DVDVR Message Board

July 2021 Wrestling Discussion.

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

(second half of that is a real Monsoon/Heenan exchange, actually:  HBK vs Tito to open WM8)

Closest I've ever seen was when WCW did a hair vs hair match with heel Eddie vs "crazy" Chavo (of eventual Pepe the Hobby Horse fame), in which Chavo gave up in the first minute to a hammerlock so he could shave his own head and deny evil Eddy the satisfaction.

Yeah, I remember the WM8 exchange quite vividly! And yeah, read about the Chavo thing, but never actually saw it.

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

Seems WWE will test out more bullshit and junk, reportedly Raw Roulette, Legends Night, and the King of the Ring are all returning this year.

I don't mind the Roulette stuff. So happy to see King of the Ring return. Kind of surprised they haven't done a Queen of the Ring or something yet.

• Like 2

For some reason - I could have sworn someone (like a Meltzer type) said the Networks were pushing for more of those "theme" type nights (partly because they are easier to market) but damned if I can find it now

In news that might end up changing the WWE's Summerslam plans

John Cena just booked himself another big movie

Production is supposed to start in Europe in August thus potentially scuttling the Cena/Reigns plans

(Side note to that - Cena specifically said in his last Jimmy Fallon appearance that the insurance on the movies does not allow for him to jet off for a weekend and do a match)

For a company that refuses to let anybody get TOO over, they sure love trying to bump ratings by trotting out former stars who were - GASP! - not cut off at the knees while at their near-hottest. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

I have in my head that WWE ran this exact angle on a random RAW a few years back. I'll be damned if I could tell who the wrestlers involved were exactly, I just remember the bell ringing, the "end boss" heel on commentary gloating about how his opponent is going to be softened up, and the face then immediately kicking the first opponent in the groin to end the match on a DQ.

Sounds familiar. Maybe Dean Ambrose?

On 7/7/2021 at 12:47 PM, Zimbra said:

Great, now I'm going to spend the rest of the day thinking about who the worst person I ever shook hands with was.

I feel lucky that I need only one hand to count them on, considering the folks I grew up around 

My best friend in elementary school, who slept over at my place a few times around 3rd and 4th grade when sleepovers meant trying to stay up all night playing video games, he killed his girlfriend in her sleep. By killed, he basically beheaded her, as far as how much of her neck he cut through before tiring out and calling the cops on himself. Claims it was drugs and demons made him do it, but the (toxicology?) report said he was clean, no drugs 

A kid i went to church with grew up to be a wife beater, would assault his teenage kids, talking fist fights and bruises, swelling. The wife and kids would "go away on vacation" while everything healed, then come back home. Heard that he may have had a "relationship" with his daughter. Tbh I lost touch with this guy 30 years ago and found this all out from the few friends I keep in touch with who still attended the church as late as 2019

Two married men in their 30s and 40s respectively (from two other different churches we attended when I was little) had affairs with teenage girls in the youth ministry. The pastor at each church urged the girls parents not to press charges, to let God work on both men. Kinda explains why they kept switching churches before we eventually stopped going altogether

One of my uncles got stabbed by my aunt when I was 8, she took his beatings because it was the 80s and she was told to just roll with it. But when she found out he had been molesting my cousins she fucking lost it, one of the neighbors intervened not knowing the story, and my uncle was out their lives from then.

The childhood best friend hurt to find out, because we were like brothers. We drifted apart when they moved away and finding out he was on death row and the local media circus and all just had my family fucked up that he turned out like that. The kid that grew up and beat on his wife and kids, we were buddies as kids. Vacation Bible school buddies, royal rangers and all. Him turning out like that is fucking disgusting. The older men who got with the teens, they were my parents friends. I was buddies with their kids before all the shit came out about the affairs and the one pregnancy. Like, they were respectable guys until everything came out and that just fucked my head up like dude! So sickening ? then my uncle, another head fuck because he was my godfather, same birthday and all. But knowing the shit he did to my cousins and my aunt, like when we heard he died some years ago alot of us got together to celebrate that piece of shit dying 

• Sad 1

I finally got my copy of @Phil Schneider's "Way of the Blade - 100 of the Greatest Bloody Matches in Wrestling History" and it's enriching my week in ways far beyond just having 100 great matches to watch.

I want to take this opportunity to give this thing, this board, the Death Valley Driver Video Review the credit that it deserves. I was a fourteen year old on-and-off-mark who decided to backyard his freshman year of high school because his friends wanted to & I had a camcorder. Not long after building a few gimmicks around the fact that I could tie a t-shirt around my face and make it look like a ninja mask / do a passable Arnold Schwarzenegger impression (voice, not physique), I got to Googling and stumbled upon the Green Board and things like Schneider's compilation tapes. It offered me so much more of a leg up than the standard Jericho/Ultimo match on KaZaA or whatever oldies the WWE DVDs of the era were offering. It offered me tome upon tome, meticulously curated lists of some of the finest human performance art ever recorded, matches and angles and talents that I would have never discovered otherwise. I was popping pimples and learning the intricacies of sexting while reading those old DVDVRs and watching those bootleg VHS. The prose, the highbrow/lowbrow mix, the FONT and PUNCTUATION~!, the DIY of it all. It elevated the artform for me to witness people speaking of it in that way. Simultaneously reverent and flippant. Simultaneously intelligent and unacademic. Esoteric and inviting, human and weird. @DEAN , @RIPPA& Co aren't my Meltzer, they're my Robert Christgau and Pauline Kael at the very least. The Bible of my preferred form of entertainment, not to get too heavy with it.

