Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

July 2021 Wrestling Discussion.


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Since Matt hasnt said him yet, Bockwinkel.

A couple more to add would be Rick Rude, and Mr. Perfect.

 

Rude had decent matches with Warrior. Some could argue some of Warrior's best work.  His work with Sting was great, his work with Steamboat was great, hell the Jake feud wasn't bad either.  

Mr. Perfect had excellent matches with Bret, Shawn, Warrior, and Hogan.  Almost a WWF version to Flair where he could make whoever he was in the ring with look better.

Dare I also add one of my favorite's as a kid and say Ted Dibiase.   Million Dollar Man could go. Was one of the great in ring WWF Heels, but his pre-WWF work is stuff of legend as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

That's fucking hilarious. Bragging about a match that was a fucking disaster: 

I'm not going to click through to the actual article, but are we certain he said it as a brag and not an apology?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

 

Rude had decent matches with Warrior. Some could argue some of Warrior's best work.  His work with Sting was great, his work with Steamboat was great, hell the Jake feud wasn't bad either.  

Mr. Perfect had excellent matches with Bret, Shawn, Warrior, and Hogan.  Almost a WWF version to Flair where he could make whoever he was in the ring with look better.

 

It might have been Austin on his Podcast that said he thought Ziggler took the art of selling way to far. Like he did way to much overselling that it sorta ruined his credibility. I  thought that was an interesting take from Austin especially since Austin especially his early years as a heel really was heavy into selling for his . opponent. When Ziggler started under that gimmick it felt like he wanted to impress  the agents and other people watch in charge with the Rude and Perfect like selling

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

It might have been Austin on his Podcast that said he thought Ziggler took the art of selling way to far. Like he did way to much overselling that it sorta ruined his credibility. I  thought that was an interesting take from Austin especially since Austin especially his early years as a heel really was heavy into selling for his . opponent. When Ziggler started under that gimmick it felt like he wanted to impress  the agents and other people watch in charge with the Rude and Perfect like selling

When I first saw Ziggler I was really stoked because he was basically Hennig in looks and selling. 

That's basically all he ever does though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And then a few years later Curt Hennig's actual son shows up in WWE and has nowhere to go, because his default ring style is taken (although I'm not sure he was actually physically up to working like that anyway). 

I still say he should have just gained 100 lbs and started wrestling like his Grandfather.

It's always interesting how much or how little Second Generation Wrestlers work like their parent(s). I think that whole Legacy era of WWE, a lot of those guys struggled to find themselves. Orton yes, Cody yes, Roman yes, and the Rotunda boys are one for two, but there's a lot of bland forgettableness as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even if Joe Hennig was a jobber, there is a gimmick right there for him as a guy who ISN'T perfect.

He can't throw the 50 yard TD.

He can't hit the 3 pointer, or the hole in one.

He's not getting a strike or a 7/10 split.

BUT he knows the secret of the Fisherman's Suplex and if he hits it, you are not kicking out.

Bam, instant jobber who can pull out the shock win with something other than a roll up or interference.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, AxB said:

 there's a lot of bland forgettableness as well.

Remember Manu? I doubt Manu remembers Manu being part of Legacy and…?

What an awful time to make it to ‘the big time’. So much bland and forgettable stuff through that period.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Custos said:

Remember Manu? I doubt Manu remembers Manu being part of Legacy and…?

What an awful time to make it to ‘the big time’. So much bland and forgettable stuff through that period.

Until I looked it up just now, I thought Manu and Sim Snuka were the same guy.  As @AxBsaid, SO MANY forgettable second generation guys.  Shit, Ted DiBiase apparently had THREE sons in wrestling and I'm just as shocked as you are.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

How many Von Erich kids have gotten into wrestling? What I saw of Marshal and Ross in MLW they were total white meat babyfaces, even when they were heels.

Fritz

Kevin, Kerry, David, Mike, Chris

Ross, Marshall (Kevin's kids), Lacey (Kerry's daughter)

There have been a couple fake Von Erichs over the years (Lance being the most notable one).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Custos said:

Remember Manu? I doubt Manu remembers Manu being part of Legacy and…?

What an awful time to make it to ‘the big time’. So much bland and forgettable stuff through that period.

I do remember Manu and Orton having a segment backstage that was just the two of them chest to chest heavy breathing at each other and it pains me so much it seems to vanished from the internet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It really shouldn’t be my take away from the story, however, I genuinely believed Michael Elgin was his shoot name.  
 

When I used to see him on TV I would always think “man if my name was Michael Elgin I would have made up a better working name”.

What an absolute creep.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WWE stuff:

Raw retro night is another possible special for Raw this year.

Goldberg may be coming back soon, keep in mind he has 1 match left this year,  then two more next year and two more in 2023.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Age is just a number...but when that number is 55, being the recognized World Champion of a fighting league, even where the fights are scripted, is comical.

And it wasn't exactly great when they put the title on him 5 years ago either.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...