DVDVR Message Board

July 2021 Wrestling Discussion.

11 hours ago, zendragon said:

Sometimes I think about my super-short list of guys who where great in every category ; in ring, promo, character/gimmick/look , charisma/audience connection. It's Eddie, Foley, Flair, Savage, Austin, Rock,  probably Terry should be on their as well as well as Dusty 

Foley and Rock were not great in the ring. They knew how to work a crowd- and Foley would do anything it took to keep a crowd- but in terms of actually wrestling both were very average. Hell I'd rate Michael PS Hayes over both for in ring... And he'd hold his own with these guys in all the other categories. 

Ehhhhhh… I don’t know about that. I’ve seen more great Rock, and Foley singles matches, than I’ve seen Hayes singles matches. The best Hayes singles match is probably the Luger match. Though I love it, I’d still take Mankind Vs. HBK, and The Rock Vs. Austin I & II over it.

• Like 2

I found this funny.   He is trying to take credit for a match so bad that almost everyone in the match thought it sucked.    

Starting to think that Tommy End is like the Living Color character who was in jail who thinks he is extremely smart but says the words completely wrong

• Haha 4

Kelsey Heather wrestled on AEW Elevation last night, and also appeared on RAW as MVPs window dressing:

E6K8gexWEAQosFd?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zendragon said:

Sometimes I think about my super-short list of guys who where great in every category ; in ring, promo, character/gimmick/look , charisma/audience connection. It's Eddie, Foley, Flair, Savage, Austin, Rock,  probably Terry should be on their as well as well as Dusty 

Lawler

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I found this funny.   He is trying to take credit for a match so bad that almost everyone in the match thought it sucked.    

Starting to think that Tommy End is like the Living Color character who was in jail who thinks he is extremely smart but says the words completely wrong

That's fucking hilarious. Bragging about a match that was a fucking disaster: The build to Shawn Michaels undoing his perfect retirement ***** match at WrestleMania XXVI vs. The Undertaker.  The Crown Jewel 2018 itself with Triple H tearing his pectorial muscle at the start, Kane's mask falling off and Undertaker/Kane not catching Shawn Michaels moonsault to the outside.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, zendragon said:

2 minutes ago, bazzil said:

Lawler

I'd add Daniel Bryan. Greatest of All Time. Can talk, faultless in the ring, incredible infact, the support behind Bryan forcing Vince McMahon to change WrestleMania XXX, a beloved babyface who was able to get the fanbase to boo him as The New Daniel Bryan.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I'd add Daniel Bryan. Greatest of All Time. Can talk, faultless in the ring, incredible infact, the support behind Bryan forcing Vince McMahon to change WrestleMania XXX, a beloved babyface who was able to get the fanbase to boo him as The New Daniel Bryan.

Bryan is a great choice.  He's very similar to Eddie to me.  Started out as "just" a great worker, not really known for showing all that much personality.  Then they both gradually show that they can be VERY compelling characters as either a face or a heel, while still being all-time-great wrestlers.  Both also were able to adapt to any style or situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Trying to think of a '90s analogue to this. Scott Putski being in the WWF LHW tourney while on WCWSN every week?

Wasn’t Scott Hall employed by both the WWF as Razor, and WCW as the Diamond Studd while the Razor vignettes aired?

• Like 1

WCW had a habit of taping Worldwide months in advance, and got caught out a few times. Largely because they wouldn't bother to edit guys who'd left (or been fired) off the show. Like when they were building to Lethal Lottery and Tony asked Jesse who he thought would win. And Ventura says "Well, I don't think it will be Sid Vicious, and I don't think it will be Arn Anderson". Tony said "Arn is tough though" and that was the end of it. But then mysteriously neither of them even worked the show, and Sid just sort of evaporated off telly altogether.

Scorpio Sky was doing X Division matches in TNA while (or right after) having anger management in WWE.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Wasn’t Scott Hall employed by both the WWF as Razor, and WCW as the Diamond Studd while the Razor vignettes aired?

It's possible. He was involved in the Dangerous Alliance vs. Sting's Squadron storyline interfering on behalf of the DA in matches. Then he just disappeared and didn't show up for WrestleWar. They probably taped one or two matches before he left that aired in syndication. It wasn't until the Bischoff era they started taping several weeks out.

In ye olden days, it was not uncommon for someone to go to a new territory and film TV matches ahead of their actual start date, so they would have exposure to people before they started working house shows. I believe Valemtine going from jcp to wwf and the MX going to Mid South from Memphis are 2 examples.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

From what I can tell from some very quick research, no.  It looks like The Diamond Studd's last WCW match was taped on May 1 and aired May 8.  His first WWF appearance was May 18 in a dark match.  The first Razor Ramon vignette aired on TV in early June.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Foley and Rock were not great in the ring. They knew how to work a crowd- and Foley would do anything it took to keep a crowd- but in terms of actually wrestling both were very average. Hell I'd rate Michael PS Hayes over both for in ring... And he'd hold his own with these guys in all the other categories. 

Foley had classic matches against Funk, Vader, Sting, HBK, Austin, Rock, HHH, Taker, and Orton don't know how anyone can say he wasn't great in ring. And I feel every big Rock match delivered

7 hours ago, bazzil said:

Lawler

Haven't seen a ton of Lawler outside of WWF but good shout. Clearly a wrestling genius 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

From what I can tell from some very quick research, no.  It looks like The Diamond Studd's last WCW match was taped on May 1 and aired May 8.  His first WWF appearance was May 18 in a dark match.  The first Razor Ramon vignette aired on TV in early June.

He interferes in the Rhodes/Eaton match on Worldwide on 5/16 (taped a month earlier).

That match from the 5/1 taping aired 5/30 on Worldwide.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

That's fucking hilarious. Bragging about a match that was a fucking disaster: The build to Shawn Michaels undoing his perfect retirement ***** match at WrestleMania XXVI vs. The Undertaker.  The Crown Jewel 2018 itself with Triple H tearing his pectorial muscle at the start, Kane's mask falling off and Undertaker/Kane not catching Shawn Michaels moonsault to the outside.

Admittedly, none of what you me Tim has anything to do with how the match was planned out.  BlackEnd may have planned out a right banger of a match, but those 4 didn't have what the match needed.

Just a thought, not meant to piss on your statement at all. ? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Since Matt hasnt said him yet, Bockwinkel.

A couple more to add would be Rick Rude, and Mr. Perfect.

Rude had decent matches with Warrior. Some could argue some of Warrior's best work.  His work with Sting was great, his work with Steamboat was great, hell the Jake feud wasn't bad either.  

Mr. Perfect had excellent matches with Bret, Shawn, Warrior, and Hogan.  Almost a WWF version to Flair where he could make whoever he was in the ring with look better.

Dare I also add one of my favorite's as a kid and say Ted Dibiase.   Million Dollar Man could go. Was one of the great in ring WWF Heels, but his pre-WWF work is stuff of legend as well. 

• Like 1