DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

18 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Talking about losing streaks is reminding of Cutler & Avalon building to that losing streak blow off that barely existed because of COVID.

The Cutler / Avalon feud is the thing that built AEW Dark.  A story a thousand times more compelling than anything on television at the time.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, EVA said:

Continuing on my MOTY love from the Dynamite thread, Scorpio Sky squashing Marcus Kross was super fun this week.  I mean, Kross’s hair gives you a lot to work with, but Sky used it for all it was worth.  Rare to see heat like that in a squash these days.

Surprised no Beavis joke. I mean it’s dated, and he’s really doing a DBZ gimmick, but look at the guy.

Speaking of Marcus Kross, I recalled him doing some shots in ROH as part of a tag team, but I didn’t remember his partner at all.  Just some fairly non-descript guy from what I could recall.

Then commentary dropped that it was Griff Garrison.  At the risk of sounding too much like JR and triggering a 5 page detour, he’s really filled out his frame in the last couple of years.  Hard to imagine NOT taking note of that guy now.

Edited by EVA

So this kind of bummed me out.  I can see why Fuego wasn't signed but he seemed like a pretty great guy.  Hope things work out for him.

Spoiler

BUUUUUUT check the ending with Cody.  Makes me really hopeful to see Fuego eventually signed but more importantly Kilyn King.  She's too goddamn good to not be part of all this unless there's something we don't know about.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Then commentary dropped that it was Griff Garrison.  At the risk of sounding too much like JR and triggering a 5 page detour, he’s really filled out his frame in the last couple of years.  Hard to imagine NOT taking note of that guy now.

Who the fuck is Griff Garrison?

• Like 5

Honestly, I think the best thing for Dark workers like Fuego and King is to be free for a while.  They’re all young and varying degrees of inexperienced.  Thanks to their AEW exposure, they’re going to have a lot of new doors opened to them. Let them go get some experience in new places for a while.

• Like 9

When Sammy and Cody were hanging out on top of the Blood and Guts cage a few weeks ago, joking about how Fuego would be photographed wearing a "Property of WWE Performance Centre" shirt soon, that might not happen for Fuego. But I can see NXT grabbing Kilynn as soon as they legally can. Like Ben Carter / Elayna Black fast.

Yeah, seems really strange with such a shallow talent pool in the division that they’d let Kilynn King ‘go north’ or wherever.  She certainly needs some polish, but there’s clearly some raw ability.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

The Cutler / Avalon feud is the thing that built AEW Dark.  A story a thousand times more compelling than anything on television at the time.

Of course, to each their own, but that seems like more than a bit of a stretch.  What’s the time frame of that feud and blow off match to compare to what was making TV?  I liked that they were running a Dark only feud (they ought to do more), but I can’t say i was ever compelled to do anything more than skim their segments and matches.  That said, love the current Young Boy Cutler and Wingman manager Peter Avalon.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

The Covid era of AEW has sped up the development of alot of young green workers compared to the Kona Reeves and Aliyahs of the WWE system who have been in development for years and still look like they've been working for 6 months.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Of course, to each their own, but that seems like more than a bit of a stretch.  What’s the time frame of that feud and blow off match to compare to what was making TV?  I liked that they were running a Dark only feud (they ought to do more), but I can’t say i was ever compelled to do anything more than skim their segments and matches.  That said, love the current Young Boy Cutler and Wingman manager Peter Avalon.

i am far from the majority, but i watch Dynamite and BTE. Never made time for Dark or Dark Elevation. except for the Cutler/Avalon feud. I looked forward to each match they had.

This is more in response to other closed threads where it’s a common complaint, but I’ll just put it here. I think there’s plenty of valid criticisms to make about JR, but I am a bit baffled on this obsession with his comments on physiques. Physiques are an obvious built in narrative when you’re commentating a contact sport. I can’t believe I feel inclined to point that out. I don’t see how it promotes an unhealthy body image for the UFC commentators to point out how Mackenzie Dern’s physique has improved and has seemingly had a positive impact on her recent win streak. When a young kid like Chase Cooper is fighting, his physique is the elephant in the room. How can you not talk about how he would benefit from bulking up and adding some power to his frame? Sean O’Malley is another who’s filled out his frame more to add a little man strength and it’s working out well for him. It’s the same with Jungle Boy and Griff Garrison, these are young kids who haven’t even fully matured, advising them to add some mass and pump some iron while their natural test and GH levels are peaking is not some sort of dog whistle that they need to get in touch with Brian Cage’s dealer. It’s perfectly reasonable to expect a 23 year old kid to be able to add 15 pounds of lean mass over a few years. If you think that’s some sort of unreasonable pressure to put on some kids who are on the cusp of stardom, you’re crazy.

