DVDVR Message Board

July 2021 Wrestling Discussion.

29 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

"Attacked by pizza cutter?" That should be "Attacked with pizza cutter." What has the standard of copy editing come to?

Unless Gage has a side gig, well, cutting pizzas.

So he's a dug addicted bank robber and a drug addicted pizza cutter? 

He's a former Drug Addict and a one time Bank Robber, who served more than his full sentence, got clean, and stayed out of trouble.

He goes to Church and doesn't like to admit it (it's a personal thing to him; He's not an evangelical or anything. It's just going through addiction and getting out of it, a lot of people find religious belief helps with handling life after. Plus he's still grieving his brother).

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Basically - Jarrett's deal is non-exclusive so that allows him to take indie bookies (and do the podcast)

Presumably merch deals too, since he's signed exclusively to Zombie Sailor for toys.

So Natalya tweeted that she is having surgery due to her leg injury

She seemed to imply that she would be able to keep working.

That being said the WWE announced that they would provide more info about the injury (and by proxy what they are doing with tag titles) on RAW

3 hours ago, AxB said:

I've figured out why the AEW ring looks different. The actual mat surface is 20x 20  like WWE's rings, but the turnbuckles are longer and the ropes are shorter. So the inside of the ropes bit of the ring is smaller, and the aprons are bigger. So they can do moves onto the apron better, and that Blade to OC top turnbuckle powerbomb was safe.

I've been wondering that for a while. It looks bigger and smaller than a WWE ring at the same time, and your description explains why.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been putting my AEW mark gurf through the ringer on old CM Punk matches. Trying to cobble all the reasons why he's a big deal - vs. Cena, vs. Danielson, MITB, the Joe series, Hero, pipe bomb, Old Style in the shower, what have ya. Outside of the Joe vs. Necro Naylormania match I've been trying to remember which big IWA and RoH matches have Punk on commentary and hold up the best. He's the only guy I know stole a joke from me on WWE TV off of these boards so Season 3 NXT is off the table (also for a million better reasons). But I know there's some killer Punk/Prazak improv comedy routines sitting on top of a few Highspots Network classics.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

He's the only guy I know stole a joke from me on WWE TV off of these boards so Season 3 NXT is off the table 

Do you recall what the joke was? That was some prime “nobody’s watching so who gives a fuck” commentary IIRC. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

41 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I've been putting my AEW mark gurf through the ringer on old CM Punk matches. Trying to cobble all the reasons why he's a big deal - vs. Cena, vs. Danielson, MITB, the Joe series, Hero, pipe bomb, Old Style in the shower, what have ya. Outside of the Joe vs. Necro Naylormania match I've been trying to remember which big IWA and RoH matches have Punk on commentary and hold up the best. He's the only guy I know stole a joke from me on WWE TV off of these boards so Season 3 NXT is off the table (also for a million better reasons). But I know there's some killer Punk/Prazak improv comedy routines sitting on top of a few Highspots Network classics.

My favorite thing Punk's ever done was on ROH's Joe/Punk III DVD/tape. He and Gabe (as Lovey, or whatever alias he was using at the time), looked back at the first two matches while Punk (in character) explained his strategy. Pointed out a lot of "learned psychology" and actually set up plot points for the third match.

I don't know if that makes Punk look like a "big deal," but, um, I'd like to see more of it. WWE's endless series of rematches might actually be interesting if each match built from the previous one.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Dog said:

My favorite thing Punk's ever done was on ROH's Joe/Punk III DVD/tape. He and Gabe (as Lovey, or whatever alias he was using at the time), looked back at the first two matches while Punk (in character) explained his strategy. Pointed out a lot of "learned psychology" and actually set up plot points for the third match.

I don't know if that makes Punk look like a "big deal," but, um, I'd like to see more of it. WWE's endless series of rematches might actually be interesting if each match built from the previous one.

I don't think the WWE has done that since Bret Hart.

12 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Did Denzel's friend ever have a match with Nick Gage?

I don’t think so. They were on the same team on an early Cage of Death show in CZW (I want to say 5 or 6?), but that’s as close as it got. 

I’d be happy if someone followed along and told me I was wrong, though. 

It's really fucked up to see people in this industry - one that we all enjoy in some form - lose their job and some folks online have the nerve to say shit like, "I hope (insert promotion) doesn't sign them." Maybe take a second and reflect before posting that kind of shit. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

It's really fucked up to see people in this industry - one that we all enjoy in some form - lose their job and some folks online have the nerve to say shit like, "I hope (insert promotion) doesn't sign them." Maybe take a second and reflect before posting that kind of shit. 

Same vein as people running someone down who actually recovered from their dark period in life to continually label them a drug addict.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not really breaking news but supposedly Fightful has a story up confirming that Kurt Angle turned down offers from both AEW and Impact after his retirement match

AEW's offer would have been for a short run while Impact's was a one shot deal (I am guessing that would have been at Slammiversary)

Reportedly Angle said there was no way he could physically do the matches (at least to the standard in his mind)

Given how well AEW and WWE have been doing as of late, I don't think it's crazy for a company like AMC or Viacom to start looking at wrestling programing. Of course advertisers hate it, but you also need to show the cable providers that you have shows that people will subscribe to watch live.

On 7/26/2021 at 9:27 PM, D.Z said:

Good money is back

I've thought to myself that if the pandemic never happened would WWE have done those Big bulk of releases they've since then because they were snatching people off the indies before AEW got started running and the were snatching people from MLW as well.

Like at this point why don't they just down size the company back to a roster size before they Purchased WCW. It's another reason to not get behind anyone that's not at the top level like Roman or Edge behind guys that are just below those guys a getting let go. I actually like the brand split but if your cutting guys that where just main eventing or just recently title holders every week they why not just end it. These guys wasted money on Body Building companies, bodybuilding supplements, Football leagues and Movie divisions. Now when they are making more revenue then ever, they decide to make budget cuts.

How much valuable tv time most of us had to sit through because of Vince wanting to cross promote his other projects on his wrestling programming. How much attention some of those projects too away from Vince and his small creative before this modern era 

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Not really breaking news but supposedly Fightful has a story up confirming that Kurt Angle turned down offers from both AEW and Impact after his retirement match

AEW's offer would have been for a short run while Impact's was a one shot deal (I am guessing that would have been at Slammiversary)

Reportedly Angle said there was no way he could physically do the matches (at least to the standard in his mind)

Angle talked about his physical condition on his podcast recently.  Apparently his neck issues cause him a fair amount of pain on a daily basis and he has various neuro issues in his arms that stem from the neck (numbness, tingling, loss of movement, etc.).  He said he's needed the neck fusion surgery for 15 years or more but been putting it off to the point he probably can't put it off much longer.  He had "little" surgeries on his neck during his career but those were mostly geared towards getting him back in the ring asap.  Apparently his physical issues are fairly significant, so getting back in the ring would likely be a terrible idea.

I assume all this means we see him make a comeback next year.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1