DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

16 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I appreciate where you're coming from, but as I've pointed out - they're already doing it in a number of ways.  I don't think anything I've outlined would cause any sort of uproar with a reasonable contracted employee.  And to be clear I'm talking week to week and mainly about Dark/Elevation.  Not Dynamite and certainly not Closed Circuit Television, er Pay Per View.

Again not trying to fight your opinion here. Just trying to relay that yes it would be a problem and yes it would cause an uproar. I've been on tiny events in horse barns where I've seen guys complain about stuff like this. Hell one of the shit heads I broke into the business with once said "My people pay to hear my music so I'm not going out until my song has been playing for at least a minute". This was a dude I knew since high school who I was wrestling in a street fight for that night. But he waited over a minute to come out. Everyone in this business is a mark for themselves. And the second you treat them as less than a star it's going to rock the boat for some people.

The Janela thing was just an example. But I'll keep rolling with that. He gets what, one Dynamite match every six months? So you're advocating for 95% of all his entrances be cut (since he mainly works Dark & Elevation only). So the dude gets one entrance every six months or so? How does that not relay to the guy that no one cares about him? How does that help him feel like a valued member of the team? Part of the job of a good promoter is to make all of your talent feel valued. Not everyone is gonna be put in a meaningful spot. But you can still treat them as an important part of the team. Cutting entrances is not how you demonstrate that.

You save 8 minutes on an internet TV show that only 25% of your audience even watches but potentially alienate your talent confidence in the process... it's just not worth it.

• Like 2

Nick Nemeth drinking heavy cream is what we’re reduced to without the Dark Order on BTE.

Nick saying “oops” (and the episode immediately ends) when Matt Jackson says Dynamite viewership dropped 7% from the previous week is hilarious.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Again not trying to fight your opinion here. Just trying to relay that yes it would be a problem and yes it would cause an uproar. I've been on tiny events in horse barns where I've seen guys complain about stuff like this. Hell one of the shit heads I broke into the business with once said "My people pay to hear my music so I'm not going out until my song has been playing for at least a minute". This was a dude I knew since high school who I was wrestling in a street fight for that night. But he waited over a minute to come out. Everyone in this business is a mark for themselves. And the second you treat them as less than a star it's going to rock the boat for some people.

The Janela thing was just an example. But I'll keep rolling with that. He gets what, one Dynamite match every six months? So you're advocating for 95% of all his entrances be cut (since he mainly works Dark & Elevation only). So the dude gets one entrance every six months or so? How does that not relay to the guy that no one cares about him? How does that help him feel like a valued member of the team? Part of the job of a good promoter is to make all of your talent feel valued. Not everyone is gonna be put in a meaningful spot. But you can still treat them as an important part of the team. Cutting entrances is not how you demonstrate that.

You save 8 minutes on an internet TV show that only 25% of your audience even watches but potentially alienate your talent confidence in the process... it's just not worth it.

That makes sense, but the variables are completely different.  I’m talking about formatting for television or in this case YouTube.  I’ve also given you a number of examples of how they are already doing this on Dynamite.  Huge difference between an indie guy working one shot or event wanting to get all his stuff in and a contracted employee working for a television promotion.  In some cases I was even suggesting a split screen or inset promo by the same guy entering or his rival (which would further tell the story they’re involved in).  You really think said wrestler is going to cause heat over this, and remain a valued employee? You’re responding to the idea of cutting all entrances, and that’s not what I’m saying or was ever saying.  I’m talking about tv formatting and making better editing choices.  Again, nothing I’ve suggested is breaking from what they already do.  

22 hours ago, Eoae said:

I feel like I'm probably in the minority but I found a lot of the commentary on PWG to be annoying.  I never found Excalibur and Chuck Taylor and the crew to be consistently funny.  They did have their moments, but mostly it was like an obnoxious episode of MST3K for me.  Though, to be fair, I don't watch comedies that much and generally don't find things like MST particularly funny, so it may well just be my peeve and ymmv.

The PWG commentary did have occasional gold, but, yeah, not enough.

boothisman.gif

?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

BTE this week was...weird...

