DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

Re: Andrade v Meltzer
Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, Meltzer reports on Charlotte Flair having a plastic surgery 'makeover'.  Charlotte gets sensitive on twitter to this report.  Andrade tags in and calls out Dave.  Andrade then goes to AEW and has a slow start.  This leads to Dave relishing every opportunity to talk petty shit about him like he's a big failure.  The in-ring debut wasn't exactly strong, but the idea that it was bad or that Andrade wasn't making a strong enough effort is a bit of an overstatement.  Dave also suggests, on today's post Dynamite show, that the potential matches versus the Death Triangle may not be good as he questions Andrade's effort and his over reliance on his 'good looks'.  I'm amused to hear Dave act so petty.  And interested to see how this one plays out.  As a viewer new to Andrade's act, I'm digging pretty much everything since after the dull initial debut.  I love this character and am plenty patient to see where things go.  Also, super stoked for his bouts with Fenix, Penta and Pac.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Re: Andrade v Meltzer
Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, Meltzer reports on Charlotte Flair having a plastic surgery 'makeover'.  Charlotte gets sensitive on twitter to this report.  Andrade tags in and calls out Dave.  Andrade then goes to AEW and has a slow start.  This leads to Dave relishing every opportunity to talk petty shit about him like he's a big failure.  The in-ring debut wasn't exactly strong, but the idea that it was bad or that Andrade wasn't making a strong enough effort is a bit of an overstatement.  Dave also suggests, on today's post Dynamite show, that the potential matches versus the Death Triangle may not be good as he questions Andrade's effort and his over reliance on his 'good looks'.  I'm amused to hear Dave act so petty.  And interested to see how this one plays out.  As a viewer new to Andrade's act, I'm digging pretty much everything since after the dull initial debut.  I love this character and am plenty patient to see where things go.  Also, super stoked for his bouts with Fenix, Penta and Pac.  

For fucks sake. He wasn't being petty. Last week he basically said Andrade looked off. This week he said that Andrade didn't look good last week. BOTH OF THOSE ARE TRUE STATEMENTS. This has nothing to do with Charlotte or being petty or whatever.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

tenor.gif?itemid=8570266

She might just be talking about those two having sex…I mean that imminently and so does Miro by the that look on his face.  Or is that John Silver sitting in the upper right corner in the picture?  Whoever it is I could have sworn that bald bulldozer of manliness was sitting “wearing” just a magazine on his lap and possibly nothing else.  

Maybe they just rented another tank for a blast from the past.

Ugh.  Every double entendres was unintended.  The subject being what it is I can now see more.  All unintended, I swear.

7 hours ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

She might just be talking about those two having sex…I mean that imminently and so does Miro by the that look on his face.  Or is that John Silver sitting in the upper right corner in the picture?  Whoever it is I could have sworn that bald bulldozer of manliness was sitting “wearing” just a magazine on his lap and possibly nothing else.  

Maybe they just rented another tank for a blast from the past.

Ugh.  Every double entendres was unintended.  The subject being what it is I can now see more.  All unintended, I swear.

I think she was referring to when they actually did have some fun in the tank before the entrance.  It's one of those stories they tell that when you see them together I can't help but believe them.

And larger John Silver was not something I pictured until now.  Good call on that one.

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

For fucks sake. He wasn't being petty. Last week he basically said Andrade looked off. This week he said that Andrade didn't look good last week. BOTH OF THOSE ARE TRUE STATEMENTS. This has nothing to do with Charlotte or being petty or whatever.

Well, okay then.  There's the official word.  

14 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Oh lord, is Dave doing to him what he did to Dusty, and Dustin?

To be clear I'm not a Dave hater, but I'd be amused to hear more about Dave's petty feuds.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

They still have four upper sections on the hard cam side to open, but other than that Arthur Ashe stadium is pretty much sold out. Now we’ll see if they use a smaller stage and open up the seats above the stage to get to 19k. 

Edit: they opened two obstructed view 100 sections. 

Edit: 4 obstructed view 100 sections. First two are almost gone. 

Edit: last 4 upper level sections are up. This will be sold out in 15 minutes. 

Edit: looks like sales have slowed down. There’s a couple thousand of the worst upper level seats left but it’s already gonna look awesome. 

Edit: they just opened two 100 level sections behind the stage so looks like they’re going for 19k. Those tickets are moving. Only $25. 

Edited by matt925
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, matt925 said:

They still have four upper sections on the hard cam side to open, but other than that Arthur Ashe stadium is pretty much sold out. Now we’ll see if they use a smaller stage and open up the seats above the stage to get to 19k. 

Wow, so they’ll have to do this next year as a PPV show. Probably bump “Chicago” as the All Out venue. 

13 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Wow, so they’ll have to do this next year as a PPV show. Probably bump “Chicago” as the All Out venue. 

Do they though?

PPV's will be destination events no matter what. Throw All Out in any arena and it'll more than likely sell out. Throw Dynamites in unique venues like this and you have ANOTHER must see event.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Do they though?

