DVDVR Message Board

July 2021 Wrestling Discussion.

9 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Braun in AEW would probably rule and what they see as their core audience working themselves into a shoot over him breathing their air would make for some exciting dynamics. So of course I expect him to go back to WWE and deprive us of that fun.

Looking at a company that employs Jake Hager, Jim Ross, and Chris "in 6 months they’ll probably be asking us for a job anyways and I’ll remember that (Shotzi)" Jericho (and soon, famously-chill dude CM Punk), I can't imagine Braun would be any more of a headache or source of potential acrimony. 

I think you're equating bad PR with bad locker room rep. Jericho is still helping out everybody he can, putting over young stars, probably booking a lot of Inner Circle stuff, working with Britt...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, christopher.annino said:

They popped for CHAVO. I wouldn't worry much about Braun's chances.

I mean, it was a Guerrero in Texas, if they didn't pop for that just shut the whole thing down at that point. But I will add both that 1) I see your point, and 2) That Chavo pop really did warm the hell out of my heart, he was a WCW favorite growing up and then knowing some of the losses he suffered, I thought it was a really great, really pure moment. The segment kinda dragged from there, but shit happens.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I think you're equating bad PR with bad locker room rep. 

I'm unaware of any significantly negative locker room rep. I count fifteen people on their roster who've shared a locker room with him though, so I'm sure any concerned parties on the inside will be able to make a fair assessment. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Vince did a hell of a job in that game with the BOOMSHAKALAKAs and the UNNNNBEEEELIEVABLEs and the YOU HAVE TO GIVE CREDIT TOs.

Like, he clearly was on an eight ball and an energy drink in that recording booth.

I was working from home while he was playing and I nearly spilled my drink on my work laptop laughing when I heard Vince shout, "BOOMSHAKALAKAAAA!" I'd forgotten all about that.

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I mean, it was a Guerrero in Texas, if they didn't pop for that just shut the whole thing down at that point. But I will add both that 1) I see your point, and 2) That Chavo pop really did warm the hell out of my heart, he was a WCW favorite growing up and then knowing some of the losses he suffered, I thought it was a really great, really pure moment. The segment kinda dragged from there, but shit happens.

Valid point about Texas, there, and yeah it was nice to see! I think AEW fans are genuinely more excited for the product than WWE fans and would at LEAST give a chance to anybody coming in. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I'm unaware of any significantly negative locker room rep. I count fifteen people on their roster who've shared a locker room with him though, so I'm sure any concerned parties on the inside will be able to make a fair assessment. 

I agree with the above and liken it to a Jake Hagar. Whether you see it as a bad PR rep or a bad locker room rep, he wasn't thought of very favorably by the AEW fan base. But he's been solid in AEW. Doesn't ruffle feathers. Actually appears to give a shit. There's a lot of ways to look at it. But maybe Braun shows up in the AEW locker room and his mind is blown at how hard everyone works and how humble they are and gets his "ah-Ha" moment about how WWE isn't the end-all-be-all he once thought.

Who knows? But it is fun to debate guys having legitimate options again. And while yes he'd be like 3rd, 4th, or 5th most important guy in this year... there's something to be said for momentum. Just a non-stop wave of cool moments and big names showing up and giving AEW the public image of the company where literally anything really can happen. That's a more valuable asset than any single talent they can sign (in my opinion).

• Like 5

The Braun talk got me going back to the first couple 2021 future endeavors threads, wondering whose no-competes are up and when. The second batch will have their 90 days up at the very beginning of September, and that includes Ruby Riott and Buddy Murphy. So, do you bring them in before Danielson? I could see Ruby debuting whenever without being too overshadowed due to being in the separate women's division, but how would you go about bringing in Murphy? 

Edited by christopher.annino

Per Mike Johnson:

Canyon Ceman, the Senior Vice President of Talent Development of WWE, was let go today by World Wrestling Entertainment, PWInsider.com has confirmed.

The departure comes several weeks after rumors Ceman had been let go, which turned out to be incorrect at the time.

Ceman joined WWE in 2012 after having served as the Chief Financial Officer of the Association of Volleyball Professionals until that organization shut down in 2010. 

He was initially hired as Senior Director of Talent Relations in March 2012 and in August 2015, was bumped up to Vice President of Talent Development.