On the other hand, Sammy's Vlog is good more than 50% of the time and last week was pretty good. So, if this is the direction of BTE for now, then fine, but they have got to get this shit with Nyla, Ryzin, and Vickie off of there at some point. And the weird Nick Nemeth shit. 

I haven't seen it yet but it sounds like with the title that they're trying some meta stuff that might not work out as intended.  I still like the show but if it gets weirder and weirder I may be best off watching Sammy's vlog with my wife and cherry pick the good stuff from BTE.

Speaking of vlogs one that I recently found to be quite nice is Ethan Page's vlog.  It's mainly him shooting the shit with AEW folks backstage and covering whatever angle him and/or Scrop are in.  If you want something that's not a bunch of skits it's well worth checking out.

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Sometimes it takes that long for the song to kick in. Did he come out to "Simply the Best" ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Gorman said:

Sometimes it takes that long for the song to kick in. Did he come out to "Simply the Best" ?

Nope lol. A shitty custom rap song his friend laid over a track from Grand Theft Auto. It didn't have a chorus or a breakdown he was waiting for. He just though the lyrics were fire and said that's what his people came for. He ended up quitting two or three years in because no promoter would put up with his shit anymore. He also demanded half the gate to work the next show after the street fight I had mentioned. Half the gate... for fuck's sake. Delusional.

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

That makes sense, but the variables are completely different.  I’m talking about formatting for television or in this case YouTube.  I’ve also given you a number of examples of how they are already doing this on Dynamite.  Huge difference between an indie guy working one shot or event wanting to get all his stuff in and a contracted employee working for a television promotion.  In some cases I was even suggesting a split screen or inset promo by the same guy entering or his rival (which would further tell the story they’re involved in).  You really think said wrestler is going to cause heat over this, and remain a valued employee? You’re responding to the idea of cutting all entrances, and that’s not what I’m saying or was ever saying.  I’m talking about tv formatting and making better editing choices.  Again, nothing I’ve suggested is breaking from what they already do.  

You're being a little too stubborn here, and the highlighted text is false. They don't cut contracted talent's entrances currently on Dark or Elevation. They don't cut right to the bell of the match starting. They don't overlay promos in instead of an entrance. Those are the main things you said you'd like to see, yeah? So what you're suggesting is breaking from what they do. But no worries I'm going to disengage now. Just a difference of opinion on what would or wouldn't offend a wrestler. Carry on.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Nope lol. A shitty custom rap song his friend laid over a track from Grand Theft Auto. It didn't have a chorus or a breakdown he was waiting for. He just though the lyrics were fire and said that's what his people came for. He ended up quitting two or three years in because no promoter would put up with his shit anymore. He also demanded half the gate to work the next show after the street fight I had mentioned. Half the gate... for fuck's sake. Delusional.

You're being a little too stubborn here, and the highlighted text is false. They don't cut contracted talent's entrances currently on Dark or Elevation. They don't cut right to the bell of the match starting. They don't overlay promos in instead of an entrance. Those are the main things you said you'd like to see, yeah? So what you're suggesting is breaking from what they do. But no worries I'm going to disengage now. Just a difference of opinion on what would or wouldn't offend a wrestler. Carry on.

Ha, easy fella!  There's nothing to get angry about here.  I was just trying to explain my position in response to your comments.  

Okay, so, yes, inset promos are not a thing currently, but what is a thing currently is Split Screens.  They use them for pic in pic. Using this technique during an entrance, as they have many times on Dynamite, is a great use of it - as opposed to middle of the match.  My idea is a split screen (during SOME, NOT ALL, Dark/Elevation entrances) but instead of a Ric Flair or Papa John's commercial we could have a guy or gal's promo.  As you've highlighted, not exactly the same thing.  Apologies for misleading you there.  

