DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

Any idea what exactly the arrangement is for AEW wrestlers being able to take outside bookings? Some guys work indies pretty regularly and I'm wondering if they gave the wrestlers some latitude on that so they could earn a living during Covid and if they'll change the position once they start doing more house shows.

I don't think house shows were ever in the cards for AEW. Or at least not a full time road schedule of them like WWE did. Strictly a TV / PPV product with maybe one or two non televised special events a year is how they've always talked about it. And who can disagree, even WWE was losing money on house shows before the rona. So I think it's just a by-product of being the wrestler friendly promotion. If they ask to work a few outside dates that don't coincide with an AEW date, TK will probably okay them. It's a bit of a risk of potential injury, but it's off set with good publicity letting their guys get out there and show up anywhere. That buys a lot of good will from wrestling fans at those events. Guerilla marketing if you will.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Jon-Moxley-Bald.jpg?width=900

What's Sam Roberts doing in the New Japan Zone?!?

That's apparently a very convincing photoshop but he has shaved his head. Good call.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Thank Christ. Moxley finally shaved his head. I was wondering when he was going to do that. He's buzzed it before, but this sounds like he took a razor to it, which, as a person who has been doing that for years, is really the best move. His hairline has been receding a lot so it's time to take it all off.

As I occasionally have to remind my wife, letting some stubble grow on the sides isn't going to convince anyone I have hair on top.  

• Haha 3

Elevation on Monday:

• B. Cage vs Angels
  • Shida vs Hart
  • Hobbs vs B. Black
  • Riho vs A. Nova
  • Acclaimed & Chaos Project vs Gunn Club & Varsity Blondes
  • Sky vs Dean
  • Velvet vs Grey
  • Ellie vs Rosa
  • Hardy vs Del Sol
  • Johnson vs Boy
  • Conti vs Labrava

Nothing announced for Dark on Tuesday though. I'm guessing they filmed that after TV, rather than before. But last week's under an hour Elevation seems to have been a one-off... was the crowd less enthusiastic on the live TV episode because they'd all shown up early and burned out watching the Elevation matches?

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Elevation on Monday:

• B. Cage vs Angels
  • Shida vs Hart
  • Hobbs vs B. Black
  • Riho vs A. Nova
  • Acclaimed & Chaos Project vs Gunn Club & Varsity Blondes
  • Sky vs Dean
  • Velvet vs Grey
  • Ellie vs Rosa
  • Hardy vs Del Sol
  • Johnson vs Boy
  • Conti vs Labrava

Nothing announced for Dark on Tuesday though. I'm guessing they filmed that after TV, rather than before. But last week's under an hour Elevation seems to have been a one-off... was the crowd less enthusiastic on the live TV episode because they'd all shown up early and burned out watching the Elevation matches?

No, it’s just Miami. The majority of fans showed up for the 8 PM show, and left at 10 PM. They only filmed half the matches under an hour for Dark Elevation. Nothing crazy to get fans up off their seats. A lot of short pedestrian matches. The Fuego match was the only match that was made to get a special pop, but that was it. Most of the heat was for Dynamite. I left before the 2nd set of tapings so I don’t know how those went over. 

Edit: Actually the Varsity Blonds Vs. Acclaimed multi man was booked in a way to give the fans a peppy match too. Still it’s Miami, and it’s not very rowdy for the small stuff as much as the big stuff. Jacksonville for DoN from a few weeks prior was way more amped for the special pre-show match than any match at this show to be honest.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of the Blondes, it's being reported that Brian Pillman Jr. contract ran out for MLW last night and has now signed exclusively to AEW. I'm sure we all assumed it was a foregone conclusion before, but now it's official. I like that. I actually have a feeling Pillman and Garrison can break out in maybe like 3-5 years as pretty reputable singles stars. I see big things for both of them in the future.

• Like 1

With the right makeover I can see Griff Garrison as a new Sting. He’s a very underrated freak of an athlete like Dustin Rhodes, and Sting were in their youth. He even sort of has that weird face like Steve does without the makeup 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

6 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Speaking of the Blondes, it's being reported that Brian Pillman Jr. contract ran out for MLW last night and has now signed exclusively to AEW. 

The New Hart Foundation stable hasn't hit on anything in years since Teddy Hart fucked up and DBS Jr. is doing his own thing now, so Pillman leaving is good for him and for MLW's payroll.  Pillman can enjoy increased exposure and MLW can bring in new guys to fill the void.

6 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

With the right makeover I can see Griff Garrison as a new Sting. He’s a very underrated freak of an athlete like Dustin Rhodes, and Sting were in their youth. He even sort of has that weird face like Steve does without the makeup 

Funny... I see a young Barry Windham in Griff. He's lanky and smooth in his movements.

Edited by Wyld Samurai
  • Like 1

I see Sam Houston/Kendall Windham level being his ceiling. 

Nothing about Pillman or Garrison really excites me, they're competent, but they're bland.

I also remember Pillman Jr being a jerk to women at an event I saw him at a couple of years ago.  Maybe it's one off or he's matured, but I have a pretty low opinion of him.  DBS Jr was classy though.

I also see a lot of other talent in AEW being able to leapfrog those two.  I think they might be ones to jump to WWE in a few years and do better there. 

If Hook is competent in ring, and bulks up some, I think he's got potential.  I need to see if he's more than a meme though.

