DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

I'm glad there's alternatives to WWE in AEW and to a lesser extent NJPW because my interest in WWE is at an all time low. AEW is my favourite wrestling promotion since last year. It's so frustrating seeing the talent WWE has squandered having to row excrement creek uphill against the whims of a senile old man.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

Would love it so much if TK's live event announcement is a UK show. Maybe at Craven Cottage. I'd sell my grandmother for ringside tickets.

We never got a Jamie Carragher named jobber with a Spit the Dog. Missed opportunity needs amending.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I don’t think TK should officially announce it. Just let the rumors, and reports do the work, then reveal it with his entrance. 

Tony K should go full hype mode for this.  He can do as much press as he did for 2021’s Revolution, possibly more.  He can actually claim that AEW has signed TWO of the best wrestlers of the past twenty years.  Unlike with Christian Tony K would actually be UNDERselling it for once.  

Punk’s presence on a GOAT list is highly questionable at best.  He was a great talker and he had a really strong run in ROH (02-05) and WWE (06-14) and has since been canonized as the Pope of Wrestling Daydreams for the next seven or so years prior to his return in 2021.  

Danielson has no such debate.  While he wasn’t as dynamic with his speaking roles he more than made up for it in consistency, match quality, versatility and then he became a pretty good speaker as well in his own right.  I would even take broken down Danielson over the rested and presumed much healthier CM Punk today.  Punk might mean more in drawing and ratings but then this IS AEW here.  If a guy like Darby can be a ratings success maybe fans will treat Danielson similarly.  

The name change is going to be an easy target for the AEWtheists.  Cornette will make fun of nearly every name in AEW and how to improperly pronounce them for cheap thrills.  Just watch him turn Danielson becoming Danielson again into another reason that Tony K runs an outlaw mud show….brrrt, just typing that made me feel 3% more sleazy and 4% slimeball enhanced.  

I apologize for quoting Corny.  I can’t apologize for listening because the historical portions of his podcasts is almost unparalleled in online wrestling coverage.  I just shake my head in confusion and disgust whenever Cornette veers from his encyclopedic knowledge and falls into the category of unhinged paranoid delusions about current pro wrestling and probably anything else unrelated to wrestling.

• Like 2

I think that outside of the face of WWE guys (Reigns/Cena) or Brock, Daniel Bryan is easily the biggest signing AEW could possibly ever do.

It’s exciting when actual active top guys jump ship and not just the classic “misused midcarders”. I think he would be only the second case of this happening after Moxley, but Ambrose was never really seen to be in the same level Bryan was in WWE. 

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

I think the other problems that presents themselves by signing both Punk and Bryan is that with Punk, the expectations have been set way too high for too long now and I don't think anyone would be able to meet those expectations. At least with Bryan you know you're getting a guy who is loved and is automatically going to have a good match with anyone. Additionally, those are two more main event guys on a roster that I don't know can handle two more main event guys. I think it could handle one more guy, but not both.

My main concern for Bryan is that he's going to feel like the chains are off and he's going to do as much stupid shit as possible. Like, we think Kota Ibushi is wrestling's Johnny Knoxville, but Bryan's mindset is right up there too.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think the other problems that presents themselves by signing both Punk and Bryan is that with Punk, the expectations have been set way too high for too long now and I don't think anyone would be able to meet those expectations. At least with Bryan you know you're getting a guy who is loved and is automatically going to have a good match with anyone. Additionally, those are two more main event guys on a roster that I don't know can handle two more main event guys. I think it could handle one more guy, but not both.

My main concern for Bryan is that he's going to feel like the chains are off and he's going to do as much stupid shit as possible. Like, we think Kota Ibushi is wrestling's Johnny Knoxville, but Bryan's mindset is right up there too.

As you know, I LOVE Bryan Danielson but I cringed when he took Half Nelson Suplexes from the late, great Luke Harper when Danielson returned in January 2015, was benched in April 2015 and didn't wrestle again till WrestleMania XXXIV three years later. Hate how Bryan still does the top rope diving headbutt occasionally as well.

Edited by The Natural

Seeing AEW doing almost a 20k advance for what is still a blind card in NYC, I’m really curious what a potential card with Bryan/Omega on top, in a destination location and with enough advance notice for the international traveling audience, would pull. Could they sell out a football stadium in Chicago, NY or Vegas? Maybe not that many. Or baseball - Citi Field holds 45k and that feels achievable.

The biggest non WWE crowd in the past 30 years is what, the Goldberg Georgia Dome show? That drew 40k? I think they can top that.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Seeing AEW doing almost a 20k advance for what is still a blind card in NYC, I’m really curious what a potential card with Bryan/Omega on top, in a destination location and with enough advance notice for the international traveling audience, would pull. Could they sell out a football stadium in Chicago, NY or Vegas? Maybe not that many. Or baseball - Citi Field holds 45k and that feels achievable.

The biggest non WWE crowd in the past 30 years is what, the Goldberg Georgia Dome show? That drew 40k? I think they can top that.

Unfortunately they did a second 40,000+ fans at the Georgia Dome.  I say unfortunately because the second dome show was 1/4/99.  

Main event saw the WCW World Heavyweight Title change hands.  The finish was a little something dubbed “The Finger Poke of Doom” by a few online. The entire show was garbage with no card announced before and 40,000+ fans in attendance.  All those LOYAL WCW fans in their home venue were treated to an afterthought of a card and a show long angle that set up the sham of an angle in the main event.  It was almost as if Bischoff and Pals were passive aggressively trying to take the company down intentionally.  

Edited by Ryan Faulconer
S. P. A. C. I. N. G.
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

What's so tremendous is that it sounds like WWE's push to get a deal with NJPW was their last ditch effort to keep Danielson.  I hope WWE's past treatment of other promotions they've "partnered" with over the past 30 years factored into NJPW's decision.  That would be some excellent "chickens coming home to roost" shit.  Bring in an amazing dealmaker in Nick Kahn in an effort to go legit, only to get tripped up by your carny trash past.  Delicious.

How poorly has WWE treated past partners? Is it any worse than how NJPW has?

Edited by Eivion

Well, that is great news and just what I was hoping for. Rosa absolutely needs to beat Britt for the title, but I think they're going to give Britt an extended run here because of how white hot she is at the moment. Rosa is the ace of the division though in terms of work and she's a very good promo too. AEW is really starting to put it together with their roster now. Still would love to see two more very talented women on the roster but Thunder Rosa was priority one for the division.