DVDVR Message Board

Secret Santo in July

@moribundHere's the Megumi Kudo match. I had another match in mind as well, but Shark uses a sickle on Megumi's face and I dunno if you'd be okay with that type of stuff.

And tonight I'll go ahead and watch your match and @Curt McGirt's pick from last week, knock 'em both out at the same time.

• Like 1

Oh man, I got the Mors twice this go-round, huh? No, not the former rulers of Spain. 

I can't remember if I already did my review for this week, but I'll get to it this weekend. I'll also have something for you, @Morganti . Is there anything in particular you would like to see? It's possible that I'll have an idea for you depending on your preferences. 

56 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Oh man, I got the Mors twice this go-round, huh? No, not the former rulers of Spain. 

I can't remember if I already did my review for this week, but I'll get to it this weekend. I'll also have something for you, @Morganti . Is there anything in particular you would like to see? It's possible that I'll have an idea for you depending on your preferences. 

Your favorite match.  That's what i wanna see? seriously.  Gimme your favorite or a match you are really digging

On 8/3/2021 at 2:29 PM, Zimbra said:

Thanks!  I'm looking forward to this because I've seen next to no Kingston outside of AEW.

I did watch your earlier match and I swear I'll write something about it, I've just been crushed taking care of my wife after surgery and getting my dad moved.  Hopefully in the next couple of days.

I've got something light for you this week.  The WWF C-Shows haven't really been known for their hidden gems like the WCW ones were, but it turns out when you put Lawler, Terry Funk, and Dustin in a match together it's pretty good:

I did not know Kevin Kelly used to do commentary for WWE. Huh. I have never watched any Shotgun Saturday Night either. This is billed as Texas vs Tennessee. It's a lot of fun and super short. Crowd loves Terry. The Funk-Lawlor exchanges are great, I'm thankful this is 1998 and we don't get a "you still got it" chant. Everyone is on their game here and it's laid out to give everyone something to do.

11 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

@Spontaneous Murdoch v Windham 

This goes the distance and they make it feel earned. A very exhausting but well paced match for the prestigious Western States Heritage championship. I love Terry Taylor just shitting on some football star/champion at ring side. "Yeah, he needed 21 other guys to help him win it". I could hear JR's heart break into pieces. He gets his groove back hyping Dr Death's upcoming debut. I think I've really only seen Windham as a heel so it was interesting to see him as a face. I just watched Mid South for the first time last year during the pandemic with someone suggesting it through Secret Santo, I like the sports like feel to it. 

Thanks for the picks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I think I did watch MX vs. Southern Boys because of Natural's incessant pimping of it here actually, but I'm happy to watch again. 

This is a hell of a tag if you want a different one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Morganti said:

Your favorite match.  That's what i wanna see? seriously.  Gimme your favorite or a match you are really digging

Uh, I've been watching Nitro lately, and I very much dug this thing that I didn't remember from the last time that I watched through Nitro: 

I have a match from last week to do as well as this week's, and I'll get them done in the next couple of days.

Midnight Express vs. The Fantastics, 5/14/88

Aw this was just a blast. MX have the US Tag Titles and the Fantastics are hot on their trail. It's really cool how NWA/Crockett would allow long-ass matches like this to take up their shows when they weren't in-studio, and it had to feel so incredibly different from the other hot wrestling prospect in 1988. Anyway, for this one the spotlight is on Bobby Fulton and Stan Lane more than anything. We start out with big Fantastics shine as they work as fast as possible, with Tommy Rogers throwing like four dropkicks in a row, until the Midnights gradually slow them down. Lane gets to use his karate a lot and it looks pretty good, but the big control segments are them both cheating by crushing a Fantastic windpipe, first on the top rope and then on the rail with an assist from Bobby that makes Fulton curl up and spasm like he's stroking out. Bobby himself doesn't do as much and is more the glue man for this tag, even though he does get to hit his flying elbow, does a great Baba chop off the top, and takes a wicked posting that is some really beautiful close-up magic. There's also this hilarious bit of Fantastics tomfoolery where Fulton manages to shake the ropes and not only crotch Stan on the top but then whack him in the nuts a second time as he's trying to get in the ring and interfere, whereupon Fulton lays on top in the corner posing like a Playgirl centerfold. The end is choice, with a near ref stoppage because Stan is just clobbering Fulton with his karate capped by a sick flurry that collapses him in the corner, the Fantastics beg the ref to continue, and we get a banana peel pinfall. The Fabs run off with the belts with the crowd on their feet and the MX and especially Cornette apoplectic, while David Crockett is so surprised he goes mushmouthed. Oh, and of course Corny gets some licks in during this too, with a pair of racket shots that Tommy sells like a spinal injury and getting to paintbrush one of the boys as he's being choked on the ropes. Stellar tag though not as much Bobby as you/I might want. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2021 at 12:42 PM, Curt McGirt said:

@Matt DGive me Bobby Eaton matches. I know you're doing the thing over at Segunda but pick a pair. 

As far as yours, this amused me the other day so give it a watch. 

Hey, I'm caught up. First of all, I mean we have to take a moment to pause and reflect on the loss of Realhero. This was just out here for me to watch because of him.

Ok, I've seen maybe one Marufuji match in my life (vs Taue, maybe a tag with KENTA too), and am only familiar with MMA Sakuraba. This was interesting though I'm not sure I 100% bought where it went in the end. English announcing helped but this is viewed through a lens of mostly ignorance too. The way I read it is that Marufuji wanted to challenge himself so he tried to wrestle Sakuraba's match for the first half and just got completely eaten alive. It was a very giving performance by a champ (though slightly less so if you're going over). Sakuraba looked like an animal playing with his food, basically. Marufuji could do very little but try to contain him with headlocks. When he tried to wrestle more of his match with the cartwheels and strikes, he got shut down quickly and definitively. About midway through the match, Marufuji started trying strikes more and more and Saukraba, having established his unquestionable dominance so far, said "what the hell?" and basically stooped to Marufuji's level in order to evoke some sense of challenge or sensation from this experience. Thus the chop exchange and opening the door for Marufuji's dynamic striking. Marufuji got the win out of it eventually, but it didn't feel entirely satisfying to me. You came out of this with the sense that Sakuraba could have beaten him if he wanted to, that maybe Marufuji might have been able to hold his own if he came out wrestling his style, but that wasn't what he tried to prove or accomplish and that despite winning, he ultimately failed at what he set out to do. That doesn't make the match bad necessarily. It's an interesting story and could play into other interesting stories in the future, but I'm not entirely sure that it did or will. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone,

It's just about that time again. Trying to gauge interest. Shoot a reply here and let me know if you want in for Secret Santo for December. It probably will start next Saturday, but I'll make the thread mid-week to list the names I have and give people a second call. You know the deal. If you don't think you can check the board frequently and at least get a match for your partner, think twice, but otherwise, absolutely everyone is welcome: new posters, old posters, people who have never done it before, people who have done it every time.

• Like 1