PPV's will be destination events no matter what. Throw All Out in any arena and it'll more than likely sell out. Throw Dynamites in unique venues like this and you have ANOTHER must see event.

Hmmmmm… But you can get more people flying for a big weekend show, as opposed to another TV episode. Though if you think about it, the plan is to do Clash style shows for TNT next year. So there is a chance to continue this setup of events they currently have.

I think it would be a mistake to start doing their PPVs or PPV-esque shows on TV in big arenas. Part of the charm of a lot of WCW PPVs was that they were held in the same cities each year and when that stopped it started making those PPVs not as special. It's better to stick with the arenas they've built a following in because they're sure to sell out and it creates scarcity so when people miss out on tickets for that event, they'll want to jump at the next opportunity when tickets are availble.

Or not. Who knows. 

• Like 2

The fate of the great Arthur Ashe bums me the F out. In my previous life, I did a short paper on his life and getting HIV on a goddamned transfusion is so terrible I hardly have words. Maybe his fate saved a bunch of lives in the future, when people realized that was the absolute least fun way to get AIDS and every blood donation started to get tested. Still, an absolute tragedy, either way!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

AEW news:

Dave Meltzer had a few AEW notes in this week's Wrestling Observer Newsletter including Rey Fenix, a return to Indianapolis and last Wednesday's Chris Jericho/MJF segment.

• Rey Fenix is ready to return after dealing with a groin injury that has seen him out of action since April. The high flyer was last seen in action defeating Chuck Taylor on the April 21st Dark: Elevation. After a short singles run, Penta El Zero Miedo started teaming with Eddie Kingston and the two recently failed to wrest the Tag Team titles away from the Young Bucks.
  • AEW will return to the Indiana Farmers Coliseum in Indianapolis for the November 10th Dynamite -- the follow-up to Full Gear in St. Louis, Missouri. This marks AEW's return to the venue for the first time since November 2019. Tickets are not yet on sale, but it's listed on the venue's website.
  • The Chris Jericho/MJF/Shawn Spears segment from last week's Dynamite was pre-taped as Jericho's band Fozzy were holding a sold-out concert in Iowa City, Iowa. This was their first full show since the pandemic even though they did perform at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally last summer.
  • Like 1

Something to consider: The real price of the $25 tixs is $42 with TicketScammer fees and if you really want to go this show the get in on secondary sites will likely end up being less than that between now and the show. 

What I say may feel like a stretch, but that Arthur Ashe show may be one of the hottest TV wrestling shows ever. 4x the capacity of this past weeks show - and if the rabid AEW fans come out in NYC, in THAT venue? Mannnn, imagine the heat on an MJF from 16k fans or PnP winning the straps or Eddie Kingston knocking off Miro.

GIVE IT ALL TO ME.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I highly doubt that will happen.  They can't/won't do Sears Centre again but the EVPs and TK all said All Out will always be in Chicago due to All In unofficially starting this whole thing.  Which I think is great.  Now if only they would have stuck to their word on Baltimore being the yearly place for Full Gear.  You promised, TK, what the hell man?!  (Yes, I'm kidding.  Well, mostly kidding but you get the idea)

2 hours ago, matt925 said:

Edit: looks like sales have slowed down. There’s a couple thousand of the worst upper level seats left but it’s already gonna look awesome. 

Edit: they just opened two 100 level sections behind the stage so looks like they’re going for 19k. Those tickets are moving. Only $25. 

I picked up section 331 for $40 which ended up being $62 altogether including surcharges.  It's funny they claim obstructed view as I would think the only issue would be seeing them up close.  Either way I just know that even if I'm by myself I'm going to be part of something truly special.  My plan if I can swing it is to make it a day trip and see what the area has to offer.  But to say I'm excited about this is a gross understatement.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I highly doubt that will happen.  They can't/won't do Sears Centre again but the EVPs and TK all said All Out will always be in Chicago due to All In unofficially starting this whole thing.  Which I think is great.  Now if only they would have stuck to their word on Baltimore being the yearly place for Full Gear.  You promised, TK, what the hell man?!  (Yes, I'm kidding.  Well, mostly kidding but you get the idea)

I picked up section 331 for $40 which ended up being $62 altogether including surcharges.  It's funny they claim obstructed view as I would think the only issue would be seeing them up close.  Either way I just know that even if I'm by myself I'm going to be part of something truly special.  My plan if I can swing it is to make it a day trip and see what the area has to offer.  But to say I'm excited about this is a gross understatement.

Is obstructed view in this case not being able to see the video screen? 

From what I saw on the seating chart it's practically in the middle going the long way.  So if I can't see the video screen from there then I would blame that on their set more than anything else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

They can't/won't do Sears Centre again but the EVPs and TK all said All Out will always be in Chicago due to All In unofficially starting this whole thing.  Which I think is great. 

wait, why can't they do Sears Centre/NOW Arena again?