Further, I didn't say they were using the same techniques on Dynamite and Dark.  I was suggesting the ideas I had proposed were things that were either happening or (as above) similarly happening on Dynamite, hence why it wouldn't be such a huge deal to do it on Dark.  And hence why I can't see a contracted AEW wrestler (not a 'delusional' indie/never-was or will be like your example) saying 'Sorry Tony, I can't have any moment of my entrance split screened or cut, brother'.  

... a Spade a spade?

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I think a fair thing to acknowledge about the entrances too is that they don't take as long as the WWE's does. Just rewatched some entrances from SD, Dark, and Dynamite this past week for reference

AEW
Fuego Del Sol + Mark Stunt = 37 seconds (AEW DARK MATCH)
Blade + Bunny = 39 seconds
OC + Statlander = 1 minute (song kept playing, but after that it was Aubrey checking Blade for weapons)
FTR + Wardlows entrance on Dynamite = 28 seconds
Young Bucks = 1 minute 44 seconds (by far the longest)

WWE
Roman Reigns entrance to start SmackDown Friday? 3 minutes and 16 seconds.
Nakamura - 1 minute and 30 seconds
Cesaro? 1 minute and 10 seconds
Edges entrance to end SD? - 1 minute and 7 seconds (cut to commercial)

Reigns entrance to start SD was 26 seconds slower than Blade/Bunny + OC/Statlander + FTR/Wardlow + Young Bucks. That's kind of wild just how short AEW's entrances usually are.

Edited by Krone Meltzer
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Excellent point. The value in Konnan teaching a whole generation of suburban white kids about eating strawberries and tossing salads can't be undersold.

don't forget peeling his potatoes 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I think a fair thing to acknowledge about the entrances too is that they don't take as long as the WWE's does. Just rewatched some entrances from SD, Dark, and Dynamite this past week for reference

AEW
Fuego Del Sol + Mark Stunt = 37 seconds (AEW DARK MATCH)
Blade + Bunny = 39 seconds
OC + Statlander = 1 minute (song kept playing, but after that it was Aubrey checking Blade for weapons)
FTR + Wardlows entrance on Dynamite = 28 seconds
Young Bucks = 1 minute 44 seconds (by far the longest)

WWE
Roman Reigns entrance to start SmackDown Friday? 3 minutes and 16 seconds.
Nakamura - 1 minute and 30 seconds
Cesaro? 1 minute and 10 seconds
Edges entrance to end SD? - 1 minute and 7 seconds (cut to commercial)

Reigns entrance to start SD was 26 seconds slower than Blade/Bunny + OC/Statlander + FTR/Wardlow + Young Bucks. That's kind of wild just how short AEW's entrances usually are.

Solid stat work there. 

Yeah, I think AEW actually does a pretty good job of limiting the entrances.  Especially on Dynamite.  My point, which got obscured, was never 'they should eliminate entrances'.  I was suggesting some alternatives to 'here's a segment with an entrance and then a match and then onto the next entrance and then match'.  It gets monotonous real fast.  I mentioned Janella and Kiss not needing entrances every time out, but really it could be anybody.  I like seeing a variety - not unlike what they do on Dynamite.  I like an entrance joined in progress from time to time.  I also like when the picture in picture is of an entrance rather than mid-match.  And as suggested I think an inset promo or a video package, rather than commercials (on Dark/Elevation), of something related to the wrestler during the entrance is a nice touch.  The idea of straight to the match/no entrances comes from what they've done a number of times to open up Dynamite.  It feels exciting to just cut straight to it sometimes.  Not always, just here and there.  Obviously Dark/Elevation isn't as sophisticated of a production as Dynamite, but there's a lot of little things that I think would help flow that show much better and maybe attract a little more of the Wednesday night crowd.      

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Okay, so, yes, inset promos are not a thing currently, but what is a thing currently is Split Screens.  They use them for pic in pic. Using this technique during an entrance, as they have many times on Dynamite, is a great use of it - as opposed to middle of the match.  My idea is a split screen (during SOME, NOT ALL, Dark/Elevation entrances) but instead of a Ric Flair or Papa John's commercial we could have a guy or gal's promo.  As you've highlighted, not exactly the same thing.  Apologies for misleading you there.

