DVDVR Message Board

July 2021 Wrestling Discussion.

21 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Maybe that's just Hero; more of a planner than a doer.

Dude, that's been the story of my life.  If I remember to organize the basement it might as well be a minor miracle.

I like Hero but unless he comes back and crushes it I think the ship has sailed for him.  It may also depend on his priorities in life as that might have changed for him too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

We may be getting Queen of the Ring...

...where the poor woman that wins it is immediately shifted to a sugar mama for Baron Corbin so he can go back to living the high life.

Fixed that for ya pal. Now it's good shit. lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Fixed that for ya pal. Now it's good shit. lol

TBH it's a perfect gimmick for Eva Marie or Carmella...

That said, I wouldn't want the first QotR winner to be a joke/gimmick.

Use it to rehab Shayna ??

It'll be a joke, just like the first women's MITB featured James Ellsworth helping Carmella win, like Kid Rock getting 15 minutes so the divas could enter to his awful music, and the 2nd (or 3rd?) women's rumble had Santina enter it. Expecting dignity from Vince booking the women is to ask for the impossible. 

Edited by Spontaneous
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

The Hero- Kingston beef definitely started with Marciano. Claudio and Hero are like brothers so it's natural that he would have Hero's back.

I remember Hero saying that his whole life is wrestling and questioned Kingston's commitment. This was back in 04 or 05.  

My wife used to enjoy wrestling. Not a huge fan but would watch it with me, knew enough of it to know who was who.  I took her to a show that had AJ vs Punk, Southern Comfort vs Midnight Express,  Sabin vs SJK, just a stacked card. Our own @Gormanwas on commentary I believe.  Well long story short Kingston fell outside the ring and landed by my wife's feet. She backed up and he said "you should stay in the kitchen"  no big deal.  Well a few mins later he spat and it hit her.  She was furious. To this day she refuses to go to a show.  Fucking killed wrestling for her. 

Hero on the other hand is a different breed. I'd venture many of us spent time chatting with Chris back in the AOL messenger days. He was always polite and if he saw you at shows he always had time for pics or to chat. He could come off as a dick at times but all humans can. I was a huge fan of his early IWA-MS work and always wanted to see him get a good WWE or NJPW run. He and Claudio could have easily won tag league and been huge together in NJPW. WWE not bringing up Hero and tagging Shemus with him instead will always be a head scratcher to me. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

WWE not bringing up Hero and tagging Shemus with him instead will always be a head scratcher to me. 

Same. As a complete outsider to the situation, my absolutely baseless speculation is that they hated his body, and he resented being stuck with that player-coach tag. Somewhere in the multiverse, they listen to Punk and bring him up in The Shield instead of Roman - one can only imagine what that would have made the landscape look like. That's an all-time near miss

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 11:30 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It’s typical WWE booking. They realize this guy sucks, so they course correct the booking by calling him up, then jobbing him out to repackage him, or do nothing with him till he’s released. That’s all it is. Keith Lee is the same way, but all that stuff leaked out about him, so I’m guessing he leaked it, or somebody close to him did. So I’m thinking it’s more of a punishment, than a course correction. Not that Keith Lee sucks, or anything.

What was leaked about Keith Lee?

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

What was leaked about Keith Lee?

A year ago it was reported they wanted to send him back to development to re-train him. It was very similar to the story about Kevin Owens criticism by Bill DeMont when he was in the performance center. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

My 4 year old is playing WWF Wrestlemania on my retro gaming emulator and it's funny to hear him emulating Vince McMahon's calls while he plays. I think I've heard him shout, "You gotta give credit to Doink the Clown!" a dozen times this morning.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

My wife used to enjoy wrestling. Not a huge fan but would watch it with me, knew enough of it to know who was who.  I took her to a show that had AJ vs Punk, Southern Comfort vs Midnight Express,  Sabin vs SJK, just a stacked card. Our own @Gormanwas on commentary I believe.  Well long story short Kingston fell outside the ring and landed by my wife's feet. She backed up and he said "you should stay in the kitchen"  no big deal.  Well a few mins later he spat and it hit her.  She was furious. To this day she refuses to go to a show.  Fucking killed wrestling for her. 

