DVDVR Message Board

July 2021 Wrestling Discussion.

The Milano/Milanito and Striker stories are correct. 

On the other side of this it does remind when the Japanese press originally thought they were trying to sign Nakamura years ago and it turned out it as actually Minoru Tanaka who they were looking at.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For some reason I think they also signed the wrong Matt Striker

It could have been worse.  They could have gotten it right and signed Matt Stryker.  Neither guy seemed to have what the WWE was looking for back then.

Edited by Eoae

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For some reason I think they also signed the wrong Matt Striker

That’s cold, man.

For like maybe six months out of his tenure, Matt Striker was good at his job, until he flew too close to the sun. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

55 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That’s cold, man.

For like maybe six months out of tenure, Matt Striker was good at his job, until he flew too close to the sun. 

"I'm marking out, bro!!!"

• Haha 2

I'm pretty sure they signed the Matt Striker they intended to sign.

Striker was a school teacher at the time and made some national news headlines, because he called in sick to his school to drive to some Indy show he was booked for. WWE being all like "all publicity is good publicity" decided to sign him, because of that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Z said:

I'm pretty sure they signed the Matt Striker they intended to sign.

Striker was a school teacher at the time and made some national news headlines, because he called in sick to his school to drive to some Indy show he was booked for. WWE being all like "all publicity is good publicity" decided to sign him, because of that.

I might be misremembering it, but I thought it was to go to Japan to wrestle for Zero-1

Edited by Sammo~!
  • Like 1

In taking a break from working on my bathroom and decide to kill some minutes looking at Reddit. Someone in wreddit posted the video of Larry Sweeney dancing to jive soul bro and now I'm fucking bummed and got teary eyed. When I think of wrestling folks who left this world way too young, Larry is near the top of that list. 

• Like 4

Random thought here, but I've been watching a ton of Terry Funk lately given his recent news and I'm more convinced than ever that he's the most talented pro wrestler who ever lived. He could do absolutely anything at a level that I think only Eddie Guerrero can rival historically. MOTDC's across multiple decades in a variety of styles, in a variety of roles, against a variety of opponents at various levels of the card, all while drawing money. 

It's always hard to say "best", but I'm going to say he's the most talented. Dude can truly do anything at an elite level and make whoever he's working for money while doing it.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Random thought here, but I've been watching a ton of Terry Funk lately given his recent news and I'm more convinced than ever that he's the most talented pro wrestler who ever lived. He could do absolutely anything at a level that I think only Eddie Guerrero can rival historically. MOTDC's across multiple decades in a variety of styles, in a variety of roles, against a variety of opponents at various levels of the card, all while drawing money. 

It's always hard to say "best", but I'm going to say he's the most talented. Dude can truly do anything at an elite level and make whoever he's working for money while doing it.

I think there’s a pretty short list of people who were successful in every role they attempted in wrestling. Funk and Eddie are two of them. I’d add Heenan and Lawler (I don’t care for Lawler as an announcer, but he’s definitely been successful in that role).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Log said:

I think there’s a pretty short list of people who were successful in every role they attempted in wrestling. Funk and Eddie are two of them. I’d add Heenan and Lawler (I don’t care for Lawler as an announcer, but he’s definitely been successful in that role).

Had Owen lived, he'd have been a hell of an announcer. JR talked about how fun it was to work with him at King of the Ring 96 and I thought he did a great job there and the few other times he did it. 

• Like 4

Pillman's another guy who could've had a tremendous run as an announcer, manager or authority figure. He'd already knocked it out of the park as a white meat babyface and as a crazy heel. In a perfect world, he'd have realized that his ankle was too messed up for him to go at the level he was used to and transitioned into the modern Jesse the Body role that JR tried to convince him to do and we're talking about him in the same way we talk about how Heenan was great at everything.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

I thought Punk did a pretty good job when he was on the Raw announce team

Same here. I'd love to see him come back and do it again at some point but no f'n way he's gonna tolerate having Vince yelling at him through a headset for any prolonged period of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

Same here. I'd love to see him come back and do it again at some point but no f'n way he's gonna tolerate having Vince yelling at him through a headset for any prolonged period of time.

I can totally understand him not wanting to work for whatever reason, but you're right, he really would have excelled at commentary. I have to wonder if he got the call and turned it down before AEW went with Mark Henry and The Giant on color for the new shows.

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

"Car Shield cars go farther" from Flair (think of the hard Rs in that sentence) followed by Gary Hart coaching Low Ki through a promo on MLW just happened. What a pair of moments.

The Ric Flair commericals for Carshield were what replaced the Mypillow guy after he became too toxic for even Sinclair.

3 hours ago, Log said:

I remember a Funk/Eddie Guerrero match from 1989.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

In taking a break from working on my bathroom and decide to kill some minutes looking at Reddit. Someone in wreddit posted the video of Larry Sweeney dancing to jive soul bro and now I'm fucking bummed and got teary eyed. When I think of wrestling folks who left this world way too young, Larry is near the top of that list. 

I love that video from King of Trios 2008. Yes, Sweeney left us way too soon. I have to believe he'd either be in WWE or AEW right now.

and just because I can never get enough of it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, alstein said:

The Ric Flair commericals for Carshield were what replaced the Mypillow guy after he became too toxic for even Sinclair

Funny enough, I was traveling the last few days and stayed in a hotel that had AXS so I caught a bit of Impact, and what do I see but a My pillow ad. Not a knock on TNA, more on the pillow guy. I guess it beats whatever dick pills they had on the apron back in the 00s