DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

Just to put it in perspective how many releases there have been.

Between 2014 and 2019, there were a rough total of 120 superstars that were released.
Between 2020 and 2021? 110 total released wrestlers.

• Like 2

As others have said, it wasn’t necessarily AEW they were trying to fuck with by signing away talent. It was a quasi “Fuck You” to indie companies(Including ROH at the time) booking around WWE big event weekends. At least that’s how I remembered the reporting at the time. But the WWE did all of a sudden infamously re-signed big money deals to talent, and highly questionable talent(Good Bros., Mojo, Zack) when AEW was starting up. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Sad for Mercedes to never get a real main roster run, but not surprised and always figured she'd be one to have a big return to the indys tour waiting for her.  Definitely can see her back in AEW before too long.

On 8/2/2021 at 6:29 PM, The Great ML said:

Sully is a regular commentator on our local fed SWE Fury...and with all due respect, he’s slipping pretty noticeably. Getting old sucks.

And now Sullivan is taking over as GM from Teddy Long, who is suddenly done with SWE.

• Thanks 1

I think what's generally being overlooked here is the genuine stars NXT did create over the last several years but were highly misused on the main roster. But also what about the Four Horsewomen? What about Bianca Belair who just headlined a WrestleMania? 

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

They are idiots if they are offering Cole that much. They should just let him leave. 

Except WWE sort of holds an inordinate amount of power with these contracts, as the last year has plainly shown. Not to mention, they are still raking in record profits. In other words, they can basically afford to overpay a talent like Adam Cole whatever anyone thinks overpaying him is.

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Pete Dunne's contract is also due to expire as well.

It would be very much on brand for WWE to offer Cole a million and let Dunne's contract just expire. As far as Cole goes, a million would be hard to pass up on, but there is no guarantee whatsoever that they wouldn't just job him out bad and then release him anyway. Given the recent evidence, I would probably not sign anything, unless they would throw in the no cut-clause. Either way, Cole is in a very good spot at this moment. Good for him.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Except WWE sort of holds an inordinate amount of power with these contracts, as the last year has plainly shown. Not to mention, they are still raking in record profits. In other words, they can basically afford to overpay a talent like Adam Cole whatever anyone thinks overpaying him is.

I don't believe I said anything about whether or not they can afford it or about the power of their contracts. Its just plain stupid and a waste to pay him that much. No one else major wise is going to offer him that much money or give him the level of push he had in NXT. It just doesn't make sense to try to keep him there at that amount, be it for themselves or to avoid empowering competition. He doesn't make them that kind of money, and he won't bring anything more to competition than what they already have.

Stuff like this while releasing Bray is exactly the type of dumbass decisions that annoy me. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Stuff like this while releasing Bray is exactly the type of dumbass decisions that annoy me. 

Yup, the mixed messages regarding the "budget cuts" and "if you stay, we'll give you a million" are astounding.

Also, we'll just give you Bray Wyatt (or Bronson Reed, or whomever with an upiside) but we'll hold on to Adam Cole for dear life seems like a weird hill to die on, although they of course can pick any hill they choose and not die on it, anyway!

Edited by Shartnado
Grammar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DangerMark said:

Wrestlers with the build of Bronson Reed are lucky if they don't wind up dancing all over the main roster.

Yeah, I guess it's just members of this board who advocate larger, more well-rounded builds in wrestlers, not anyone in WWE.

I'm sure there are Wrestling fans in existence who think Adam Cole is the best Wrestler in the world, greatest NXT Champion in history (and NXT is the best company in wrestling history), Inventor of the Canadian Destroyer and all that. And those people probably refused to watch AEW, even after NXT moved to Tuesdays. And letting Cole go to AEW might get them to start watching it (although they'd probably decide he was a traitor who stabbed his fans in the back).

The thing is though, they probably do exist. But I don't think there's actually that many of them.

Overpaying to keep him, that's fine, but the Garganos and Ciampas are going to think that kind of deal should be on the table for them too, aren't they? 

Not to mention, people like Braun and Bray were on big contracts with years left to run. So saying to Cole, you're the guy we're going with, on a big contract, for years, they can say that and mean it. But that's doesn't mean it's guaranteed they won't change their minds.

• Thanks 1

Gargano and Ciampa probably aren't going to be staying around NXT too much longer if the Observer has their shit right. I posted it in the NXT thread, but internally they want to shift back to how NXT was pre-indie hostile takeover of the brand, with bigger and young guys. "no more midgets" and "no more people starting in their 30s", and only wanting people that can be big stars on the main roster and box office draws. The midget quote is verbatim a quote from Meltzer's WWE source apparently.

• Holy crap does tonight's WOR open with the bleakest possible NXT news. Nothing that will shock anyone based on this week but Dave clearly has first-hand details he didn't yesterday and...oh boy.
  • Dave says HHH and HBK did not pick the NXT cuts. Vince, Prichard and Laurenaitis did. NXT lost the war and they're going to change, back toward an older style of development. Big guys, young guys
  • Dave says there are divisive opinions about wrestling among the people in WWE and this is who has Vince's ear this week. They're going back to pre-fighting AEW, pre-"Let's out indie the indies" NXT, Dave says the Curtis Axel era of NXT
  • Dave was given exact wording, doesn't say from who but seems like a company source or memo. Reads it off. "No more midgets. No one starting in their 30s. They want people who can be box office attractions and main characters."
  • To be clear, that quoted part in the previous tweet is the thing from a source Dave read off. The LITERAL WORDING was "No more midgets". WOO WE'RE TURNING THE CLOCKS BACK 20 YEARS BABY.
  • Dave notes there will always be exceptions to the rule, like how WWE still wants to keep Adam Cole, who is in fact not tall.
  • As for Adam Cole, Dave assumes part of the meeting they had with him Friday at Smackdown was to offer him a main roster spot if he stays. Main brand writers have been told to come up with storyline ideas for him.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

No more short guys (the word they used is offensive but are we shocked?) but give Adam Cole a cool million?

Focus on big guys who can be box office attractions when y'all absolutely refuse to let anybody get TOO over?

What a shitty bunch of assholes. Fuck Vince and co. Scumbags. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

For the record (as I am listening to it now) - I think Dave confused Curtis Axel with Bo Dallas

Either way - basically he meant them going back to basically the start of NXT TV (So when folks like Seth Rollins, Big E and the Wyatts were all champs). He specifically said pre-Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens time period

I don’t even mind turning NXT into the Power Plant with 26 fungible CAW Mark Jindrak templates. I mean, I’ll probably watch that show. But if that report is true, yeah, Triple H is at a dead end in his career (until the old man changes his mind again, anyway). Not sure where he goes from here other than sucking it up, sir-yes-sir and cranking up “Move Along” for the Diva Search.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

For the record (as I am listening to it now) - I think Dave confused Curtis Axel with Bo Dallas

Either way - basically he meant them going back to basically the start of NXT TV (So when folks like Seth Rollins, Big E and the Wyatts were all champs). He specifically said pre-Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens time period

Yeah see I’d be cool with that. To me at least, Gargano/Andrade is both the apex of NXT and the start of its downfall. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Jinder Mahal will finally get his NXT title run!

• Sad 1