Edited by alstein

Hook was never a meme, what are you talking about?

And AEW would be wise to sign the entire Varsity Blonds act. I'm eager to see how over they are outside of the Jacksonville crowd, but if that home fanbase is anything to go by... ohhh boy, they're over.

• Like 2

Danny Limelight signed with MLW.

I am pretty high on him after seeing every one Of his Elevation/Dark/Dynamite matches in 2020-21..  Limelight vs Felix gave me flashbacks to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  That film came out in 2000 but Limelight was hitting the ropes and flying in a way that I haven’t seen since the tree fighting scene in CTHD.  Limelight  would also use the outside of the ring ropes much like the already awesome Rey Fenix.  He had several matches that allowed him to really showcase his mad skills, yo.  

AEW really doesn’t need a great prospect at this stage of their development as a promotion.  Limelight seemed a lot farther along than the guys in Private Party or Top Flight.  He can work the crowd better than babyface Private Party or the Martin Brothers - at this early stage in their careers.  AEW doesn’t need another flyer right now…unless he was already a star with a following his/her fans will jump with from wherever an unnamed hypothetical star quality high flyer works in 2021.  

MLW could probably use someone like Limelight more than AEW does.  Tony K can always send Kris Statlander and a man-sized bag if AEW should decide they need him.  The two promotions also seem to have a good relationship for future sharing agreements.  That is probably the way to do business, Tony K.

9 hours ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

Danny Limelight signed with MLW.

I am pretty high on him after seeing every one Of his Elevation/Dark/Dynamite matches in 2020-21..  Limelight vs Felix gave me flashbacks to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  That film came out in 2000 but Limelight was hitting the ropes and flying in a way that I haven’t seen since the tree fighting scene in CTHD.  Limelight  would also use the outside of the ring ropes much like the already awesome Rey Fenix.  He had several matches that allowed him to really showcase his mad skills, yo.  

AEW really doesn’t need a great prospect at this stage of their development as a promotion.  Limelight seemed a lot farther along than the guys in Private Party or Top Flight.  He can work the crowd better than babyface Private Party or the Martin Brothers - at this early stage in their careers.  AEW doesn’t need another flyer right now…unless he was already a star with a following his/her fans will jump with from wherever an unnamed hypothetical star quality high flyer works in 2021.  

MLW could probably use someone like Limelight more than AEW does.  Tony K can always send Kris Statlander and a man-sized bag if AEW should decide they need him.  The two promotions also seem to have a good relationship for future sharing agreements.  That is probably the way to do business, Tony K.

I suspect MLW/NJPW Strong deal.  Easier to work Strong that way.  LImelight in a BOSJ would be nice.

I think something went sour with Limelight/AEW.  Either wanted too much money to sign or ran afoul of the wrong person backstage. Or something.  They were giving him shine against TOP guys, giving him some wins on Dark, had him on Dynamite…he was clearly a guy they were high on, so for them to drop him abruptly without even airing his last taped Dark match suggests they washed their hands of him.

Edited by EVA

I was thinking, maybe hoping, AEW recognized that he, Danny, could be a more valuable asset after some seasoning and time featured elsewhere. He’s got great raw athletic ability, but needs to drop some of the indie-rific flips into moves that couldn’t possibly benefit from the flip.  And more importantly he hasn’t quite put together his character.  Something I think he’ll find being featured in a MLW.  He wasn’t breaking past  job duty in the near future in AEW anyway, so happy to see him elsewhere.  

15 hours ago, alstein said:

I also remember Pillman Jr being a jerk to women at an event I saw him at a couple of years ago.  Maybe it's one off or he's matured, but I have a pretty low opinion of him.  DBS Jr was classy though.

This is kind of a big accusation to be flippantly putting out there.  'Being a jerk to women' isn't exactly a detailed account of his behaviour.  If you're gonna attempt to bury the guy at least clearly explain his conduct.  Safe to say there are a lot of ppl pulling for a guy like Pillman Jr. who has, even at his low position in the card, risen above a lifetime of hardships and misery.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Thanks 1

Are matches on AEW Dark edited or something?  Apparently, the shows often have 15-17 matches but the running times listed by Youtube don't seem to be excessive.  15 matches in two hours seems like it would need to be 15 short squash matches.

Edited by Eoae

Lance Archer's ring entrance takes longer than his match, so you shave some minutes there. Generally the matches are short and squashy though. It's very much like watching TV wrestling from before the Monday Night Wars started. 

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Are matches on AEW Dark edited or something?  Apparently, the shows often have 15-17 matches but the running times listed by Youtube don't seem to be excessive.  15 matches in two hours seems like it would need to be 15 short squash matches.

They have edited matches to remove obvious blown spots, but have kept a lot of the dumb shit wrestlers have done so Taz & Excalibur can crack on. The secret to keeping the show under two hours is only the signed talent get entrances. There are special jobbers that get entrances, but otherwise it’s the ones that are under contract. The majority of matches are squashes. Only about three, or four are competitive matches between the signed talent. There also isn’t a lot of extra fluff on these shows. Which is something I wish they did. Occasionally they’ll do the Waiting Room Hosted By Britt Baker which is a Piper’s Pit style segment, and a backstage interview, but I would clock those very low in total time for the last 3 months.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs