DVDVR Message Board

July 2021 Wrestling Imagery.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from another Jesse's been messin' around.

I was probably barely 10 when they were in their heyday so I wouldn't know, but was REO Speedwagon the kind of hard partying band you'd namedrop for this kind of thing?  Like when I hear "Keep on Lovin' You," I don't think, "I bet these guys were wild on the road back in the day."  Then again, it's always the quiet ones you need to look out for.  I hear Air Supply left a trail of rich dealers and dead hookers coast to coast, for example.

I wonder if Jesse used names of bands who just played in the Twin Cities, like he saw the tour poster in the Civic Center lobby and took a mental note for promo day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Maybe!  At least we know he never partied with fellow Minnesotan Prince, because I never heard Jesse talk about basketball or pancakes.

One of my current holy grails of video footage are the localized WWF promos for this Minneapolis house show where Ventura took on Hogan for the WWF Title. Hogan had Mean Gene in his corner, while Ventura had Prince's legit bodyguard Big Chick Huntsberry (who was having a "15 minutes of fame" moment in pop culture circles) in his corner.

It's a fun little match actually. The previous month Hogan had lost by countout so this rematch had a stipulation where if Hogan got counted out, he would lose the championship, and they have fun working that stip. But I can just imagine how insufferable Ventura was in those local promos for the 2-3 weeks prior to this one!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

was REO Speedwagon the kind of hard partying band you'd namedrop for this kind of thing?  

Not sure they were known for partying to the extent that you'd be namedropping them instead of the Stones or whoever, but, yeah, they made a lot money in the late 70's and early 80's, had their own plane, and partied pretty hard.  Kevin Cronin, the lead singer, says that was partly what broke the band up.  For awhile, guys were able to keep their private stuff private, but, at some point, some of the guys were touring and playing concerts to get to the afterparty, instead of the other way around.  Cronin said in an interview that he had a moment of clarity somewhere around '83 when someone offered him a ball (?) of white powder the size of a cue ball and he said "No thanks, I've had enough" then realized that if he was turning it down, he really had had enough and was sort of tired watching the other guys not deal with their demons (his wording).  He became the band's responsible adult/killjoy after that.

For the record, I know way to much about REO Speedwagon because my wife is still a fan of several 70's/80's acts and we end reading biographies and specials on the bands, including going to concerts.  You're more likely to find me at a Steve Miller Band or Bruce Hornsby concert than a wrestling show these days,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I seem to recall according to the REO behind the music episode they could really tie one on.

Regarding that Maki gif. I really love much Japanese wrestling is based around nonverbal stuff, like the Naito/Yano G1 match from a couple of years ago Much preferable to the twenty minute raw opening diatribes 

Depends on the Japanese promotion. Like I don’t ever know what the fuck is going on in Dragon Gate, and that’s what stopped me from getting into it. Stardom would be in the same boat if they didn’t invest in hiring a fanboy translator for their stuff a few years back.

7 hours ago, Mister TV said:

I wonder if Jesse used names of bands who just played in the Twin Cities, like he saw the tour poster in the Civic Center lobby and took a mental note for promo day.

In the same promo, he drops Fleetwood Mac, Warren Zevon, and the Grateful Dead's name as well.

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It wasn’t obvious before, but once somebody on a podcast said that Hogan’s biggest influence as a babyface in the 80’s was Dusty I now cannot get that out of my head when watching old footage like that.

Yes, but he was more closely compared to Graham who was basically the Dusty of the north. Ventura was very similar as well. Hogan was a Florida guy, I think WWE wanted us to forget that. 

I really been enjoying alot of Austin's Broken Skull Sessions with alot of his peers because he gets to talk with people like Godfather and Foley and people like that about working in Memphis or even talk about the wrestling he grew up on. It's obviously hard not to look at Austin as a southern guy that grew up southern wrestling. It's just weird to hear him spewak so fondly of southern wrestling on a WWE platform 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I know the other two are great options but if it was one to party with it was DEFINITELY Warren back then

Although, the chance for "romance" with mid 70s Stevie Nicks would sway that choice.