DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

18 minutes ago, AxB said:

Malachai Black stole Anthony Ogogo's gimmick. Cody will spend the whole year fueding with one-eyed Europeans. PCO is coming in, and he'll be pretending to be French-French, not French-Canadian.

“I remember that man. I’ve wrestled him before...PCO. But he’s looking different. That twinkle in his eye and the baguette in his hand. Wait...that’s not PCO. It’s FRENCH-CO!!!”

• Haha 5

Watching the Ethan Page Vlog where he's talking about the Coffin match... I enjoy the Sammy/BTE vlog style more. 

Also, watching the TV, I didn't realise the Coffin had Black Roses in it. I was wondering why it was full of celery.

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Yeah, he's still an agent over there.

Really? I thought he got stabbed and then left WWE shortly after. Fuck, this happened years ago didn't it and to me it feels like it was only a year...

Super pumped that the current rumors have Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson likely headed to AEW. Not quite as excited about the CM Punk rumors at this point. Think that Bryan is a better short term and medium/long-term addition for both the buzz he would bring and what he would add to the company. Punk feels more like a WCW adding a well past his prime Roddy Piper.

Edited by Big Z
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

Literally a tick under 16,000 tickets sold as of yesterday. What a show this is gonna be.

I saw something that they were going to open it up to the full 22,000 capacity. Either way this looks like it will be a special show for the ages.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Really? I thought he got stabbed and then left WWE shortly after. Fuck, this happened years ago didn't it and to me it feels like it was only a year...

Yep, he recovered and is still working there.  I think I saw him not too long ago when they had one of those pull-apart segments on Smackdown.  He's a tough bastard that's for sure.

Signing these two only means one thing..,,LOTSA LOTSA LOTSA 60 Minute Matches in AEW.  Hopefully both will keep that fetish hidden.  

It couldn’t have been all because of Gabe Sapolsky’s overworked lack of creativity.  Punk’s trend towards long matches started years before he ever got into ROH.  Danielson might have more creative ideas but that Aries match was supposed to go at least two falls of 60 minute draws.  Danielson and Aries had a super-hyped 2/3 Falls match in August 2004.  Everyone anticipated it going long when the match was announced.  Thankfully the match capped off as “good” while ONLY going between 75-85 minutes, IMSMR.

It is entirely likely that they haven’t even had sixty minute dreams as years pass and both pass the age forty milestone.  

It might be even more likely that those two would see it as a great challenge for their 40ish bodies to overcome.  The early 2000s had almost deified those who would dare follow the ring steps of Jack Brisco, Harley Race, two dudes named Funk, Flair…A lot of the times the “modern classics” that went the limit were ***1/4 matches that took an hour or more to view. For those agnostic to the star ratings scale I’d guess that ***1/4 can be either 63% or a C-.  Basically a match like that could be “alright in parts, maybe a bit boring due to time given. A match half as long might be a very good match but sixty+ is..,,” and so on.

While times have changed I am hoping that tendency to go too long was curtailed as part of WWE training.  Just keep that possibility in mind should Punk and/or Danielson sign.  Those 60+ matches were nearly a staple in early 2000s Indy circles…with Punk and Danielson serving as the stapler…or something.

Just adding some more love for The Acclaimed. I think both dudes are awesome in completely different ways but as stated before it's the perfect combo of steak and sizzle. I mainly watch AEW through Dark and Elevation along with Dynamite clips on YouTube, so I see them pretty much every week. Bowens is great as the muscle and Caster is such a weirdo. They both have tons of charisma. It seems like Caster's goal every time they're on TV is to get Bowens to crack up at his shenanigans.

I was never big on Punk but that would be huge for AEW. I would be way more hyped for Bryan, though I see no reason not to bring in both. They are the biggest names from the past decade outside of Cena or Batista, and I can see a lot of people give AEW a look again and sticking around. 

I don’t know which theme would make me mark out more, Cult of Personality or The Final Countdown. It’s almost like 10 years ago when Punk dropped the pipebomb promo and we all thought things would change. The big difference is now is there no Vince pulling the strings and sky’s the limit.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, olythegreat89 said:

I don’t know which theme would make me mark out more, Cult of Personality or The Final Countdown. It’s almost like 10 years ago when Punk dropped the pipebomb promo and we all thought things would change. The big difference is now is there no Vince pulling the strings and sky’s the limit.

If they're going licensed, the Markout Powers That Be would push for Miseria Cantare (you can't beat that clap-along). It would never work on TV, but a boy can dream. Big match music! PPV music!

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5

Obviously the way to do it is to have Cult of Personality play and then to have Bryan come out instead. I can make a flow chart.

It works better the other way around but you maniacs want heel Danielson.

Edited by Matt D

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Who cares about Punk & Bryan, what about Nick Gage?

Just putting this into the universe: they should rip off the Matsunaga in ZeroOne angle with Gage.

• Like 5