I'm of the opinion that killing someone after being spat upon is 100% justified, so I can't blame her for never watching wrestling again.  It's one of the most disgusting, disrespectful actions I can think of, and I may very well have started a riot if someone spit on my significant other.  I'm generally not an angry person, but spitting is where I draw the line.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Watching an old episode of World Championship Wrestling, did you know that there was a Schlitz Malt Liquor Great American Bash at the Omni?

I remember one year the Bash in Baltimore was sponsored by Schaefer and Schaefer Light. 

God damn, some old NWA wrestling and some malt liquor sounds like a fine way to pass the time, IMO.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

My 4 year old is playing WWF Wrestlemania on my retro gaming emulator and it's funny to hear him emulating Vince McMahon's calls while he plays. I think I've heard him shout, "You gotta give credit to Doink the Clown!" a dozen times this morning.

“You gotta give credit to THE BAD GUY RAZOR RAMON!”

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

For the context about the Queen of the Ring story

WWE is planning to hold a Queen of the Ring tournament this year, Wrestling Inc. has learned.

The tentative plan is for the event to be a main roster show airing on Peacock. It’s not known when the event will take place.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2021/07/wwe-planning-to-hold-queen-of-the-ring-tournament-this-year/

The rest of the article is requoting HHH from June shitting on having all women's shows

Take everything with as much salt as you feel appropriate

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

For the context about the Queen of the Ring story

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2021/07/wwe-planning-to-hold-queen-of-the-ring-tournament-this-year/

The rest of the article is requoting HHH from June shitting on having all women's shows

Take everything with as much salt as you feel appropriate

I'd much rather have another Mae Young Classic.  

• Like 2

Meltzer dropped one line in the new WON saying the WWE is interested in bringing Braun Strowman back, especially in light of the recent AEW signings

Going back to WWE (presumably for less money) seems like a better fit for Stroman than the indies or overseas, but I'd still be curious to see what developed for him outside of WWE.  To me, he feels like a guy like Enzo or Ryback, who has interests outside of wrestling and maybe is more interested in being a WWE superstar and making WWE money than  in wrestling in whatever small feds will book them (which is probably why you rarely hear from some guys after WWE releases them).  IRRC, Braun is 100 percent a product of the WWE system.  I don't think he had any experience before WWE signed him (they found him through strongman contests).

A while back, Meltzer threw out that Vince should fire everyone except the big names and can't-miss prospects, then wait a year and see where guys go and how they develop.  Meltz's theory is that the guys who really want to wrestle and/or get back to the WWE will try to improve and keep working and will become regulars in Japan and on the indies, while the people who just want to be WWE stars or make WWE money won't work the indies or overseas and basically will move on to something else.  Dave thought the guys that became working wrestlers were the guys worth bringing back and the other guys were probably just in it for WWE money and wouldn't be worth the long-term investment anyways.  

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Vince did a hell of a job in that game with the BOOMSHAKALAKAs and the UNNNNBEEEELIEVABLEs and the YOU HAVE TO GIVE CREDIT TOs.

Like, he clearly was on an eight ball and an energy drink in that recording booth.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Eoae said:

A while back, Meltzer threw out that Vince should fire everyone except the big names and can't-miss prospects, then wait a year and see where guys go and how they develop.  Meltz's theory is that the guys who really want to wrestle and/or get back to the WWE will try to improve and keep working and will become regulars in Japan and on the indies, while the people who just want to be WWE stars or make WWE money won't work the indies or overseas and basically will move on to something else.  Dave thought the guys that became working wrestlers were the guys worth bringing back and the other guys were probably just in it for WWE money and wouldn't be worth the long-term investment anyways.  

i understand where he's coming from, but i feel like that's a false equivalence. 

WWE can make plenty of money off of performers, whether they "improve their game" or not. Dave's just too deep in the wrestling bubble.

• Like 1