Over his nine year tenure with the company, Ceman had been intricately involved in scouting, recruiting and evaluating potential talents for WWE's developmental system and overseeing WWE NXT.  

Like, for realsies this time. 

That clearly comes across as they were definitely firing him the last time but because people found out they did that "NO WE AREN'T! DIRT SHEETS ARE WRONG!!!" and paid him for another month just to be spiteful

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Not meaning to cross post too much from the sports board, but my goodness is the SEC using the 1980’s Vince McMahon playbook in college football right now or what? The parallels between the SEC killing the NCAA and Vince killing the NWA are crazy. Expand beyond your region by signing the best talent/teams in other territories to exclusive contracts, crown your own champion, sign exclusive TV deals … I wouldn’t be surprised if the next move will be to disallow those talent/teams to work for other promotions (play other major teams out of conference). 

Like, it’s all right there. In 10 years we are going to have Kansas State walking around with the NCAA football title like Nick Aldis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Browsing YouTube I just came across Roddy Piper on Monstervision for an airing of They Live. Nothing special or anything, just reminds me how much wrestlers used to keep Kayfabe in these humorous settings before the cat was completely out of the bag. Also sounds like he’s spewing Hogan level BS. Like he didn’t play the bagpipes at Wembley Stadium in front of Princess Diana, did he?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Browsing YouTube I just came across Roddy Piper on Monstervision for an airing of They Live. Nothing special or anything, just reminds me how much wrestlers used to keep Kayfabe in these humorous settings before the cat was completely out of the bag. Also sounds like he’s spewing Hogan level BS. Like he didn’t play the bagpipes at Wembley Stadium in front of Princess Diana, did he?

ha, i just watched that whole broadcast a few weeks ago. i forgot how long Piper's fight scene in They Live was. also, the second part of the double feature, Immortal Combat, is not good at all.

also timely because they're making a Roddy Piper They Live action figure (see the merch thread)

• Like 1

i think a  "Queen of the Ring" would just be another vehicle for Charlotte.  Either she wins over Asuka in the final or someone like Toni Storm wins but then Charlotte attacks her during the ceremony like Lawler..  because SHE'S THE REAL "QUEEN"..  and there can only be one etc.. etc..   Blah. 

• Like 1

Holy Buzz Sawyer! I have been engaging in a "discussion" on Twitter with Austin Aries as regards his feelings about vaccines. This leads me to a couple questions. How many vehemently anti-vax wrestlers are there? Are wrestlers required to submit proof of HIV or Hep C status prior to appearances? 

5 minutes ago, punkenhead said:

Holy Buzz Sawyer! I have been engaging in a "discussion" on Twitter with Austin Aries as regards his feelings about vaccines. This leads me to a couple questions. How many vehemently anti-vax wrestlers are there? Are wrestlers required to submit proof of HIV or Hep C status prior to appearances? 

Want to post the tweets??

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, punkenhead said:

This topic is probably not a good direction to go in unless the goal is "give our benevolent mods a massive headache".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sabremike said:

This topic is probably not a good direction to go in unless the goal is "give our benevolent mods a massive headache".

Not my goal...love the mods...really...except for that one really pretentious dude. I just wanted to know the answers to my questions and wanted to say that Austin Aries is a bit "out there", in my opinion. I will gladly mail fast acting BC powder to the mods if they would like.

1 hour ago, punkenhead said:

Low Ki & Austin Ares have been the only real vocal ones. And former NXT ref Drake too. Sahsa & Nia Jax have liked a lot of anti-vax adjacent posts but there's been no actual proof that they are anti-vaxers. Hopefully that answers your question, because this isn't a good road to go down. The mods do a good job of not letting this place turn into a political powder keg like just about ever other corner of the internet these days.

As for the HIV & Hep C, in WWE yes. It's part of the medical process of getting signed. Non contract talent (extras / dark match workers) are required to show a negative blood test to get into the database to be used. I would assume AEW has similar protocol but don't know that as fact. Anything else (in the US at least) is the wild wild west. No tests. The workers who do death matches are actually pretty good about self testing to keep each other safe, but it's not mandated or regulated by any promotions outside of the two big dogs.

• Like 1

I recently heard Drake Weurtz's name mentioned on a political podcast (with zero talk of WHO he is) so he's absolutely the zenith of wrestling anti-vax idiocy - but he's also full Q which other wrestlers don't seem to be.