DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2021

The Natural

WWE Dynamite!

Since we're halfway through the year already, what's your AEW MOTY? Mine's still Thunder Rosa vs. Dr. Britt Baker from the 17th of March AEW Dynamite, *****. Not only my AEW MOTY, it's my worldwide pick as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

The triple threat probably. 

Good shout. I have a soft sentimental spot for Sting/Darby Allin vs. Scorpio Sky/Ethan Page seeing Sting put a performance as he did in his first traditional match since what happened to him vs. Seth Rollins at Night of Champions 2015.

Yeah, for real.  I love that I watched that tag with a friend who was a huge Sting fan back in the day.  So we were just having the time of our lives during that match.  I would say that's my favorite one this year though I'm okay with not ranking best matches.  I'll leave that to you and others.

Though I will say that going back to late last year too the person that I ended up liking tons more was Serena Deeb.  I never followed her wrestling career much but once she had the heel tendencies (and the match before injury especially) she was on another level.  It was one of those "out of left field" things for me but I could stand to see much more of her matches.  I'm not sure if her past work is on par but I'm very open to suggestions.

• Like 2

Miro vs. Darby is another one of the best matches from the year and really established Miro as The Redeemer. He's the best thing going and Darby is his perfect foil. There hasn't been the Hangmin/Omega vs. Bucks type of all time classic yet, just a lot of great matches in the 4/4.25 range with a few I'd go at 4.5, like the Rosa/Britt brawl, triple threat, and maybe Darby/Miro. Now that they're going back on the road, thankfully, I think that will change and the atmosphere from fans will help not only with the actual matches but also the build up so we're all more excited to see the match itself.

Really loved the Arcade Anarchy match (dumb name but I get it), Bucks vs. Kingston/Mox, Omega vs. Fenix, and Omega vs. Jungle Boy. Sting/Darby vs. Men of the Year for sentimental reasons too.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 5

Dax-JB, Darby-JB, Omega-JB, Rosa-Baker, Miro vs Darby, maybe something with Deeb, maybe something with Christian are my 2021 standouts from AEW, with an honourable mention to Bucks-SCU (yay for Christopher Daniels blood). No obvious #1 in the bunch. Hopefully the second half of the year is better and there's a more robust collection of work worth thinking about in six months time. Being back on the road with full-ish houses should give everyone a chance to give this product the shot in the arm it needs. At the very least, getting them in doors and out of the heat should be a big boost to everyone's performance. 

• Like 2

Y'all have done a great job listing the best AEW matches of 2021 so far. I agree that we very likely have even better stuff ahead of us as they move back indoors and go on tour in front of white hot crowds.

These are not necessarily candidates for "the best" AEW matches so far, but they are all among my favourite AEW matches of 2021:

Bear Country vs TH2 (Dark, March 25) (also vs Chaos Project, Dark, Feb 4)

Bear Bronson vs Brian Cage (Dark, April 22), Lance Archer (Dark Elevation, May 12), and Jungle Boy (Dark, May 29)

JD Drake vs Eddie Kingston (Dark, Feb 17), Darby Allin (Dynamite, April 4), Rocky Romero (Dark Elevation, May 13), and Jungle Boy (Dark Elevation, May 28)

Serena Deeb vs Tay Conti (Dynamite New Years Smash Jan 7)

Tay Conti vs The Bunny (Dynamite, April 7) vs Shida (Dynamite April 21), and vs. Natalia Markova (Dark June 4th)

Abadon vs Ryo Mizunami (Dark Elevation, April 22) 

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 2

@Gordberg: Forgot Hikaru Shida vs. Tay Conti, that narrowly missed my Best AEW Matches list. It's my second favourite AEW women's match behind only Rosa/Baker Lights Out. Really need to see Serena Deeb bouts.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Interesting that Blood and Guts hasn't shown till now. Guessing it's because of the outside the cage, on top of the roof finish? There were things I liked from the match: the violence, #FTR, Sammy Guevara, Santana and Ortiz. Things I didn't, everything outside the cage. I rarely do when that happens. I find it a hard match to rank for these reasons. Does the good outweigh the bad or vice versa?

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Interesting that Blood and Guts hasn't shown till now. Guessing it's because of the outside the cage, on top of the roof finish?

Just speaking on behalf of myself? 100% this. If I were only voting on Cash Wheeler being a stud, MOTY. Structuring the match building to that finish? Miss me with it. Sorry they wasted Jericho's health on nonsense. 

