DVDVR Message Board

NXTuesday - 6/29/2021

Dolfan in NYC

And new NA Champ, Swerve!  And if ya don't know, now ya know.  

I felt a little bad for Bronson Reed.  He looked like he had sincere anguish on his face after getting beaten like that.

Did Xia Li legit knock out Mercedes Martinez because that shit looked stiff.

Face Cameron Grimes is starting to grow on me.  I know he will end up being LA Knight's butler, but I still foolishly hope he wins next week.

Edited by J.T.

1 minute ago, Peck said:

Has Xia injured anyone before or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Anyways, Mercedes is heading to a local medical facility for further evaluation according to Sapp.

Someone said she broke Aaliyah's face somehow.

Just now, AxB said:

Someone said she broke Aaliyah's face somehow.

That is probably what I'm thinking of, although I also seem to remember some talk that that was a work and fake blood.

Anyways, Mercedes... girl.. get your hand up there. No one will deny you your toughness even if you do.

The women's triple threat tag was fun. Good with Io/Zoey winning.

Loved Joe in the segment with KOR and Cole.

Feel sorry for Mercedes. Xia obliterated her with hat kick. You could tell she was loopy as fuck immediately. Glad they stopped the match.

Swerve/Reed was good and probably the best Reed has looked in NXT. Loved him throwing Ashanti onto Top Dollar towards the end. So damn happy Swerve won. He should held gold at least a year ago. Seeing as how this was clearly something meant to happen at least a good month or two later it feels safe to assume Reed is getting called up. 

2 hours ago, nofuture said:

Low key best moment from tonight was amongst all the madness, Sarray asking Regal for a match in the most polite way possible.

It was kind of cute. Its nice to see some people show Regal the respect he deserves. Looking forward to Sarray vs. Toni.

1 hour ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Or he's getting released muahahahaha.

Or BOTH!

(I joke but both Vanessa Borne and Chelsea Greene were technically called up but released before making their debuts (or re-debut in Chelsea's case)

10 hours ago, nofuture said:

Low key best moment from tonight was amongst all the madness, Sarray asking Regal for a match in the most polite way possible.

• Like 2

Yeah, that was a scary moment with Mercedes.  Xia Li goes for the cover after the head kick and it looks like Mercedes gets a shoulder up at two and is going for a rope break, but then she just goes rigid.   

Xia tries not to break character but you can she she's surprised by the two count.  She has that "HOW DARE YOU~!" look on her face  Then it seems to gradually dawn on Xia and the ref that Mercedes is out hardway and the ref calls the match. 

Why they rolled Mercedes out of the ring I have no idea because it didn't look like anyone was there to help her to the ground or maybe Boa did off camera.

Edited by J.T.

I'll miss Reed in NXT if he's headed to the main roster.  Part of the problem with NXT at the moment is that they have an interesting midcard made up of guys that should be heading to the main roster soon (Grimes, Escobar, Reed) and the upper part of the card is made of of guys I have no interest in who are not likely to go to the main roster (Cole. O'Reilly, Cross (who is bound for the main roster), Ciampa, Gargano when he's a babyface, etc.)

I wish Balor was on the show more than once a month.

I have no idea what they're planning for the women's division.  It seems like they have 6-10 people who are ready to be called up and have been for a long time, and yet no one is getting call-ups. Meltzer thinks Storm should have been on the main roster years ago.  Kai and Io seem ready.  Ember?  The women's roster on the tv shows is both thin and stale, so it's not like they don't need some fresh blood and star power.  Is anyone excited about Natayla/Tamina feuding with Mandy/Dana? 

Then again, Rhea seemed more ready for the main roster than anyone in NXT and I don't feel like her callup is going that well even though she's got a belt and is feuding with Charlotte. 

Edited by Eoae

13 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I think Balor has to be called up soon, otherwise he’s a target for Nick Khan with the presumed size of his contract combined with barely being used by the company.

I wonder if he wants out.  Finn said in an interview that expected to be in NXT for a month or two, maybe three tops.

I'm not much for fantasy booking WWE castoffs into NXT, but I would like to see Devitt in AEW getting a strong push.

Edited by Eoae
Edit: meant AEW, not NXT

6 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I think Balor has to be called up soon, otherwise he’s a target for Nick Khan with the presumed size of his contract combined with barely being used by the company.

Two things

1. Balor specifically requested to be "down" in NXT. I'm pretty sure he'll be fine. 

2. Nick Kahn isn't the one approving the cuts, Vince is.  NK is just the name of some exec that the internet decided to blame for everything.

1 minute ago, Eoae said:

I wonder if he wants out.  Finn said in an interview that expected to be in NXT for a month or two, maybe three tops.

I'm not much for fantasy booking WWE castoffs into NXT, but I would like to see Devitt in NXT getting a strong push.

He was the NXT Champion for over 200 days.  What sort of 'strong push' are you imagining?  Like does he have to bathe in Johnny Gargano's blood?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Two things

1. Balor specifically requested to be "down" in NXT. I'm pretty sure he'll be fine.

Yes - but as Eoae just mentioned, Balor said in an interview with Ryan Satin at the end of May that he wants to go back to the main roster. In fact - he said in the same interview that he was only supposed to return to NXT for 3 months but that got extended for a variety of reasons.

I also could have sworn Meltzer recently said that Balor was "done" with NXT but I can't find that anywhere online so it might have been a fever dream

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

He was the NXT Champion for over 200 days.  What sort of 'strong push' are you imagining?  Like does he have to bathe in Johnny Gargano's blood?  

That was a typo.  Sry.  I meant to say I'd like to see him in AEW if Vince ever releases him.  I fixed the original post.

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

He was the NXT Champion for over 200 days.

Eh.... he lost in his first title defense and only got it back because Kross got hurt in that match.

Then he was just a place holder until Kross was healthy to get the title back.

I mean it's not Rey Jr wins the World Title and then loses every week but pretty much the only reason to build him was so Kross again got the bigger rub

My point (and this is lessened by E saying he meant AE Dub), you don't just give a guy you don't believe in 7 months with your championship if you don't want to focus your product around him.  Sure, he was warming the belt for Kross, but they could have just as easily given it back to Cole or Ciampa or any number of guys.  

I also see no world in which they release Finn, period.  He's got main roster programs waiting for him in Reigns, Lashley, McIntyre, and plenty of others. My guess is they're probably waiting for the field to clear and if he is done with NXT, he comes up during the draft and challenges Reigns/Lashley immediately. 

• Like 1