DVDVR Message Board

WEDNESDAY Night Dynamite - 6/30/2021

36 minutes ago, just drew said:

One of the symptoms of my mental illness is what my therapist would call a tendency to "ruminate and fixate." I see or experience something I don't like and I can't let it go.

Well, shit. That must really suck sometimes. I can't imagine what that must be like but it doesn't sound like fun. 

I'm overly ruminative by nature (prone to navel-gazing, as it were) but I think I have control over it, like I seem to be able to turn it off when I've got something to do. 

Luckily it doesn't seem to keep you from enjoying things that don't set it off. Like, say, Jungle Boy, Hangman Page, and Ricky Starks. Here's to you enjoying the things that you can, to the fullest.

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 4

I kind of feel like a shithead for thinking this.  But there's some cruel irony in Rebel having the gimmick where she's always on crutches (and a shirt to go with it) and now she'll be on them for real.  I hope it won't be long before she recovers because she's been great as Britt's assistant.  I also think that while Vicki didn't sell Britt's move while I like Britt I see it as a bit unprofessional that she would stiff a non-wrestler because of it.  That and it's Vicki Guerrero.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

Why the hell is Vickie even on my tv?  That's even more baffling to me than JR.  She adds nothing to any of the acts she's paired with and she should not be in the ring.  It's cool if AEW wants to employ her in some capacity, I just don't think the one she's currently in is the right one.  Nyla can talk just fine on her own.  She's even better than Vickie, IMO.  Andrade doesn't need her.  In fact, I'd say him appearing with her makes him seem less of a star than he should.

I'm not advocating for her firing.  I just think that her current role isn't the best use of her.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Log said:

Why the hell is Vickie even on my tv?  That's even more baffling to me than JR.  She adds nothing to any of the acts she's paired with and she should not be in the ring.  It's cool if AEW wants to employ her in some capacity, I just don't think the one she's currently in is the right one.  Nyla can talk just fine on her own.  She's even better than Vickie, IMO.  Andrade doesn't need her.  In fact, I'd say him appearing with her makes him seem less of a star than he should.

Right.  She's a comedy character and it lessens the people she's with.  Fans didn't pay attention to the initial Andrade reveal because Vickie was the one doing it.  She should be with the Wingmen.  Four dudes and one cougar hanging out, being sleazy?  Yes.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

I've seen people defending the JR thing or saying it's not that bad. I mean, it's pretty fucking bad. There's a solid chance that they had their highest viewership at that moment and you call the show WWE Dynamite. The best analogy I could think of would be like going out to dinner, having a really good dinner, but when you go to leave, the toilet has overflowed and you have to walk through this shitty mess when you're leaving. All you're going to think about first is that shitty mess.

Anyway, moving on.

I cracked up at the Bucks facial hair. Was happy they lost too, but I don't think they lose the titles to Penta and Eddie. Penta at least continues to be switched on. Maybe it's only when he's the heel that he spams taunts and is generally crappy. Eddie is legendary though. Dude is always good.

Miro fucking rules and that match kicked ass. They gave Pillman a lot and Pillman did a really good job with everything he was doing. Miro's new theme music is the shit too. There is something super primal or biblical warrior sounding to the horns that sound during his music. 

I popped for the whole Dark Order and Kenny segment and the aftermath with Hangman. They're going with the direction that I wrote about on here about a month or so ago.

Moving the Coffin Match from Miami makes sense to me given everything that continues to happen there. Good pivot and I'm glad they're not being tone deaf about the tragedy down there.

Vickie sucks. Vickie has always sucked. I don't think I have ever liked her and I know you're not supposed to like heels, but she has the always had the wrong type of heel heat with me. Her role with Nyla is no exception.

That leads me to Andrade. Ok, they're going with the logical direction of doing Andrade vs Sydal on the 7th. At least they had Abrahantes there with Andrade and not Vickie. Here's hoping they put Abrahantes with Andrade full time or, BEST yet, bring in Zelina Vega. Andrade and Vega together is a top of the card act.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Right.  She's a comedy character and it lessens the people she's with.  Fans didn't pay attention to the initial Andrade reveal because Vickie was the one doing it.  She should be with the Wingmen.  Four dudes and one cougar hanging out, being sleazy?  Yes.

The dirty thought of Vickie being the girlfriend to both Nemeth brothers is too much.

• Haha 3

I would be totally cool with Vickie being with the Wingmen. They could do some fun skits together, even though there's too much comedy on Dynamite as it is. Maybe just save the comedy stuff for Elevation or Dark.

• Like 2

I would much rather see a 2 man booth of Skeeavone & Excalibur. Mauro isn't needed- and JR still has a place in an on screen role... I think he's a great interviewer and he should be doing the sit downs that Tony handles. I also think JR's best suited role is behind the scenes- but I think he still believes in his fastball and is too stubborn to know when it's time to take a step back. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Big Z said:

Intrigued what the endgame will be with the Bucks-Kingston story, and starting to think there could be a Double or Nothing re-match at All Out in a big gimmick match (like NO DQ and Kingston's career on the line). Now, they would need to cool it down for a bit before All Out because of burn out of the pairing, but think there's a big PPV match left where Eddie/Mox take the titles.

