DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

19 hours ago, EVA said:

I’ve been trumpeting the “HHH Is Actually Pretty Bad At His Job” narrative for years, but I think there’s plenty of blame to go around. Trying to use NXT as a chess piece against Dynamite was a cataclysmic decision on multiple levels, and that was a pure, classic Vince move. That’s when it all really started to fall apart for NXT.

I don't know, with how NXT was going I think at some point they had to do something because otherwise what is even the point of it since it doesn't really prepare guys for RAW/SD? Vince's mistake was probably that he thought that HHH wasn't that bad at his job.

I really don't agree with this idea that Triple H failed to prepare people for the main roster, or that it was EVER Triple H's job to "send people up to the main roster". Suggest, maybe, but he can't decide that Tyler Breeze is ready for TV and just make that decision. Two fuckin' years ago this company was promoting NXT, on RAW and Smackdown, as a third brand, probably because of a combination of AEW being successful and the roster being trapped in Saudi Arabia. But anyway... I can't imagine what it's like behind the scenes with that idea, since they're so shaky on television about it.

• Like 1

On why they would keep Adam Cole? This is me at 8:26 in the morning drinking my morning coffee speculating, but I think the strategy is to “keep a pipeline in place” to get Omega, and the Bucks to fuck with AEW in the future. They don’t really need him, or the Elite, it’s just to take a bite out of the competition.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

If they're turning NXT into what it was in 2012 and shit, and combined with the idea that they have to re-train indie guys to do the NXT style, then re-train them again when they get to the main roster... I can't see how Omega and/or the Bucks would fit into either this new/old concept of NXT, or RAW/Smackdown. Cody Rhodes vs Malakai Black just did like 1.07 million viewers on Wednesday night - maybe they think Adam Cole, especially with the audience that watches wrestling on Tuesdays/Wednesdays, would be a huge boon for AEW and do similar or better numbers for them. Do I personally think so? No. But I'm not a fan of Cole/Gargano/Ciampa/etc.

Either way it's probably good to be Adam Cole right now - if he sticks with WWE and goes to the main roster, maybe he gets a push or whatever. At the end of the day, he'll have a nice paycheck to show for it. If he goes to AEW, you already know he's slotted right into the upper card, ahead of someone like Andrade, but right at the level of Malakai Black right now (and probably higher, in the future).

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

If they're turning NXT into what it was in 2012 and shit, and combined with the idea that they have to re-train indie guys to do the NXT style, then re-train them again when they get to the main roster... I can't see how Omega and/or the Bucks would fit into either this new/old concept of NXT, or RAW/Smackdown.

They won’t, it’s “Here’s your toys TK. I’m stealing them, and putting them in my closet never to play with them”. It’s a theory, but a simple, and clean theory. 

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

They won’t, it’s “Here’s your toys TK. I’m stealing them, and putting them in my closet never to play with them”. It’s a theory, but a simple, and clean theory. 

I can buy this theory. Not only exactly what you were saying, but also: "Oh, look TK, I also take these toys out of their original boxes and piss all over them, so once I'm done not playing with them, ever, they won't be worth anything to anyone, either! And I'm fine with that!"

I’m an AEW fan but I’m also a huge UUDD Uno fan. Cole as Chugs with that group of friends makes me so happy. Da Party is my weekly before bed watch that I’m somehow most excited for. Whatever makes him happy is the way to go, obviously, and hopefully he can make him and his family a lot of money. 

• Like 2

Does anybody remember the Easter egg dig at CM Punk from Triple H during a backstage segment? It was like a postage note covering Punk’s face in the background.

I bet you a dig at Hunter in a promo, and that will be referenced in a AEW backstage interview soon.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Does anybody remember the Easter egg dig at CM Punk from Triple H during a backstage segment? It was like postage note covering Punk’s face in the background.

I bet you a dig at Hunter in a promo, and that will be referenced in AEW soon.

G4Ge2fM.jpg

Nobody does petty like WWE.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm going to be honest, I thought Triple H did a damn good job with NXT until his hand was forced and they made it a 2 hour show on USA Network. Maybe some of the appeal before was that it wasn't "mainstream" and you had to have the network to watch - but I'll be damned if NXT didn't give us some of the best wrestling matches in the past ten years.

Guys like Balor, PAC, Sami Zayn, Adam Cole, Ciampa, you know the names. How many of them would've made it to WWE without NXT? Sami? Probably not just because of size. And that goes for a lot of people. I can't hate on Triple H for that. As a fan, he gave me exactly what I wanted. That Cole/Gargano 2 out of 3 falls match was an absolute trip watching it live. I'm thankful for stuff like that.

Now we get OVW 2.0 which I personally could give two shits less about. Regardless, he gave people chances and I don't put every bad decision (talent hording, wanting to expand [that's reasonable for a business to want to do]) soley on his shoulders when I know he has plenty of people to answer to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

WWE being shitty with their new-old requirements is no surprise to anyone. Whatever you think about the NXT cuts, this is GREAT for indies around the world. AEW is getting bloated even with a new show, so everyone will have to find a home somewhere else. And with AEW being open to opening the forbidden door, I don't think we're going to be lacking in any fan service or guest appearances of anyone we want to see. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Would that be $1 million downside? Or like $1 million with bonuses and such? 

They can't forcast bonuses and merchandise revenue like that. Every offer they make is a downside offer. This is your salary. You can get more than your salary maybe, but you can't get less. But there's no way to make an offer that includes numbers you have no idea of knowing at this moment in time.

That being said, what does a million dollar downside even mean anymore? Gallows & Andersoon stayed put because of huge $800k downsides. They got cut 6 months into a 5 year deal. They never actually made that $800k. Which is why in Adam Cole's position the million dollar number would be worthless to me. Because six months down the line maybe Vince decides he doesn't like your accent or doesn't like the way you make a facial reaction to pain and you become a "budget cut". Looking at wrestling as a business, you'd be a fool accept WWE at their word right now. So in his shoes I'd still walk.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

WWE being shitty with their new-old requirements is no surprise to anyone. Whatever you think about the NXT cuts, this is GREAT for indies around the world. AEW is getting bloated even with a new show, so everyone will have to find a home somewhere else. And with AEW being open to opening the forbidden door, I don't think we're going to be lacking in any fan service or guest appearances of anyone we want to see. 

I don't think it's shitty, really.  Vince wants to the main roster to get younger, and, really, they need to.  Signing guys in the early 30's who have been in the business for 10, 13 years (Bronson Reed is 32 but started wrestling at 19) means guys already have a fair bit of wear and tear on them when they hit NXT AND are going to spend at least a few years in the minors, meaning they'll probably be at least 35 before they get called up.

It's no different than real sports.  You're not much of a prospect in baseball if you're still in the minors at 25 or 26.

Of course, that also means those same guys are generally a lot more ready and well-rounded to be pro wrestlers unless they just outright suck and aren't called up because of some stupid petty WWE style bullshit or name a reason of the month.

• Like 1