DVDVR Message Board

July 2021 Wrestling Discussion.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Not that it really matters but Meltzer did say that the reason the Atlanta SDL was cancelled (since moved to Knoxville as DZ mentioned) was because only 1700 tickets had sold)

Didn't tickets go on sale for ATL the day before they canceled the show? Or did I misread something?

11 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Didn't tickets go on sale for ATL the day before they canceled the show? Or did I misread something?

I wasn’t following but heard there was a Thursday presale, and then Friday when the tickets would have go on sale the venue made a post saying the show was cancelled. Not sure it’s automatically because of low ticket sales, but I might not know the whole story. 

23 hours ago, Casey said:

I don't know if I agree with they've gotten fans excited about the product. I think it's more that fans are just hot for anything right now. Plus they piped in crowd noise on Smackdown, and there's reports online already that they're doing the same in the arena at Money in the Bank right now. I think they miss the Thunderdome and not having the fans shit all over their plans for storylines or characters.

It's WWE so it would be stupid of me to ask why considering Vince and Kevin Dunns logic but wouldn't you think the crowd would be hot enough for their first hot TV taping. I spent the first hour and a half of MitB playing Broken Scull Podcast with Nash in another tab while watching MitB on mute. Coming out of the PPV it felt like the night Punk did the Pipebomb promo when everyone was talking about it and excited where it could go.

WWEs attendance and Viewership was declining massively before the pandemic even happened. It's good to see a level of genuine excitement among wrestling fans.

On 7/18/2021 at 9:22 AM, Gordberg said:

Plus, that insanely great live crowd at the Texas Dynamite... hopefully that portends a lot of white hot sold out crowds in pro wrestling's near future. People who have been starved for live entertainment and are just wildly delighted to finally be getting their fill...

It really feels like right now is a very good time to be a pro wrestling fan, and things are absolutely poised to get even better.

I've been on a two-week road trip which actually culminated with the Slammiversary PPV(and the tapings the following day) so I'm still trying to catch up with what I've missed on this board since then but I will say that that Slammiversary crowd was one of the best crowds I've ever been a part of, big promotion or small. I hope it came off well on the PPV. 

• Like 4

@ziggy quad posting

On the crowd audio thing, I think they might be testing piping in fake crowd noise for matches that they know the fans will be dead for.

Should we care? I don’t for the WWE because I’m not watching, but I’ll tell you I’m not a fan personally. I understand it when you do it for a show in ‘92 that was taped in addition to 6 hours of taped enhancement talent matches. Because let’s be honest, after 2 hours I can understand when a fan loses interest fast. I can’t understand it for something like this though. If something bombs live, just let it bomb, and don’t bother saving it. That’s part of the wrestling experience. To take that away is sad. A.I. celebrity voices, deep fakes, fake crowd noise, and because I listened to a NPR subject on this, soon our loved ones voices will end up being used by scammers to trick us into sending money to them. The world is getting more, and more artificial. I just wish this stuff was more controlled with laws put into place. But no party seems to give a shit.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

24 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

When did the piped in crowd noise gimmick start? Goldberg's initial WCW run?

Goldberg is definitely the first documented one. I can’t really think of anything else other than the already mentioned crowd sweetening done for taped shows.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

So for all the positive feedback coming out of MITB Raw just killed it all.  My timeline was littered with Raw hate. I'd venture to say 90% of the fanbase thought Becky would close out the show with a stare down with Charlotte. Nope. The ending was just weird.

How many weeks until Karrion Kross becomes "Kross"   maybe that's why Nikki Cross had the name change.

Vince must have saw Jeff Hardy trending Sunday and figured the fans wanted to see him pushed. Only way to explain his win.  

Keith Lee coming back in his home state to lose a non title match is pure WWE.  

Think about this guys and gals, WWE is promoting their biggest summer show on a 60+ yr old man and a less than part timer.  This is what happens when you refuse to make new stars. 

How jealous must Pritchard and Dunn be of HHH. They kill everything he creates.  Kross, Lee, half of the women, Andrade, Black, they split American Alpha prior to the injury. it's the reverse Rumplestiltzkin effect. Everything HHH turns to gold they turn to shit. 

How do you end Summerslam to send the crowd home happy? Cena isn't beating Roman,  Goldberg winning would be a huge mistake unless Big E cashes in on him which is really the only viable option that would make sense.  I can't possibly see the women main eventing a show that has Cena-Reigns on the card. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yep.  The three main matches of Summerslam feature three regulars vs two non-wrestlers who go back to their normal lives after the show and one part timer who was hot a decade or two ago, depending on how generous you're being.  Nobody is a draw because Vince was tired of building draws only to have them leave, so when he needs someone to draw, he has to rely on those guys that were actually built up back in the day.  What a sad, laughable mess this wresting company provider of streaming content is.  Glad I stopped watching them five+ years ago and get all my schadenfreude second hand through podcasts and reading posts here.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

I don’t think WWE crowds will mind Goldberg winning the title as a closer to SummerSlam in the least bit. They’ll probably eat it up.

And if they don’t, they’ve already shown they aren’t scared to pipe in crowd noise to get the reaction they want.

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don’t think WWE crowds will mind Goldberg winning the title as a closer to SummerSlam in the least bit. They’ll probably eat it up.