At least it produced this fun this week.

Spoiler

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Just speaking on behalf of myself? 100% this. If I were only voting on Cash Wheeler being a stud, MOTY. Structuring the match building to that finish? Miss me with it. Sorry they wasted Jericho's health on nonsense. 

At least it produced this fun this week.

Hide contents

The finish is the last thing you see having invested in what led up to it be it books, films, games and wrestling matches. I think said finish in Blood and Guts outweighs the good. That's a shame.

Edited by The Natural

You know what, let's throw Statlander vs Queen Amanita from Elevation into the pile.  It started out with some joking and once the switch flipped they had a helluva match.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

RATINGS stuff about Wednesday and last Saturday:

MJF vs. Sammy Guevara main event peaked the show with 926,000 viewers and 0.40 (517,000) in 18-49.

They also nearly beat Raw in men 35-49 (218,000 to 215,000) which is the first time they’ve come near Raw in a key demo in a long time

Saturday Dynamite:

Paced by the Kenny Omega vs. Jungle Boy match, AEW on 6/26 did 649,000 viewers and 0.21 (277,000 viewers) in 18-49 and 0.13 in 18-34..

The key to the show was the main event, which did 793,000 viewers, with 364,000 (0.28) in 18-49 and did 0.19 in 18-34, a number that would be very good for AEW on a Wednesday night with no sports opposition. The main event dominated every demo and the gain from the start of the show to the main event was 36.8 percent in overall viewers, 104.7 percent in 18-34, 74.2 percent in women 18-49 and 46.3 percent in men 18-49, which is pretty much unheard for a pro wrestling show, particularly the latter three

AEW was ninth on cable for the night but in the time slot, TNT was second only behind ESPN. Of the eight shows ahead, six were NBA-related shows on ESPN and the other two were an afternoon European soccer championship (0.54) and an afternoon NASCAR (0.22) and if you factor in DVR viewers, AEW will end up way ahead of NASCAR.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Bucks vs Eddie & Penta this Wednesday night is now a street fight for the tag titles.

Liking the stipulation. Still think Moxley/Kingston should have beat the Bucks for the belts at Double or Nothing. As noted earlier not keen on the Eddie/PAC/Fenix/Pentagon pairing.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
51 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Bucks vs Eddie & Penta this Wednesday night is now a street fight for the tag titles.

Really hope Kingston and Penta whip the Bucks without any mugging for the camera or ill-advised taunts from the lesser Lucha Brother.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Really hope Kingston and Penta whip the Bucks without any mugging for the camera or ill-advised taunts from the lesser Lucha Brother.

Said this before and will again. I want to slap Pentagon when he does his taunt over and over.

Edited by The Natural

Correct thread!

What is the endgame with the Young Bucks? It's clear that Page is Omega's guy, but who are the two to take the belts off of the Young Bucks that makes sense and would make all of the heeling and interference worthwhile? I thought it was Moxley and Kingston but I am guessing, with such a focus on the tag division and with so many permanent teams, they didn't want to give them to a temporary team, even one was good as Kingston and Moxley. If it were me, it would be Santana & Ortiz once they finally finish up this shit with FTR. Have them beat FTR (who still have a title shot in the their pocket, right?!), beat the Bucks, and then you can run back FTR in a stip match as a final blow off. Santana is looking real jacked, baby. They've been ready since their first feud with the Bucks in AEW, but Santana in particular has developed a lot in terms of ability on the mic and general presentation. He carries himself like a champ.

I've really enjoyed the Bucks' run and increasingly ridiculous antics and wardrobe, but it should be time by All Out to belt Santana & Ortiz. All Out could have three big title changes but I think they save the Miro title change at least until Revolution. As much as I want Jungle Boy to beat him and take that next step, I don't think they should fuck with Miro right now. He's white hot and his aura can become even greater. Wild guess time: Christian turns on Jungle Boy after failing to beat Omega for the title in late July/early August, giving JB a great program to move closer to Miro's level. I assume Kenny is losing the AAA title to Andrade at Triplemania in August, so that would be the first crack for him and the Elite. He should be starting to lose his mind with the belt collector gimmick coming to a close and Hangman should be on the ascendency with self-belief. Don can fuck over Kenny after his loss and Kenny can go get surgery. Redemption Kenny is my favourite Kenny. Bucks should never be faces again. Ever. They're fucking great as is. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3