I'm hoping for a 10 man Omega/Bucks/Good Brothers vs. Kingston/Moxley/Death Triangle match. Kingston and friends can come out on top of the feud and you can keep the belt on Omega until they heat up the inevitable program with Page.

As for really long term booking goes, I'd like to see a Pinnacle/EVPs "MJF decides AEW isn't big enough for both of them" feud.

Pretty strong show overall I thought.

Not really a fan of the Bucks but I thought that opener was good - well laid out, with a hot finishing stretch. My one criticism would be Matt’s goofy expressions, they’re fine as an early match thing after getting caught with a chop or whatever, but coming off big moves later in the match it just feels too consciously silly and undermines whatever came before it. I’m fine with Eddie/Penta presumably not getting the win next week, they don’t feel like the right team to dethrone the Bucks, despite their AEW history and the ‘Eddie’s best friend’ thing, I don’t think they have much chemistry.

Page/Darby stuff was good, and I liked all the talking stuff throughout.

Jungle Boy/Evans and the post-match was solid and served its purpose.

Miro/Pillman was good, Miro gave him just enough and Pillman looked good laying his stuff in when he got the chance, that dropkick to the outside was sweet. I’m not sure about Miro’s new theme though. It’s good once it kind of kicks in after 15 seconds or so, but the intro with the horns felt a bit off. I think it needs some kind of elaborate setup to go with the intro, maybe drop the lights and build to a spotlight on Miro as he appears like a God’s light shining down sort of thing.

Brit/Nyla stuff continues to be a dud. They need to get that match out of the way and re-set as it’s been a poor start to Britt’s title run. Outside of Jade, I don’t think they’re doing a very good job building up anyone else in the division though.

The main was decent but the kickouts at the end hurt it. I thought the tombstone was sold quite well afterwards, with Sammy doing the getting the feeling back in the fingers sell, but MJF needed to sell the knee for a lot longer to justify the kick out. I really liked how they shot the 630 with MJF begging and then Sammy hitting it with him in a slightly awkward seated position. The kickout was unnecessary though, they should have ran the Wardlow interference coming straight off him hitting that.

47 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

The dirty thought of Vickie being the girlfriend to both Nemeth brothers is too much.

Vickie "I get older, but Nemeth boys seem to stay the same age!" You're very welcome for that image.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I would much rather see a 2 man booth of Skeeavone & Excalibur. Mauro isn't needed

Speaking as someone who only watches the show occasionally, I can honestly say that bringing in Mauro might be enough to turn me off for a year or two.  

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

And to be blunt fuck Jim Ross.

Jesus can we dial it back a bit? Fuck the old disabled guy... you know because he said the wrong initials? Chill out brotha.

I have defended JR on here a bunch. But I have officially changed my tune. It's not just the slip up. But he really does hate what he's seeing and it's obvious in his commentary. He brings a bunch to the table. But he's also taking a bunch away from the show's enjoyment. The slip ups wouldn't be so bad if his general disposition wasn't so sour all the time. I don't have a good answer on how you phase him out without being disrespectful to him / making it obvious. His contract ends this year and he has been very vocal about only wanting to resign if he can do 1 year deals instead of the long term deals they have been presenting (3 years).

As was seen in WWE, he's very proud. When he gets demoted it really effects him emotionally. So I'm not sure switching him over to Rampage is even the answer. There's really not a way to promote him to an off TV role either. It's not like being head of commentary production is something he would want to do and work the headsets in the back. So I really don't know the answer. If they let him decide he's gonna stay on air until he's physically unable to travel. But if they take him off the air by force, he's going to make a lot of bad press for them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He's bad press for them every week right now. They would be making a huge mistake to re-sign him and I'm guessing Kenny and the Bucks would rather see him gone too. They aren't bringing in any lapsed fans with JR that they haven't already. 

• Like 2

Ehh the twitterverse coming for him after botches isn't bad press. Him doing the rounds and ranting about how he got phased out for being old, ageism if you will, would be bad press in places that matter. Places the network execs / sponsors would see.

But you are correct. AEW is established now and JR isn't bringing in any lapsed fan at this point. But I do think that's a false argument. Because his value is more to the sponsors and networks that associate him with wrestling when they were pulling in 8 million viewers a week. The business side of the business is full of people that don't give a shit about the wrestling. "Oh you have the guy from when wrestling was hot as your lead announcer? Okay that means something to me." That's how TNT became involved. TK listed a bunch of people he thought he could land. JR was one of the big fish that got TNT interested.

Wrestling is literally the least important part of the wrestling business when it comes to business.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Jesus can we dial it back a bit? Fuck the old disabled guy... you know because he said the wrong initials? Chill out brotha.

I'll admit to being on edge at the time due to work so sorry about that.  I don't wish ill will on him by any means and I'm not intending to dunk on a disabled person.  I would hope by now in the online space at least you know I was better than that.  I just wish to see him off commentary to do something else.  If that's not an option then it's best they part ways when his contract runs out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'll admit to being on edge at the time due to work so sorry about that.  I don't wish ill will on him by any means and I'm not intending to dunk on a disabled person.  I would hope by now in the online space at least you know I was better than that.  I just wish to see him off commentary to do something else.  If that's not an option then it's best they part ways when his contract runs out.

Here if you need to talk/vent, @NikoBaltimore. Best wishes.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1