DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

Losing to Andrade, even outside of AEW, would mark his first singles loss since… late 2019? 2020? I’m not sure if I’d want that to happen just yet, but I guess the bright side is they can play it up like he hasn’t lost a singles match in AEW in 600+ days and just barely acknowledge losing the AAA title. Not like they’re promoting the Andrade match anyway, and that’s in a little over a month. Hangman should end his undefeated (in AEW) record.

As for the Bucks… I know we’re all down on Luchasaurus, and high on Jungle Boy, but them being the ones to defeat the Bucks wouldn’t make me mad. Alternatively, I’m really digging the Varsity Blonds as of late. But the safe bet is probably Santana & Ortiz, I guess.

19 hours ago, Infinit said:

I guess Zelina won't be joining Andrade in AEW lol

I'd be real interested to know when she re-signed. There's a real possibility she went back to the E thinking her husband was still gonna be there.  That would suck ass.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

As for the Bucks… I know we’re all down on Luchasaurus, and high on Jungle Boy, but them being the ones to defeat the Bucks wouldn’t make me mad.

I'm high on both of them!

And yes, Jurassic Express are the right choice to dethrone the Bucks.

Tough call to who dethrones Bucks between Santana and Ortiz and Mox and Kingston. I'm torn myself, as I want Kingston to be part of the team that dethrones them, but also totally respect the argument of a true team like Santana and Ortiz beating them. One argument for Kingston/Mox is that they can quickly flip them to FTR, and then FTR enjoys a good run before Santana/Ortiz or returning Trent with Best Friends defeats them (as long Trent can come back in say a year or so).

Edited by Big Z
  • Like 1

You know, I hadn't really seen too much of this guy before he joined AEW, but he's somebody who has really grown on me. Despite being in a tag team I think he could really add something as a singles guy and he's still relatively young at 31 years old.

I'm talking about Ethan Page. He just has something, that intangible It Factor that I just can't put my finger on. I like him and Sky as a tag team despite how off the wall it initially felt, but I also thought with Sky winning the Face of the Revolution ladder match that he was kind of beginning a singles push. Ethan Page vs. Ricky Starks, I see money.

I want Moxley/Kingston or #FTR to dethrone the Young Bucks for the AEW World Tag Team Championship. Mox/Kingston should have beat the Bucks for them at Double or Nothing 2021. I'd go with #FTR. If I had my way, #FTR would be in the spot the Bucks are, having their long reign. Always preferred #FTR to the Young Bucks. Santana/Ortiz would be my third choice.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I want Moxley/Kingston or #FTR to dethrone the Young Bucks for the AEW World Tag Team Championship. Mox/Kingston should have beat the Bucks for them at Double or Nothing 2021. I'd go with #FTR. If I had my way, #FTR would be in the spot the Bucks are, having their long reign. Always preferred #FTR to the Young Bucks. Santana/Ortiz would be my third choice.

I've always figured that it would be FTR. You had that set up in their first match where FTR were clearly heels and The Bucks were still in the process of turning and you didn't have crowds back and FTR didn't stick to their gameplan and so they weren't able to take the titles from the Bucks even though the Bucks were hobbled and not at their best.

A very nice conclusion to that might be to have a clearly heel Bucks team that everyone is sick of seeing as champs lose the belts to a clearly face-turned FTR with Tully coaching them to stick to the gameplan this time, in front of a hot crowd. It'll take a little patience to get to that point, where damn near everyone hates the Bucks with a Just Drew/Goodear kind of passion and FTR and Tully have well and truly turned to the light side of the Force.

You could also take your time and build to Santana and Ortiz taking the belts, which I think would be a lot more satisfying than rushing a change.

I can't quite wrap my head around the demand for frequent title changes. The Bucks can still build a lot more heel heat to make the change even more satisfying. The crowds are going to be hot and tickets are going to sell well for a while just based on most people being starved for live entertainment after more than a year of staying home. There's no need to rush a title change.

Then again, I have never been of the mindset that whichever wrestler I am currently enamoured with needs to get belted up straight away. As I've said before, guys like Tito Santana, Rick Rude, Ricky Steamboat, Mr. Perfect, Jake the Snake and Roddy Piper never got a world title run but we all remember them as being among the great and/or our favourite WWF wrestlers.

tl/dr: I feel like it can be a lot more satisfying to really build up to a massive climax.

