he showed up on Corny's door in prime fighting trim, he'd get booked through Smoky Mountain faster then you can say "Jack Robinson."

• Like 2

To be fair, apparently most of them are just pro wrestling matches that are billed as "shoot fights". There's a tweet from Meltzer back in 2019 where he says Omega told him he's never had an MMA match, just grappling exhibitions or whatever, but that most of Omega's MMA fights are just pro wrestling matches that are billed as "shoot fights". Severn/Omega is one such example.

But that doesn't matter in pro wrestling, especially with Omega being a heel right now, he can just lie and say he has a better record in MMA than Punk does.

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I think there should be more wrestlers recruited out of Rubix Cube competitions. It’s a game of human chess, Larry always told us.

Shouldn't they be recruiting from chess clubs, then?

You know, AEW now has two Pages, two Cages, and two.... Wheelers.

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

You left out the big punchline: It was because the guy failed a drug test.

Man, the CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy series in 2009 was great as was the Straight Edge Society the following year.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

To be fair, apparently most of them are just pro wrestling matches that are billed as "shoot fights". There's a tweet from Meltzer back in 2019 where he says Omega told him he's never had an MMA match, just grappling exhibitions or whatever, but that most of Omega's MMA fights are just pro wrestling matches that are billed as "shoot fights". Severn/Omega is one such example.

But that doesn't matter in pro wrestling, especially with Omega being a heel right now, he can just lie and say he has a better record in MMA than Punk does.

Technically, 0-0 is a better record than 0-1 (1 NC). You might have the same number of wins, but you have fewer losses.

So almost everyone in the world has a better MMA record than CM Punk, is what I'm saying.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

She's not missing any time, though.

Good, that is a relief to read about.  There were a few moments in that recent Nyla match where it looked like someone involved in that match was going to feel extra roughed up the next morning.  I honestly can’t recall an individual example…because there were just so damn many to pick from. 

That picture is from a women’s bare knuckle fight event.  That just makes Britt even more of a badass.

Perhaps she is scouting for the next Frau Stroman.  Mark Henry probably gave her a ride to the show.

Edited by Ryan Faulconer

51 minutes ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

As per F4WOnline…,

Dr.  Britt Baker, broke her wrist on Wednesday. 

Man, Dr Britt Baker has picked up injuries. Broken nose, leg and now wrist. Get well soon xxx.

Edited by The Natural

7 hours ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

That picture is from a women’s bare knuckle fight event.  That just makes Britt even more of a badass.

I keep getting adverts for that Bare Knuckle FC show on Fite. The main is/was Paige Van Zant vs Rachael Ostovich.

Spoiler

BKFC 19 live blog: Paige VanZant vs. Rachael Ostovich - MMA Fighting

Not often that the fighters are better looking than the Card girls, but there you go.

Kenny Omega on WOR:

I think a variation in content is important. The content we’re right now lacking in is our women’s division. I would love to see Rampage be more of a home to women’s wrestling. I want people to see, appreciate and enjoy some of the talent we have to offer and I hope that we can get out and show some of these matches that maybe aren’t seen by enough people. We’ve got a lot of great talent on Dark and people maybe don’t want to watch our YouTube channel and want to watch Dynamite or our TV product and I get that.

I think the extra hour of Rampage, I feel that rather than give them more Chris Jericho, more Kenny Omega, more MJF, I’d rather give them more of the extremely talented individuals that you maybe can’t see that week. Honestly for me, that’s just me speaking on my own personal feelings, I feel that we have a lot of very gifted female wrestlers that have been working really hard, fighting for a spot, maybe it’s time for them to get some more and I think that would count as a variation in content, more women’s wrestling.

Of course he's correct. They're at the point where if you're a woman who wants to be featured consistently on television (and you're not someone they'd have clear plans for ala Thunder Rosa), signing with AEW is not necessarily the clear choice for most. 

• Like 3

The key to making Rampage successful is a committed effort to making sure the same people aren't on both shows each week, including the top guys. That will naturally benefit the women more at present, but should also help some of the under-used low-card men too. Dynamite is still gonna be the flagship, so you still want everyone to get exposure there. If you turn Rampage into a B-show where the wrestlers and angles who have no chance of being on ppv go, it will flop.

• Like 5

It is indeed a balancing act, but they've had Moxley on Elevation in enhancement matches so I think they know what they're doing.

Tbh I'm not sure WWE is a much better place if you're not someone they have clear plans for. I mean....take Smackdown: Vega is a jobber, Liv Morgan had no follow up, Shotzi and Nox Ouch My Ballsed Corbin, Bianca Belair is spinning her wheels with Carmella...ok Vince has decided he likes Toni Storm....let's see lulz.