• Like 4

With all the press that CJ Perry (TAFKA Lana) has had recently I stumbled upon the stupidly infamous engagement photo.  She has said that someone she sent it to must have leaked it.  After seeing the picture for the first time I thought Miro resembled a certain Hungy Meat Man, John Silver. Miro looked like he would be right at home with the Dark Order.  If he kept that look he could have been Silver’s twin…or at least his older brother.

Would you rather fight a Miro sized John Silver or 15 John Silver sized Miros?

Edited by Ryan Faulconer
Miro and the Meat Man two great tastes that would go great together

46 minutes ago, A.M.B. said:

I don’t see how it promotes an unhealthy body image for the UFC commentators to point out how Mackenzie Dern’s physique has improved and has seemingly had a positive impact on her recent win streak.

Please explain what you would expect if JR were to comment on Mackenzie Dern's body type.

Tony Khan was on Dan LeBatard's show and weirdly blamed the poor explosion in the barb wire match on the fact they used professionals.

This is the recap from the WON site

In a Tuesday interview with Dan LeBatard to promote Wednesday's Dynamite in Miami, AEW president Tony Khan said the company will do another exploding barbed wire deathmatch in the future despite the pyro failure that marred the ending of their first one.

He also discussed the failure for the first time and his displeasure for it: something he didn't do at the post-Revolution press conference or in subsequent interviews.

At the conclusion of March's Revolution, Eddie Kingston laid on Jon Moxley following Moxley's loss to AEW Champion Kenny Omega, attempting to shield his enemy/friend from a giant explosion that was about to go off. Instead, sparklers went off on the ring posts with a few puffs of smoke in a visual that left fans disappointed as Kingston just laid on Moxley as the PPV went off the air.

Khan blamed the failure on using professional pyro personnel who didn't understand wrestling, but he was trying to be "too safe."

"They totally sh*t the bed," Khan said, adding that he didn't pay the unnamed company who refunded the $100,000 for "the expense of the match." Khan didn't clarify what the alternative was to using a professional company to handle such things in the future, but wants somebody that "knows wrestling."

"They screwed up royally. All they had to do was set off the final explosion and again, it's because we had to use professional pyrotechnic people," Khan said.

Khan said they will do that type of match again because it drew. 

"Everything Jon and Kenny did up until that point was outstanding. It wasn't their fault the thing didn't go off. Long story short, that was a long time ago and we've bounced back since then. That was three months ago and everything has been pretty perfect and really couldn't have gone much better," he said.

He added he was grateful that the next PPV (Double or Nothing) did a big buyrate and he didn't want to make the pro wrestling mistake of having back-to-back failures and wanted Double or Nothing to be a great show from start to finish.

I am gonna give him the benefit of the doubt here because otherwise it comes across as "Fuck people who know what they are doing! We should have just let Pharaoh push the button!"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Tony Khan was on Dan LeBatard's show and weirdly blamed the poor explosion in the barb wire match on the fact they used professionals.

I am gonna give him the benefit of the doubt here because otherwise it comes across as "Fuck people who know what they are doing! We should have just let Pharaoh push the button!"

As much as I love what TK is doing,his biggest weakness is that of quality control. Nobody or no thing is really held to a standard until it's pointed out to him well after the fact.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Just fly Onita in to oversee it.  There, problem solved. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Please explain what you would expect if JR were to comment on Mackenzie Dern's body type.

Heat.jpg

Edited by Jiji
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Just fly Onita in to oversee it.  There, problem solved. 

I think flying in Onita as a way to say to fans "OK, we mean it this time" is a necessary part of a second attempt. I absolutely think they will, even if Onita may not be a licensed or useful pyrotechnician and half+ of the crowd will have no idea who he is. Onita needs to finance another video game + a run at some prefecture's seat for vice comptroller, after all.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

At this point, AEW's roster is like @The Natural's Funko Pop collection. It's not that you already have enough. It's that you have too many and you know you have too many... but, c'mon, like you are not going to add the La Sombra and Tommy End ones to your collection? Of course you are going to get those ones, too. And keep your fingers crossed for the release of an American Dragon special edition.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure that, in Hawaiian, "Malakai" means "to make love or to make out" so maybe they are going to go with a Booty Man/Beaver Cleavage/World's Largest Love Machine type of gimmick for Tommy End in AEW. Luckily Dean "Ladies' Man" Malenko is there backstage to advise him on that!

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 4