And if they don’t, they’ve already shown they aren’t scared to pipe in crowd noise to get the reaction they want.

When enough people notice that’s when they’ll stop.

Too bad Big E cashing in and challenging Lashley after he's crushed his friends wasn't the match. When they want to they can make a guy in a night. Let's not forget Philly popping for Roman beating Sheamus and Vince on Raw not even a year removed from booing him out of the arena at the Rumble.

I'd rather see Lashley win and then the next night have Big E come out and challenge Lashley for the title at the next PPV or at Survivor Series (lol long term booking).

This is your regular reminder that Vince dislikes a) fat guys and b) guys who got over elsewhere purely due to booking.  Keith Lee is an awesome big man worker who does cool shit?  Well cover up that disgusting adipose tissue, cut his offense down about 95%, and job him out.  Karrion Kross, I don't really like but can't deny that he at least had something, got everything that got him over taken away and was likewise jobbed out.  WWE is my favorite slow motion car wreck.

If 2021 Vince was running 1983 WWF, he'd be jobbing that Hogan kid on the syndicated shows to test him.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Karrion Kross, I don't really like but can't deny that he at least had something, got everything that got him over taken away and was likewise jobbed out.  WWE is my favorite slow motion car wreck.

Except he didn't. Fans have been wondering for a year now why the hell he was in his position. Kross getting bitched out is embarrassing for NXT, but is also partially HHH's fault at this point seeing that most of NXT's fans actually don't give a shit about Kross. He never should have been champ, let alone been unbeaten. HHH had more than enough time to take the belt off of him, but didn't for fuck knows what reason.

• Sad 1

It’s typical WWE booking. They realize this guy sucks, so they course correct the booking by calling him up, then jobbing him out to repackage him, or do nothing with him till he’s released. That’s all it is. Keith Lee is the same way, but all that stuff leaked out about him, so I’m guessing he leaked it, or somebody close to him did. So I’m thinking it’s more of a punishment, than a course correction. Not that Keith Lee sucks, or anything.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

HHH thought Vince and Dunn would love Karrion Kross because he looked at Kross, and he thought, well, this guy has:

• Really short hair
  • Intensity!
  • crappy tattoos
  • boring promos
  • really boring matches
  • Intensity!

And thought he was the new Randy Orton.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

They'll repackage Kross by putting him under a creepy mask and call him Molon Labe.

And then to steal an idea from another person, he'll be summoned by Alexa or something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

This is your regular reminder that Vince dislikes a) fat guys and b) guys who got over elsewhere purely due to booking.  Keith Lee is an awesome big man worker who does cool shit?  Well cover up that disgusting adipose tissue, cut his offense down about 95%, and job him out.  Karrion Kross, I don't really like but can't deny that he at least had something, got everything that got him over taken away and was likewise jobbed out.  WWE is my favorite slow motion car wreck.

If 2021 Vince was running 1983 WWF, he'd be jobbing that Hogan kid on the syndicated shows to test him.

As someone that started a 1984 WWF watch project recently beginning with that first Wrestling at the Chase taping that everyone debuts at, the fact that there was literally THREE WEEKS of syndicated television where Hogan goes from his return to the WWF (after is heel run there ended three years prior) being in Backlund's corner for a singles match, and being in a tag team with him a week later, and then one more week of television passing before he beats the Iron Sheik for the Championship - all while the local NY promos still promote a Backlund vs Iron Sheik rematch during the first week and then Hogan being named the replacement due to Backlund's injury on Week 2 local promos - was some serious whiplash that I can't possibly fathom in today's WWE for any wrestlers debuting without that Goldberg-style legacy run prior.

Hell, even AJ Styles had to lose at Wrestlemania to Jericho before being inserted into a PPV Championship Opportunity a full three months after his debut at the Royal Rumble.

• Like 2

The closest guy that got the “Big Push” in recent times was Okada. He sort of came back as a unproven rookie with weird pants, but he disappeared quickly, then returned later as the Rainmaker, and that was it. Lost the belt back to Tana, but it wasn’t long till he was given the top spot again. But those months between Wrestle Kingdom, and New Beginning were probably the most stressful time for the people controlling the promotion. They had to get him back in the dojo, put him on a new diet, and make sure Tana & him had one of the best matches ever.

I have a feeling when things clear up in Japan it’ll be Shota getting that push. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

Except he didn't. Fans have been wondering for a year now why the hell he was in his position. Kross getting bitched out is embarrassing for NXT, but is also partially HHH's fault at this point seeing that most of NXT's fans actually don't give a shit about Kross. He never should have been champ, let alone been unbeaten. HHH had more than enough time to take the belt off of him, but didn't for fuck knows what reason.

I second this. I stopped following NXT a few years ago... I think at some point last year i tried to watch an episode and saw Karrion I Kross with Scarlet... And thought it was just the dumbest thing and so not what made NXT the hot brand from 2015-2018. 

Can only imagine who they are planning on giving this one too.   I look forward to the shirt tied to it on the back that says "If you can't say anything nice don't saying  anything at all"

Because of this, AEW is going to trademark a similar thing saying "Shut the fuck up or we will block you on social media"

Edited by hammerva
  • Haha 6