DVDVR Message Board

July 2021 Wrestling Discussion.

33 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You can still go through the checkout, and buy the tickets for MSG. I’m not sure how strict the proof of vaccination is, but apparently you have 14 days prior to the show to prove it. 

I didn’t realize at first but this will be a kidless show. No entry without proof of vaccination means no kids under 12. When was the last wwe show with zero children?

• Like 1

Regarding Ernest Miller, I wasn't a fan at the time, but I've come around on him.  Dude wasn't a great pro wrestler but he was an outstanding athlete, his finisher was over (and well-protected), and he had a lot of physical charisma and could talk.  I've become much less "wrasslin' is serious bizness" as I've gotten older and things I didn't like at the time have aged well for me.  Late 80's/early 90's WWF is my favorite period of the 'E because of the over-the-top gimmicks and roster of aliens, cadavers, coked-up superheroes, and wrestling CPA's.  I've also developed a fondness for WCW wrestlecrap like the Black Scorpion, Ric Steiner feuding with Chuckie, and Ric Flair's mental breakdown.

Didn't think Ray Lloyd was the right guy to do the Glacier gimmick.  He has a legit martial arts breakdown but he got into wrestling after giving up competitive marital arts to play football in college and was built like your typical corn-fed WCW enhancement wrestler.  Never thought he had much charisma or promo skills.  He was late 90's Karrion Kross.  His entrance and video package got your attention and built up the mystique,  Then he came to the ring and the mystery evaporated like someone popped the balloon.

Blood Runs Cold would likely have been doa regardless.  Bischoff was the one pushing for the gimmick and he lost interest by the time it made it to TV thanks to the nWo;s success.      

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I didn’t realize at first but this will be a kidless show. No entry without proof of vaccination means no kids under 12. When was the last wwe show with zero children?

Probably never… If they weren’t in the crowd, then they were hired to wipe down the ropes.

I couldn't go to MSG before I turned 14 (1974). I saw a few shows in various armories and high schools in NJ before that. My first show was at the Elizabeth Armory and a lady was arrested for throwing a chair off of the balcony at Professor Tanaka, who was beating on Pedro.

I went to one of the Knicks playoff games and the checking for vaccine documentation was weak. I held mine up and was waved through without it being checked.

• Like 3

I feel like WWE has done a good in the past week or so getting fans excited about their product. When they were moving to Fox I don't think they did good at all getting people excited about the switch. They just a announced a bunch of legends and the Rock and a few celebrities. Of course they announced a draft to a trade or whatever. Even up to to that point they had already used roster shake-ups as a tool freshen things up unsuccessfully. I heard rumors of people like Cena,Goldberg and Even Rock coming in to work, I think it would obviously be good especially given the right person to work with but the Legends involvement it too much of a crutch

I don't know if I agree with they've gotten fans excited about the product. I think it's more that fans are just hot for anything right now. Plus they piped in crowd noise on Smackdown, and there's reports online already that they're doing the same in the arena at Money in the Bank right now. I think they miss the Thunderdome and not having the fans shit all over their plans for storylines or characters.

1 hour ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Had a flash of Fink doing a tiktok dance, disturbing

I'm picturing Vince in baggy shorts and a Lakers jersey trying to pretend he fits in.

Of course, the company should be able to hire people in the right demographic that can figure out how to tailor the shows to young people.  But they should also be able to hire writers who can write segments that are compelling and comedy that's actually funny, and we've all seen how well that's turned out,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, matt925 said:

Children under 16 are still allowed to attend. They just need a negative test

From MSG's website

Children under the age of 16 are eligible to attend both types of events, and may provide proof of a negative antigen or PCR COVID-19 test, or full vaccination.

(When they say "both types of events" - some events will be "fully vaccinated", some events will have separate seating sections)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

I'm picturing Vince in baggy shorts and a Lakers jersey trying to pretend he fits in.

Of course, the company should be able to hire people in the right demographic that can figure out how to tailor the shows to young people.  But they should also be able to hire writers who can write segments that are compelling and comedy that's actually funny, and we've all seen how well that's turned out,

If this culminates in Vince bringing back his doo rag, I'm in.

wq2cktl7sbp01.jpg

• Haha 2

If Vince has got 1 more match left in him then winning the NEW WWE 3 MAN TAG TEAM TITLES with Riddle & RVD seems fine.

Those guys are hip.

They are with it.

They will have whacky adventures like those kids who lost their car & then hooked up with sexy space chicks.

That's good shit pal!!

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2021 at 11:58 AM, RIPPA said:

No reason was given

Most likely it is was hideous tickets sales but who knows

Not that it really matters but Meltzer did say that the reason the Atlanta SDL was cancelled (since moved to Knoxville as DZ mentioned) was because only 1700 tickets had sold)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am here for considering 1997 as being "semi-recent"

i still has hair in 1997 (I think).  So, yeah, any excuse to tell people I had hair until coughcoughsemicough-recently works fo me.