DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

2 minutes ago, twiztor said:

wait, why can't they do Sears Centre/NOW Arena again?

Not sure really, just assuming since they did somewhere else in Chicago pre-pandemic.  Probably to sell more tickets and make more money.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

Oh, you're talking about Revolution being held in Wintrust Arena. That was done because Revolution was held on C2E2 weekend in Chicago and the Wintrust Arena is closer to McCormick Place, where C2E2 is held, than the Now Arena, which is in Hoffman Estates.

I can't view the video at work, but Darby and Eddie and Hangman are three guys that all have a legit special aura to them that I haven't seen in, shit, since maybe Cena or Punk? Darby doesn't speak that much and is skinny as a rail, Eddie is in that Austin/Rock/Cena/Punk tier of promos and has the body that most regular fans have, and Hangman is the most in the middle of those three but he feels like the most honest wrestler out there. None of it makes sense, but all three guys stand out so much.

It makes me wish we could turn back the clock on Eddie and give him an extra 10 years of a career because that is a dude that every major company should be tripping over themselves to sign. And as for Darby, we can't turn back the clock, we just have to hope the guy even has 5 years left in him, let alone 10.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And as for Darby, we can't turn back the clock, we just have to hope the guy even has 5 years left in him, let alone 10.

I've seen this come up a couple times now since the match Wednesday. I'm sort of torn on the way I think about it because obviously hey, safety and longevity first, but the flip side is with no house shows hopefully that style doesn't take as much of a toll as it did in the past. Maybe a Mick Foley or a Jeff Hardy or a Sabu doesn't deal with the chronic pain, or sneaks a couple extra years in, if theyre just doing the one TV a week instead of the insane old schedule. Just food for thought anyway (and possibly also just some standard wishful/hopeful thinking)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I've seen this come up a couple times now since the match Wednesday. I'm sort of torn on the way I think about it because obviously hey, safety and longevity first, but the flip side is with no house shows hopefully that style doesn't take as much of a toll as it did in the past. Maybe a Mick Foley or a Jeff Hardy or a Sabu doesn't deal with the chronic pain, or sneaks a couple extra years in, if theyre just doing the one TV a week instead of the insane old schedule. Just food for thought anyway (and possibly also just some standard wishful/hopeful thinking)

That's a great point. AEW probably pays him well enough that he doesn't need to take weekend bookings too. 

• Like 1

I'd be more concerned with what Darby does OUTSIDE of the ring. That guy is like the 2021 version of Johnny Knoxville - so maybe that's why I gravitate towards his act so much. Most of us grew up in the Jackass era and from his social media, that seems to be the type of a guy he is. 

Eddie Kingston is a guy that I'll be honest, I knew his name but had never seen him work really let alone cut a promo before AEW. Now, he's in my top 3 favorite acts in wrestling right now. Yeah he's 39 and yeah it would've been nice if he had those 10 years, but think about his story. This is a guy who wasn't even in AEW a little over a year ago. It was a pandemic Cody Rhodes open challenge that brought Eddie Kingston to AEW and that one performance alone gave him what he has now. I mean, the guy was in a PPV main event for the title not too long after that. I'm just happy AEW came into existence so people like Eddie Kingston could get the shot that they so clearly deserved.

• Like 6

For singles matched Kingston's high water marks are still the Quackenbush match & whatever your preferred Chris Hero headbutt gorefest is (although I need to watch that one Tim Thatcher match). I don't known if Kingston is capable of or should be having matches like that, respectively, but I think the Mox tag team has legs and I think "technical brawlers who can promo" are TK's preferred main eventers.

7 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I think King is a god-tier promo but I have never been able to get into any of his matches.

You should see when the Wild Cards and Hallowicked teamed up against Quack, Akuma, and Icarus in Chikara and made the little kid cry. The entire match makes sense of Kingston as this guy who shouldn't really be in wrestling but has no other place to be da' god in. And you will walk away seeing him as the god if you see what he does in the match's aftermath.

the Thatcher match was disappointing. 

Edited by Horatio

Okay, here's a negative I hope we can all agree on: not everyone needs to do a split in their match, and no one should do it more than once.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
12 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I think King is a god-tier promo but I have never been able to get into any of his matches.

v Hero 9/29/07 is my go-to Kingston match but much like Dusty, the Rock or Mike Hayes his promos are so good that his output in the ring is secondary to me so I'm fine with thinking many of his matches are just alright.

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

I think they're about to pay off the fact that Cutler was a Dark Order creeper back in 2019 for a few shows. If I'm remembering right, didn't he (and Hangman) apply to join the Dark Order when it was just starting out? On Ethan Page's vlog, Alex Reynolds let it slip that the Dark Order is filming a "movie", so this is probably that.

Judging how loud of a chant Fuego got in his match with Luchasaurus, is it safe to say that in 2021, Sammy Guevara is better at getting babyfaces over than Vince McMahon is?

• Like 1

Are there any specific Dark (or Elevation) Jungle Boy matches I should try and find on Youtube? I doubt his top matches from Dynamite or PPV's have found their way there for long enough for me to actually see them.

• Like 1

I think Fuego deserves the most credit for getting himself over. He’s been in quite a few vlogs other than Sammy’s. And he’s been all over AEW’s programming during the pandemic being a really great hand. It also helps that a lot of guys are pushing for him to be signed through social media. But Fuego busting his ass on camera feels like the main source. Maybe a little TK too.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs