DVDVR Message Board

WEDNESDAY Night Dynamite - 6/30/2021

16 hours ago, zendragon said:

I get the comparisons between Sammy and Eddie at least young pre-juice Eddie who was working Japan and AAA.

The only time I've like a three man booth was Nitro where everyone had a defined role Tony was  lead, Bobby or Larry as color and Mike Teny doing his "professor of pro wrestling" thing

I've noticed that the booth gets better in AEW when someone steps out, either Tony to do an in ring or when its just Ex and Tony on the buy in.

Maybe move JR over to Rampage with Kingston/Jericho/Callis/Tazz on a rotating basis. If that show is taped you can fix things in post.

Also Evil Uno has a cartoon voice but I can't put my finger on who he sounds like

I like the suggestion of moving Ross to the mostly taped Rampage.  There have however been a lot of taped Dynamites over the past year, was Jim more tolerable on those?  I honestly can’t recall.  We also wouldn’t really know if anything was cut.  Jim clearly has a lot of pull in this company, so we might as well brace ourselves for more and more Good Ol.  All we can really hope for is the off colour comment/slip that we all know he has brewing, under the big black hat, to get him thankfully the fuck removed.

Until then let’s embrace the angry voice of ‘the greatest play by play man of all time’ and his ridiculous flubs with all the sense of humour one can muster.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

The worst JR -ism was during the Omega/Page vs Young Bucks match where the Bucks did the Golden Trigger, Excalibur called it that, and JR shouted him down to insist it was actually called the Double Knees. So instead of getting a story of how insulting it is that they'd use the Kenny & Kota move on Kenny, we get "Well, getting a knee to the head hurts, just imagine two at once!".

Like Kenny really likes to put a lot of deep storytelling into his matches, especially his bigger matches, and JR is actively working against him doing that.

21 hours ago, EVA said:

10 pages about Jim Ross.  I need another vacation already.

The classic derail for a laugh.  And not without some truth.  So what's the post-vacay fresh topic?  

Any thoughts on the wonderful Men of the Year?

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Great segment. Can't wait till Kenny Omega vs. Adam Hangman Page.

I really enjoyed this segment. I know there’s the talk of Kenny’s promos and I agreed when he was a face he could be very awkward. But I’m really liking Heel Omega and the new facial hair is a plus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Any thoughts on the wonderful Men of the Year?

They are probably the 2nd best loser heel squad right behind Team Taz. 

Peter Avalon has finally found his calling card as the Master to Cezar’s Blaster. Cezar Bononi is great as the doofus muscle, with a  deflated Robert Z’Dar face, and the best gear in the biz. Ryan Nemeth was born to get his ass whipped. JD Drake is the only one that doesn’t fit, but at least he’s got a role, and isn’t some colorless jobber. He does bring the working boots for the team to keep them credible which is his role, but I feel JD Drake would be better as a babyface sidekick to Cody, Hangman, or Kingston. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

There's every chance that this time next week, Peter Avalon is the only Wingman still there. AEW hitting the road again means the Daily's Place Dark crew aren't going to be booked any more. They've strongly alluded to Fuego, Kilynn and Baron Black being finished up at the last taping... I've seen Bononi and Drake looking for indie tag team bookings on the twitter. They could be finished already.  

16 minutes ago, EVA said:

I feel like you may have confused Men of the Year with the Wingmen.

Oops lol… Ethan Page shows a lot of potential, but he’s missing something else to make himself standout. Him, and Scorpio Sky were great foils to Sting & Darby though, and they could be doing the same thing against lets say Santana & Ortiz whenever they are done with The Pinnacle. Just again, something else to make them standout from the pack to become a center piece of a division. Actually what it boils down to is that they need a makeover. Less generic colors for both men. A new haircut for Ethan Page. Stuff like that usually works, and do something special that no one does in a match. I mean look at the Bucks as an inspiration for heel work that makes you standout more.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Oops lol… Ethan Page shows a lot of potential, but he’s missing something else to make himself standout. Him, and Scorpio Sky were great foils to Sting & Darby though, and they could be doing the same thing against lets say Santana & Ortiz whenever they are done with The Pinnacle. Just again, something else to make them standout from the pack to become a center piece of a division. Actually what it boils down to is that they need a makeover. Less generic colors for both men. A new haircut for Ethan Page. Stuff like that usually works, and do something special that no one does in a match. I mean look at the Bucks as an inspiration for heel work that makes you standout more.

Page and Scorpio have pretty much nailed everything they’ve been asked to do.  Page cuts terrific believable promos, is very good in ring, and looks great doing it.  His hair?  He’s a jock asshole and I think his cut is  perfect for him.  It’s not like he’s rocking some out of date style (see MJF and his early aughts Josh Matthews faux hawk for example).  Even Scorpio has found some direction for his exceptional talents.  Men of the Year are fantastic.  They don’t need anything but more time.  Judging by the weekly Dynamite threads, at least half the doubters have already come around to their wonderful heel act.  I suspect the rest after the coffin match (very likely) classic.

• Like 1

The main question I have about the Coffin match is, will Darby A) lay Ethan down in the coffin and then Coffin Drop onto him, or B) lay Ethan on a table, climb up the top rope with the coffin, and then do a Coffin Drop while actually in a Coffin?

46 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Page and Scorpio have pretty much nailed everything they’ve been asked to do.  Page cuts terrific believable promos, is very good in ring, and looks great doing it.  His hair?  He’s a jock asshole and I think his cut is  perfect for him.  It’s not like he’s rocking some out of date style (see MJF and his early aughts Josh Matthews faux hawk for example).  Even Scorpio has found some direction for his exceptional talents.  Men of the Year are fantastic.  They don’t need anything but more time.  Judging by the weekly Dynamite threads, at least half the doubters have already come around to their wonderful heel act.  I suspect the rest after the coffin match (very likely) classic.

I just think they need something else to push em over to be more than just the heels who ultimately lose the feud. Right now they are great in that role, but they deserve more, and hopefully they find that character trait that gets them more noticed.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I just think they need something else to push em over to be more than just the heels who ultimately lose the feud. Right now they are great in that role, but they deserve more, and hopefully they find that character trait that gets them more noticed.

Ethan Page is a really good heel promo and that is helping to define him right now, and bringing him a lot of notice. And making him worthy of being positioned with Darby.  And I like where Scorpio is for the ride.  

Going back to your first post, I don't think they need to be the centerpiece of anything to be successful.  If they become 'the heels who always lose the feud' they'll have an issue, and likely begin to flounder, but as is, I don't see an issue.  They're punching above their weight, so to speak, right now.  Darby is amongst the biggest stars in the company, and certainly Scorp dropping a fall to Sting didn't hurt them.  Neither Scorpio nor Page should've or really could've been pushed any harder.  They're guys who have to prove themselves still.  I just think they're doing a great job of proving themselves. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

I’m enjoying how the Men of the Year have been developing over the past month or so.  They seemed a little lost on in the early days of the gimmick (and Page and Sky were as confused as we were when they were paired together), but they’re smart guys, and they’re figuring it out.

A week or so ago, I talked about the “meta booking” of Miro’s early run in AEW, and how it really didn’t work out so well, but I think what they’re doing with Ethan Page—so far, at least—seems to be a good example of it.  Much like with Miro, I think there’s a belief that Page can be a top guy in the promotion down the line, but he earned his “future star” bonafides in Impact, a promotion with a niche-of-a-niche audience, at this point.  Throwing him out there and saying, “Hey, here’s Ethan Page, he’s a big deal,” clearly wasn’t going to work (as evidenced by the tepid response to his Revolution debut and early run pre-MOTY).

So, how did he build his buzz in Impact?  As part of a pretty great tag team.  Okay, let’s put him in another tag team and let the AEW audience learn to appreciate him in that context and see his potential in the same way Impact fans did.  And besides being part of The North, what’s the other most awesome thing he’s ever done?  Feud with Darby Allin.  So, let’s heat that up in AEW, too.  I feel like they’re pressing all the right buttons with Page right now, and he’s starting to get more comfortable in AEW (whereas, in those early days, he really came across like a guy who might’ve gotten Peter principle’d.)

It feels like it’s been a good reset for Scorpio Sky, too.  He just never found his footing as a singles babyface act.  As a nice guy, he just came off dull.  MOTY puts him back into the heel mode that kickstarted his unlikely late-career resurgence to begin with.  If he can hit on another catchphrase as good as the “Worst Town” bit, he’s golden.  I’m kinda hoping we get a Sky/Sting singles match after Page/Darby.  Sky is a pro who can take care of Sting, and I feel like they could do a solid 8 minutes that would make people happy.

• Like 6

Can't wait for Dynamite tonight. We have finally hit post-pandemic and tonight is the beginning of the new era once again. I think I speak on behalf of everybody when I say that we've waited long enough for this. It's time to get this shit back on the road and get that professional wrestling we know and love back!

Now that I have that out of the way, I've been going back and listening to a lot of AEW Unrestricted and from listening to so many of these, can I just put over how great the storytelling in AEW has been from the beginning? Take Dark Order for instance, a cult that nobody really gave too much of a shit about two years ago. Instead of just killing the angle or whatnot, they instead slowly burned it into what it is today (thank you Brodie Lee for helping that cause) and it's not an integral part of Hangmans title chase story. The way these angles interweave together is absolutely fantastic and it makes me wonder just what/how far ahead Tony Khan actually books in advance. There's no way this was even close to his end game with Dark Order, but I'll be damned if half of the shit AEW has been given they've turned into something really good.

I don't say this to run down WWE, not whatsoever, but I was only like 7-8 years old when the Attitude Era first came around. My primary exposure to "live" WWE wrestling wasn't until 2001 post Survivor Series (I missed all the good stuff), but I like to think of AEW as the current attitude era of wrestling. Nothing touches it for me. I consider it like early 2000's WWE storytelling meets 2005 TNA in ring action and I love it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1