I fucked college up on my first try and came back with a vengeance as an acting major. Pro wrestling was and always will be my baseline when it comes to participating in that artform. Have I ever channeled a Bill Dundee promo while performing Shakespeare? Bro, I might have, and I'm a better person for it. I had no obvious career path until I established a really solid beer program @ the corner liquor store, and I did it because I was able to pour myself into the act of curation - digging through thousands and thousands of products, figuring out which ones were worth highlighting, trying them out and publicly promoting them every Saturday for six or seven years. PIMPING. SHILLING~! Etc. I learned it here as a young man. Just like digging through stacks of VHS and letting people know when you find those killer Bobby Eaton or Yoshiaki Fujiwara matches. I took the energy I saw in those old DVDVRs and Schneider comps and I applied it to the job I had then. Now I own and manage a successful business get to do real people shit like buy a house and support my loved ones despite being an Anxious Millennial Dorkboy. I thank you all for it.

Dropping $18 bucks on a Phil Schneider book in 2021 was such a "well, duh" thing to do, and flipping through the pages of this very good book is the closest I've felt in years to being that wide-eyed skinny kid who would bump off his friend's roof if it meant that I got to show him a match from the '95 Taue Miracle Run (Brian had and still has a great and safe chokeslam, ask his three-year old son). Reading through 400 pages of an intelligent and tasteful dude's good-match manifesto has really got me going. This curator shit is REAL, people! We live in a world of insane commodity surplus and daunting amounts of available content! Learn to research, learn to identify the good shit nobody knows about, and TELL THEM ABOUT IT!

I'm certain the oldheads, the OG crew, realize that they really did make an eternal dent in the history of how the world understands the artform of professional wrestling. I'm not Tony Khan. But you guys should know that a bunch of non-wrestling-biz regular kids took in all that stuff you typed out in those wee small hours and cherished the hell out of it. Bravo, the fruits of your labor are gonna last a damn long time.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 21

10 hours ago, Log said:

I feel like if you really want to set yourself apart as a badass wrestler nowadays, you do what Walter did there.  "I've got this under control.  Now try to kick out of this."  

I've said it before, but Shawn Michaels has ruined modern wrestling.  Even as a babyface, he was whiny as hell.  So many of today's wrestlers idolized him and that's one of the bad traits they've picked up on.  A tough babyface shouldn't be whining to the ref that it was a three count.  They should get back to work winning the match.

The funny thing is, than we don't know if Shawn Whining in the match was a work or not.  I was a huge fan of Shawn growing up. But it's annoying to hear Vince just hype up Shawn so much. It's like Vince was making up for the fact that Shawn wasn't as big as alot of the other guys

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, nate said:

Ooooh, star of David/ "David Starr."  I'll be damned...

What do the back of Barry Horowitz's trunks have to do with this?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, D.Z said:

Aleister Black had a 30 day non-compete because WWE didn't adjust his contract after calling him up to the main roster.

More context on this from the new WON (which also took the news directly from Black speaking on a Twitch stream)

After his debut he went on his wife’s Twitch channel and aid only a handful of people knew that he was set to debut at the Road Rager episode of Dynamite, a fact only made possible due to a WWE clerical error that left him free to sign with another company. "Once I found out that my contract was a tad different than the usual, I just came up with this idea," said Black. "We made it a thing to make it available to as limited people as possible because that's how you keep it under wraps. Security, Cody Rhodes, and a few others. It may have been five or six total people." Actually the word did get out earlier the day of the show. Black had something in his contract that allowed him to opt out of the 90-day noncompete after 30 days, and this was the first Dynamite show after the 30 days. It worked out because you know Tony Khan wanted a big debut on the first show out of Jacksonville.

• Like 2

My thought right now is Vince on the phone with WWE Legal, screaming like Stellan Skarsgard in Hunt for Red October,

GOD DAMN IT I WANT THE NON-COMPETES SET TO 90 NOW!!

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In news that might end up changing the WWE's Summerslam plans

John Cena just booked himself another big movie

Production is supposed to start in Europe in August thus potentially scuttling the Cena/Reigns plans

(Side note to that - Cena specifically said in his last Jimmy Fallon appearance that the insurance on the movies does not allow for him to jet off for a weekend and do a match)

And to complicate this... 

I'm not on their Patreon, so I couldn't tell you what the story actually is. 

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

My thought right now is Vince on the phone with WWE Legal, screaming like Stellan Skarsgard in Hunt for Red October,

GOD DAMN IT I WANT THE NON-COMPETES SET TO 90 NOW!!

You posted this in jest however....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And to complicate this... 

I'm not on their Patreon, so I couldn't tell you what the story actually is. 

Its not a Patreon story - you could read it ?

It literally is them taking one line from the part I pulled my stuff from where Dave goes "the match is locked in" and then proceeded to say all the other stuff that I mentioned. So who the fuck knows

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

You posted this in jest however....

This is hilarious to me. They don't think this guy is worth keeping around, but they're terrified he's gonna go somewhere where he might make a difference. Doesn't his 90 day run out like two days before All Out?