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 4

As a long time of lover of Ortiz's tendency towards tiger style and pointing at his big brain, I'd be down for (if I wasn't) Proud & (then I wouldn't be) Powerful taking the belts off the Bucks. I see what others have said about Santana and star factor. Do ye think that maybe the lockdown (and inability to get to a barber) may have helped? He was a bit generic looking with the short hair, but now (especially when rocking his leather jacket, not the biker style one) he has the look of one of the detectives backing up Denzel in Training Day and it's a great look. 

I'd do Uno and Stu to take the belts, or Silver and Reynolds in a mega-fluke upset, at All Out, make it a Dark Order night, except for the TNT belt, the one prize they still want.

Gives Miro a future feud for Hangman as well.  THink Miro, Andrade, PAC, and MJF should be Hangman's title defenses.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

Before the PPV I would’ve said “no” to Moxley & Kingston as tag champs because we never got a real sense if this would work on TV wrestling, but after the match happened I was 100% on going with that team eventually. Probably for one of the New York shows. But you could do two title matches. Kingston & Moxley challenging in Rochester, and Santana & Ortiz dethroning the Bucks at Arthur Ashe.

Edit: Oh wait, the stadium show comes before Rochester. I guess only one challenge in the end. Still that’s where I’d switch the belts.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I like how no member of the Pinnacle or the Inner Circle is even considering going for a title until the other faction is eradicated. Completely logical motivation for all characters involved & it frees up spots for other potential challengers. It's an old trick, but giving people non-championship objectives is crucial to to the artform.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Before the PPV I would’ve said “no” to Moxley & Kingston as tag champs because we never got a real sense if this would work on TV wrestling, but after the match happened I was 100% on going with that team eventually. Probably for one of the New York shows. But you could do two title matches. Kingston & Moxley challenging in Rochester, and Santana & Ortiz dethroning the Bucks at Arthur Ashe.

Edit: Oh wait, the stadium show comes before Rochester. I guess only one challenge in the end. Still that’s where I’d switch the belts.

Santana and Ortiz winning at the Arthur Ashe Dynamite is a freaking tremendous idea ??

• Like 2

Would you want to have Kingston losing a hard fought, valiant match against Miro on the same show? Or would that kill the crowd for the big moment for Santana & Ortiz? 

• Like 1

Tends on how they structure the show. If they do a hometown combo of Miro Vs. Kingston, and The Bucks Vs. Santana & Ortiz, then do some sort of video package for the live audience, and tv audience to emphasize these two acts “coming home”. Then have Miro beat Kingston in a “hard fought” way as you say, but afterwards follow up with a solo Proud & Powerful package to give the fans hope. That way you don’t kill any buzz just in case,  before you pull the trigger on a title change. 

I honestly don’t believe the crowd would get deflated, but you never know, so it’s better to drop hints to keep the fans attention.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Kenny Omega's injuries update on f4wonline.com:

AEW World Champion Kenny Omega is feeling a lot better these days as he has been working through an athletic hernia.

Dave Meltzer reported Omega's injury several weeks ago in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, but said this week that the champion is feeling a lot better following stem cell treatment and PRP (platelet-rich plasma) therapy.

"He said it wasn’t night and day, but he felt it made a world of difference," Meltzer wrote.

Several weeks ago, Meltzer said Omega was dealing with the hernia, a deep tailbone bruise, seven stiches following a belt shot to PAC at Double or Nothing, a stomach virus and "the normal wear and tear on his knees."

"...He’s definitely in a lot of pain getting through the recent big matches. At the fan fest the day before the PPV, he said there are days he wakes up and walks around where he thinks maybe he’s close to the time to hang it up because his body is feeling worse. But, he also noted that having real fans in the building when he’s performing makes him feel a lot better," Meltzer wrote.

Omega defeated Jungle Boy on the Saturday, June 26th AEW Dynamite, retaining his title.