I think we're having two different conversations. Dynamite does picture in picture commercials Warner Media has sold, as part of their TV deal. Completely controlled by TNT. Dark and Elevation don't have commercials because they are internet shows and not currently broadcast anywhere. So it's comparing apples to pomegranates. Unless you just mean use the technology of the split screen to do a promo at the same time as an entrance? Maybe that's what you mean and I'm just missing your point? That is certainly feasible if that's what you mean? I don't think talent wouldn't have a problem with that. But your initial jumping off point I was speaking to was cutting them all together and just throwing it to the ring.

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Further, I didn't say they were using the same techniques on Dynamite and Dark.  I was suggesting the ideas I had proposed were things that were either happening or (as above) similarly happening on Dynamite, hence why it wouldn't be such a huge deal to do it on Dark.  And hence why I can't see a contracted AEW wrestler (not a 'delusional' indie/never-was or will be like your example) saying 'Sorry Tony, I can't have any moment of my entrance split screened or cut, brother'. 

Sigh. This is where you lose me. Huh? The more successful people become, generally the less humble they become. My point was even nobody indy dudes have had problems with this kind of thing. And moving higher up the food chain certainly means there's gonna be a lot more "that doesn't work for me brother". I'm not saying everyone in AEW is a selfish jerk or anything. But I am saying the egos of dudes making real money are certainly bigger than a "delusional indie/never-was". I don't know what you do as a profession. I'll aim high and say like a doctor maybe. You're using doctor brain and doctor logic on wrestling (or whatever you expertise is). As a wrestler that has dealt with fellow wrestlers, and a promoter who has dealt with talent in that capacity as well... bro... everyone has a problem with everything lol.

21 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I think we're having two different conversations. Dynamite does picture in picture commercials Warner Media has sold, as part of their TV deal. Completely controlled by TNT. Dark and Elevation don't have commercials because they are internet shows and not currently broadcast anywhere. So it's comparing apples to pomegranates. Unless you just mean use the technology of the split screen to do a promo at the same time as an entrance? Maybe that's what you mean and I'm just missing your point? That is certainly feasible if that's what you mean? I don't think talent wouldn't have a problem with that. But your initial jumping off point I was speaking to was cutting them all together and just throwing it to the ring.

I think that's what he's saying. Dark is already loaded with jobber matches for a long 3 hours, maybe cut some of the entrances so that people don't have to take their entire day to watch the C show. Or if you're going to keep it that long, throw in a promo or something in there that keeps you "invested".

• Like 2

this could go in the "wrestling tropes" thread but I'm sick of overly long entrances. Unless its WrestleMania not everyone needs an overly long elaborate entrance. Another area where wrestling in general could be helped by dialing back

• Like 5

What is the word on the street about Tuesday’s Dark lineup. I saw what I thought was the complete taping results from July 7’s Road Rager Dynamite.  There were 17 matches on Monday’s Elevation.  When I saw the list of taped matches from last Dynamite I figured that we would get an 8/9 or 9/8 split spread across Dark Elevation and Dark.  

Man, they really need to fix the names of their YouTube presence.  Why would you name a second show nearly the exact same name? Does Coach Tony K want to fulfill his fantasy of booking similar shows like Shotgun Saturday Night and Shotgun in his very own promotion?  He is truly a weird and goofy man. We can’t feel too mentally superior to him though.  We are the same.  We are all the same as the booker of AEW, y’know.  That explains why we are all   Billionaires like he is.  I think…

I read about her match against Yuka but aside from keeping the apron spot felt it wasn't that sloppy.  Could have been good editing but they told the story they needed to tell.  And at some point if Acclaimed keep getting cheered when coming out then they'll have to turn face.  He had to go cheap with the Heat diss in order for them to boo but one day they'll find a way to embrace it without losing their awesomeness.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

E6Lfx0kXoAc9R37?format=jpg&name=small

On any indie promotion in America, this would be an easy win for Rickey Shane Page. Dante wouldn't be ready for that level of competition. But in AEW, RSP is jobbing hard.

• Like 1