Point is, it's hardly any different in WWE really. Raw has a few more spots admittedly, and look it's nice that Nikki has the belt an' all but let's not pretend someone like Shayna has had some amazing run.

Has there ever been a 2nd prime time wrestling show(I’m talking shows with the same continuity) that has been on the same level as the main important prime time show? 

I feel ultimately them, and the network should go in with low expectations. Right now this show will be where Sunday Night Heat was at the start. A program taped alongside RAW, and kinda booked as a third hour. Where it branches off will be probably closer to Dark. I hope that isn’t the case. I hope we get a showcase for the women, and the six man belt for the men. Definitely if they do the trios belts, please make sure that these matches are planned out to give the crowd, and fans at home an exciting action packed match every week. These should feel like an opening cruiserweight six man on Nitro. The women should get more storylines. Abadon should get more character work from this. She really hasn’t done anything since Shida. I mean yes she was rough then, but it ended up being an effective short feud, and she should’ve got more for it.

34 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Has there ever been a 2nd prime time wrestling show(I’m talking shows with the same continuity) that has been on the same level as the main important prime time show? 

I guess the correct answer would be Smackdown.

10 minutes ago, Gorman said:

I guess the correct answer would be Smackdown.

Not before the continuity split with the brand extension. When it was show b it was always just a repeat of angles, and matches from RAW. If I missed an episode I’d rarely miss anything. Even when they ended the brand extension for a time, Smackdown was still seen at one point the lesser of two shows.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Not before the continuity split with the brand extension. When it was show b it was always just a repeat of angles, and matches from RAW. If I missed an episode I’d rarely miss anything.

It seemed equally important as RAW to me the first year or so but that was at my height of wrestling fandom so my view is probably skewed. I remember Austin blowing up DX Express and Triple H/Rikishi being big deals at the time. SmackDown was always redundant leading up to a big PPV in most cases though so I definitely see where you're coming from

• Like 1

True they did have moments there. Especially the Rikishi match you mention. Hardy fluke winning the belt from HHH was another. It was very experimental in that way. Though I wasn’t a fan of some of that stuff either. The DX Express, and Triple H fake snakebite are two things that come to mind.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I’m cross posting this from the podcast thread. More people will see it here and I probably should have posted here to begin with. Highly recommend listening to the whole thing. 

Kenny omega on wrestling observer radio was very interesting. Two hours and he’s quite intelligent and honest. Only caught three quarters. 

-Kenny says when looking on who to mold himself on to do American tv, instead of ric flair it was Mr. perfect. Of course mr perfect has incredible matches with Bret hart, but he also wrestled hulk Hogan and ultimate warrior and Texas tornado and they are all good matches, and he makes them all look good. And mr perfect had Bobby heenan, omega has don Callis. 

-He compared nakamura and callis as guys who have outside interests bigger than wrestling, so that gives them a different perspective when they come to wrestling. They don’t mimic stuff from the last like other wrestlers who are just all about wrestling. 

-Complaining about commercials. He was watching the show the other day and noticed all the commercials were like these wacky slapstick commercials with silly music, but the match is a street fight, and then the fans have to get zapped right back to that with that in their head. 

-He wants rampage to be more for women wrestlers, but that doesn’t mean it will be that way. Everyone (male and female) is fighting really hard for the limited spots. 

-In the beginning they would have scheduled meetings and hash things out. Now if someone has an idea, they discuss it with the people the idea is about, then they discuss it with Tony, then they continue discussing it as weeks for by. 

-Talking about long term storytelling. You see tv shows that get cancelled and then years later they come back. If you leave stories open ended you can always return to them. He has open stories with hangman, ibushi, styles, white, tanahashi. 

-Dave is saying all the matches can be done in the United States because the way the crowd is, when any of these guys come out a large amount will react like this is huge, and then that makes everyone who doesn’t know them feel like they are seeing something special, which makes the tv audience think it’s a big deal. 

-omega vs Okada 5 “already happened in their minds” and they would have made it like a cool final ending. It could happen in the future and as Dave says they’ve never done that match here and everyone wants to see it. 

-He held back so much in the jungle boy match so they can take the rematch to a completely different level.

-He’s at peace with winding down his career so he just wants to make his opponents look great. 

-Talking about how in new japan they see guys like goto and say he’s too old or ishii could just never be champion, and Kenny is like they’re awesome let’s just get behind them and give them big wins. Naito should’ve been way stronger champion. 

-For g1 they have unspoken rule, they don’t want to drop out of the tournament. They have to have amazing matches but they can’t get too injured. It’s just like the playoffs for a sport. 

I still haven’t listened to last half hour. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3