Spoiler

1. Moving someone from the corner to the ropes
2. What Chant
3. Yelling out moves before attempting them
4. Having to shave your body hair
5. Body shaming

• Has an unannounced upcoming project with the AEW Games YouTube channel. Might be something like what Xavier Woods is doing withn UpUpDownDown, but I'm just baseless speculating. I get the feeling it's probably Evil Uno playing video games with other wrestlers on the roster.
  • Preston Vance & Alan Angels were actually a part of the creepers in the early days of the Dark Order. Brodie Lee specifically requested to work with them (along with Anna Jay and Colt Cabana). Brodie also bought either Angels or Vance some ring gear - I can't remember which.
  • He thinks FTR is one of the greatest tag teams, and in a few years will be remembered as one of the best ever. He also agrees with them about tag team rules, like tag ropes, 10 count with both members in the ring and referees enforcing rules.
  • Talked about the rumored Trios titles, and suggested to make it different from regular tag team or six man matches to have the rules for the titles to be under lucha rules (rolling under the ropes or performing a dive to the outside counts as a tag).
  • In hindsight, he doesn't think they (or the fans) were ready to see the Dark Order beat down the entire Elite in December 2019. The talk about the Exalted One started a few weeks after that show closing segment. The talks of Luther being the leader must've not gotten very far, since he never personally was talked to about it (knew about Brodie, obviously, and Matt Hardy). Also mentions that Dean Malenko told him about the creepers: what they do doesn't reflect on them, it reflects on you. It was an unfortunate lesson that he had to learn the hard way.
  • He got "death threats" throughout 2019 after their debut at Double Or Nothing apparently. Nothing worrying or serious, but definitely messages akin to "I wouldn't mind if Evil Uno dies".
  • Thinks the empty arena shows were ultimately good for AEW talent (but not COVID, obviously) since (for example) if the Acclaimed debuted in front of a full crowd and tried their rap, and it bombed, they might be discouraged or not given a chance to improve it a 2nd or 3rd or 4th time. Allowed a lot of people to grow their characters naturally instead of pivoting on the fly due to potential fan backlash in the arena.
  • Body shaming in pro wrestling should stop (and just in general). He thinks the idea of what a pro wrestler looks like is changing, and shouldn't be put inside a box and held up as the standard. Different body types and sizes are a good thing. Kevin Owens is brought up as an example, and Uno says KO making it in the WWE gave him confidence and the realization he can do this on a big stage too (says they aren't far apart, body wise). Mick Foley is used as another example of someone of a different body type.

• Like 3

On 7/4/2021 at 3:49 AM, The Natural said:

Only discovered this Outside the Ring series yesterday. I recommend you give the show a watch.

The silver and Reynolds one was great. “What’s your favorite season?” “Salt.” It’s always best when she interviews idiots or weirdos. Best dynamic. She is funny too. 

• Like 3

Elevation was only 43 minutes this week. And I started watching half an hour in, because I assumed it would be another 90-120 minuter.

On 7/4/2021 at 1:57 AM, Gordberg said:

I've always figured that it would be FTR. You had that set up in their first match where FTR were clearly heels and The Bucks were still in the process of turning and you didn't have crowds back and FTR didn't stick to their gameplan and so they weren't able to take the titles from the Bucks even though the Bucks were hobbled and not at their best.

A very nice conclusion to that might be to have a clearly heel Bucks team that everyone is sick of seeing as champs lose the belts to a clearly face-turned FTR with Tully coaching them to stick to the gameplan this time, in front of a hot crowd. It'll take a little patience to get to that point, where damn near everyone hates the Bucks with a Just Drew/Goodear kind of passion and FTR and Tully have well and truly turned to the light side of the Force.

You could also take your time and build to Santana and Ortiz taking the belts, which I think would be a lot more satisfying than rushing a change.

I can't quite wrap my head around the demand for frequent title changes. The Bucks can still build a lot more heel heat to make the change even more satisfying. The crowds are going to be hot and tickets are going to sell well for a while just based on most people being starved for live entertainment after more than a year of staying home. There's no need to rush a title change.

Then again, I have never been of the mindset that whichever wrestler I am currently enamoured with needs to get belted up straight away. As I've said before, guys like Tito Santana, Rick Rude, Ricky Steamboat, Mr. Perfect, Jake the Snake and Roddy Piper never got a world title run but we all remember them as being among the great and/or our favourite WWF wrestlers.

tl/dr: I feel like it can be a lot more satisfying to really build up to a massive climax.

It isn't a demand for a frequent title change. It's the diminishing returns on the Young Bucks heeling. I understand not wanting to do too much without crowds, but at some point you have to get out of holding patterns. Not everything has to be yearlong "Golden Corrals" or whatever the thing Kenny was in in Japan is called. Sometimes the story is; you win the title. You lose the title. Not every title reign needs a climax. Sometimes the climax is heels getting beat.