DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If he has a really great performance I would give him a contract.

Old school fans getting pissed off about him just shows how much the reactions are phony from people like Cornette. Like why would you hate the idea of booking this kind of dangerous white trash menace character, when that’s the kind of heel you’d book in the territory back in the day?

I guess it's because Gage really is that psycho white trash dude? 

I'm not really a fan of him or the GCW/CZW death match stuff at all, and I'm really burnt out on watching AEW. But he's a compelling enough person that I'll definitely check him this out. This is definitely the type of side-show stuff that you need from time to time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Loki said:

I guess it's because Gage really is that psycho white trash dude? 

I would say there were more real psycho white trash dudes in the territory days compared to now. You just have more of an opportunity to see them today  because of the Internet.

• Like 4

It's kind of surreal seeing people defend Gage when most wrestlers would get zero benefit of the doubt.  Lol, good punches can make up for a multitude of sins in some circles.  

Based on what little I know about Gage, I think he's probably a lowlife.  Fortunately, I don't know him in real life and don't expect that anyone I know will ever have any personal dealings with him, so it's not my problem (or place to judge him).  I'm not expecting the match to be particularly good - it's Nick Gage and 51-year-old dadbod+ Chris Jericho, after all - but it should be an interesting spectacle and the show is loaded, so I doubt this is the focal point.

Alvarez mentioned that, based on what he's heard, he thinks Punk and Danielson are both under contract.  He stressed he doesn't know if that's actually the case, but that's his belief.  If true, I'm going to be curious to see if I end up watching the show more frequently.  Big fan of both guys, but kinda lost interest in Danielson's WWE run after the Yes movement and Punk's been gone so long I don't know what to expect from him, if anything.  

Edited by Eoae

What probably confirms that Punk, and Danielson are under contract is the WWE going hard on house shows the next few months, and having Cena work them. It’s like they are ensuring that those buildings across the country get their product first before AEW decides to book them. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If he has a really great performance I would give him a contract.

Old school fans getting pissed off about him just shows how much the reactions are phony from people like Cornette. Like why would you hate the idea of booking this kind of dangerous white trash menace character, when that’s the kind of heel you’d book in the territory back in the day?

Jim Cornette booked Bruiser Bedlam, for fuck's sake.

19 minutes ago, Eoae said:

It's kind of surreal seeing people defend Gage when most wrestlers would get zero benefit of the doubt.  Lol, good punches can make up for a multitude of sins in some circles.  

Based on what little I know about Gage, I think he's probably a lowlife.

Maybe watch the Dark Side of the Ring episode, and possibly grow some empathy. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I've seen the Dark Side of the Ring episode on Gage.  Came out of it with a more negative impression of him.  My impression of him is based on a lot more than that, though.  Admittedly, I've never met him in person so my opinion is based on very limited knowledge and may be inaccurate.  DSotR made it seem like he's cleaned up his drug problem, at least.

I don't feel like anyone who actually knows me thinks i lack empathy, fwiw.  If anyone feels that way, they've never said anything about it, so far as I can remember.  

Regarding Punk and Colt, I wouldn't be surprised that even if they're not friends again that they can at least speak with each other and be professional. Also, it wouldn't shock me if at some point they reconnect because money is the great destroyer of relationships. I know I had an issue with a friend stiffing me on their share of rent and for a little bit I was like fuck that dude, but after a few years we were cool again and friends again. 

I like Punk as a performer, but he came off as a miserable prick in interviews and podcasts (near the end of his WWE run).  Hopefully, he's mellowed out over the past decade, but the dude that was feuding with Cabana and bitching about not getting the main event at WM seems like the sort of guy who would hold a grudge.  I wouldn't be too surprised if that guy gets Cabana fired as a condition for signing the contract.

Are there any recent podcasts or interviews with him out there?  I don't think I've heard from him since right after he left WWE.  Maybe a couple sound bites around the time of his MMA fights?

In this week's Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer gave some updates on AEW potentially signing two big free agents in Daniel Bryan and CM Punk:

While no one has been able to confirm either signing, Meltzer said Bryan (Bryan Danielson) and AEW have been talking for months as he is considering WWE, AEW and New Japan as his next destination. New Japan is still the big X-factor, according to Meltzer, and part of the reason WWE president Nick Khan was trying to get a working relationship going.

"My belief is that if it was not for the pandemic, Danielson would have already been wrestling in New Japan by now unless a deal was made with WWE or AEW where he promised them the first appearance and match back since the AEW or WWE money offers would be so much higher and thus it was a virtual lock he was ending up in one place or the other," he wrote.

Meltzer said a a WWE source tells him that internally, the belief is that Punk has signed with AEW.

"There are a number of things going on behind-the-scenes that would indicate that, but nobody in AEW has confirmed it, and of course, they won’t until the decision is made for them to go public with something of that magnitude," he wrote.

He added that WWE previously had no interest in bringing him back, but AEW's interest may have changed that.

He also noted that secondary ticket prices for All Out in Chicago have increased 18% since the rumors started with a "get in" price of $141.

I love Renee being at the end of that that clip of the two of them. Puts a cherry on top. 

Haven't thought about this yet but the Nick Gage thing is really old-school NWA shit, where you get your heel to bring in a big bad from out of the territory, like Harley Race brings in Dick Slater and Cowboy Bob to jump Flair. If they really did have, say, Suzuki as the main boss in this then it would be super cool. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

For a second I thought you were talking about Agassi and I got really excited. Like irrationally so. 

Dude, I can't imagine with Agassi would look like with hair again in 2021. That would be such a mindfuck.

6 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I love that we're nearly two years deep with this company and still no General Manager/Commissioner/etc.  Thank You AEW!  

Tony Khan is a (for the most part) off-screen commissioner of sorts. They constantly refer to him when a match is suddenly announced for the next week or whenever, and then there’s that one time Moxley stormed into his office backstage on Dynamite and demanded the Lights Out match against Omega in 2019. Tony Khan is the real Invisible Hand?

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

My half baked fantasy booked suggestion for selling out a stadium in the Nov/Dec timeframe:

Baker/Rosa II

Miro / Jingle Boy TNT Title

Danielson/Omega

Wight / Shaq (the let me up match between the dream match and main event and your mainstream pub deal, with heavy promo time on NBA on TNT during the heart of the NBA season)

Hangman / Allin world title (your two biggest home grown stars headline. Babyface vs babyface but who cares)

Whatever else with the Elite, Pinnacle, Cody is gravy. 

I don't know if you could get away with this part. Bryan/Kenny would easily be the biggest match on whatever show it's on. It's not like a Goldberg vs. Undertaker kind of legends match. You have one guy in his prime and another that's not so far past his prime that he can't go like he used to from time to time. It's also a fresh match that fans want actually want to see between guys who fans will still want to see at the top of cards for years to come. It's two guys who are on top of the world now, not two guys were on top of the world 20+ years ago.

Not that I necessarily disagree with the idea of Hangman/Darby headlining the biggest show for AEW to date, but I'd hold off on Bryan/Kenny if they go that route. You could do Bryan/Punk vs. The Bucks, get about the same buzz if it's either guy's first AEW match and not risk putting your young aces in a spot to be overshadowed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gorman said:

Anyone who wants to dunk on CM Punk for his UFC record should know that one of his losses got changed to a no-contest.

"So what? I had one off-night."

You left out the big punchline: It was because the guy failed a drug test.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Corny did have a great line about Bruiser though: "He's the nicest murderer you'll ever meet".

• Haha 1